Thread: GLD regional series rules question

Default GLD regional series rules question

Anyone have any idea what this means?

"A. Races
    For 2013, all Regional Races in Great Lakes Division shall be eligible to be Championship races. Only one regional race per regional sanction number may be counted (Qualifying Races will not count). Only one sanction per day per race track may be counted. Endurance races shall not be championship races. Regions must request championship status for their races by the Spring Training Seminar for the current year."

Does this mean that if a region schedules a triple or quad that the region must specify which of the two sanction numbered races which happen to be on the same day are to be counted for the championship?

Or, do both races count, but the driver can only count one of the two races?

The term "blah blah only one can be counted" seems to imply the latter.
    Jim Hardesty
    ITC 1986 Honda Civic Diablo Rojo Verde
    Never argue your tab at the end of the night. Remember, you're hammered and they’re sober.

It means that only one sanctioned regional race per day will be counted toward GLDIV points. So for the Nelson Quad in October only two of the four races will count toward points instead of all four (one race per day). Now how they'll determine which daily race counts is unclear to me.
    Last edited by dhardison; 12-30-2012 at 10:47 PM.
    Dan
    2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013 Great Lakes Division ITB Champion

I bet it'll just be something the divisional points keeper will do. They'll only count one race per day towards your season points total, and will just pick whichever one gave the most points. Purely speculation though.

And yes, I'd be willing to bet that this is the direct affect of the Nelson quad, which had pretty much become a "must do" for anyone who was attempting to win a regional championship. A total points grab. Keep going down that road, and someone comes out with a three day "sextuple".
    Kevin
    2010 FP Runoffs & Super Sweep Champion
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    2008 & 2009 ITA ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX

I guess one mans points grab is another man's super cool event event with lots of entries.

Most people don't run for points anyway so in the end it makes little practical difference. But it will be unfortunate if the perception of the quad event is that it is no longer a quad and is just a jumped up double.

This also takes the possibility of a triple weekend (qual-race race-race) out of the mix. Which is unfortunate. Looks like we're locking ourselves into the old school double format.

I'd like to know where the push for this came from. I doubt it was a groundswell from competitors (aka the customers).
    Jim Hardesty
    Never argue your tab at the end of the night. Remember, you're hammered and they’re sober.

Quote Originally Posted by jumbojimbo View Post
    I guess one mans points grab is another man's super cool event event with lots of entries.
    LOL! Well said...

God forbid we actually have a fun race weekend!!!
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

Quote Originally Posted by jumbojimbo View Post
    I'd like to know where the push for this came from. I doubt it was a groundswell from competitors (aka the customers).
    I really don't know for sure, but I'd be willing to guess that it was driven by the ever battling regions in the division. If one starts stepping on the toes of others, feathers get ruffled, and actions result. It's absolutely no mystery or secret that the Nelson Quad was having a serious effect on the entry numbers of other regionals throughout the season.
    Kevin
    2010 FP Runoffs & Super Sweep Champion
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    2008 & 2009 ITA ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX

I thought the Nelson quad was an awesome idea for an end of the year race weekend. 4x points available and 4 races in 2 days. It is also a great way for the region to get a large car count at Nelson (in October no less)! I only went this past year for the points. I'm not a fan of the tire ramps and lack of (flat) run off area. (The grass is not flat...). The people are great and I like being at the track - it just isn't high on my 'list'. I was vocal that all sanction # races on a weekend should count towards points. Anyone chasing points will show up to 'defend' as needed. (That is why i went and i believe Dan H. was there for the same reason). I know if it were my region and my home track - I'd push for the same thing. I don't agree with limiting the number of races on a weekend that can count for points. I would like to see more of our regional weekends go to a format like the quad. I know we have been talking about doing a triple with qualifying sat followed by a race and then 2 sanctioned races on Sunday. This rule means that only 2 of the races count towards points now. I agree that this rule limits a regions ability to try something new (at least from a points perspective). All just my .02 (as usual).
    Matt Downing
    1995 Honda Civic EX Coupe - ITA
    Ohio Valley Region, SCCA

I emailed the GLDiv committee with the following question(s):

My question surrounds the new points rule as follows (upper case section below):

"3.A. Races
    For 2013, all Regional Races in Great Lakes Division shall be eligible to be Championship races. ONLY ONE REGIONAL RACE PER REGIONAL SANCTION NUMBER MAY BE COUNTED. (QUALIFYING RACES WILL NOT COUNT). ONLY ONE SANCTION PER DAY PER RACE TRACK MAY BE COUNTED. Endurance races shall not be championship races. Regions must request championship status for their races by the Spring Training Seminar for the current year."

Using the Nelson Quad weekend as an example, who decides which single race is counted per day for GLDiv points? Is it based on your best finishing position among the two?

I received the following response:

I’ll answer this as a member of the GLD Regional Championship Series Committee. The 2013 RCS Rules that are posted on the GLD website are still proposed rules at this time. This reflects discussions within the Committee, and will be voted on by the Committee by the 2013 Spring Training (March 16th). This intent of this rule is to limit the importance of any one race weekend. What the Committee has seen for the past two years that the NEO Quad has been in place, was that there were large swings in the RCS results based off of the NEO Quad weekend. Competitors that had worked hard over the entire season were losing out if they were unable to attend that one weekend, to competitors that show up for that, and maybe one other weekend. While we do not want to stifle NEO’s efforts to host good competition, we do not feel it is fair to make a single weekend event so important to the championship.

To hopefully answer your question, it is going to be up to NEO to declare which sanction they want to count toward the RCS points. I’ve had discussions with NEO on this and expect them to decide prior to Spring Training so that we can place it in the RCS schedule.
    Dan
    2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013 Great Lakes Division ITB Champion

Email sent.
    Matt Downing
    1995 Honda Civic EX Coupe - ITA
    Ohio Valley Region, SCCA

i think you can limit the points to two races and still have the multiple race set-up.

just have the qualifying be progressive. that is, the grid position for Race 4 is a function of the finishing position in race 3, etc.

folks are still going to race hard for that better qualifying spot for the "points" race.

i may write an email too. but mine would be more along the lines that some of us have bothered to not participate in the series because of the Quad at Nelson. a series championship should be based on more events and more sites. putting so many eggs in a not very nice basket may not help the overall series.
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

Last year the series was based on 5 races at Nelson, 5 races at MO and 2 races at Grattan.

Based on this year's rule that would have been 5 races at MO, 3 races at Nelson and 2 races at Grattan.

This year based on the schedule it will be 7 races MO, 3 races Nelson and 2 races Grattan.

60% of the counted races at one track. That doesn't seem like an improvement in a balanced series.
    Jim Hardesty