Thread: A fresh look...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'll preface this by saying that I have not read through the STL rules, so I don't know all the ins and outs. I'm curious as to why the folks looking at Toyota mills are not looking at the 4A-GE. Are the STL prep limits that restrictive to get sufficient power out of one? And it's too bad the AE86 Corolla is too old, as that seems like it would be a great STL car.

Bill, the "big port" 4A-GE suffers from it's restrictive intake, the small port less so, but both have poor port design no matter what class you put it in. while the 4A motors share many nominal dimensions with the honda B16, preppared to the STL limits of cam lift and compression the 16V 4AGE would still make roughly 15-20% less power than the honda. the 20V 4AGE has a much better head design despite the complexity of the extra valves, and can get into B16 specific output territory.

gotta shoot for the target.

Thanks Chip. Like I said, I haven't read up on the STL rules.

What's a realistic power expectation for an STL B16A?

roughly 180 crank is what I'd imagine... hell we got about that much in ITS without trying too hard. I'd think guys like Blake could massage even more from it, though the B16 is pretty much right on the STL max as delivered for lift and CR, the cam profile may be changed and there's all the ignition and ECU mods that you can do so there's probobly a bit more in there.

don't forget about .040 overbore, crank pulley, AC/PS delete, forged pistons, value springs, possible VTEC delete and other legal STL tricks. I would *hope* 175+ at the wheels. Others have mentioned 185whp, yet no one will know until someone builds it and show us the dyno sheet from a trusted source.
    Last edited by mossaidis; 01-09-2013 at 11:12 AM.
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

Excuse my hi-jacking but with all this talk of building the Honda B16… I have that drive train in my ’99 (ex-SSC) Si and I would be willing to sell the motor & trans. Located in northern Indiana

miles on the motor?
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.