Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A fresh look...

Default A fresh look...

What would everyone build if they couldn't do a FWD HondAcura or a Miata? I am looking for something different.

I think the chassis limits (other than year) are gone other than the Lotii. So who has some fresh ideas?

FD RX-7 with Mazda 1.8?
    NSX with 2.0L Acura?
    240SX with 2.0L Nissan?
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

The FD would be interesting and pretty cool.

How would an NSX work with little class legal brakes, skinny tires and 7" wide wheels? Might work well, could be teh suk.

If i were doing a 240sx, I would lobby for the non us-spec SR16ve or find a way to make power with a ca18de. The motor seems to have potential, do a good set of custom cams, solid shim under bucket lifters etc. I think either engine has much better power to weight potential than a 2.0, the weigh is just too damn high for 2.0L RWD.

Jeff Young has tossed around the idea of a 90's era Lotus Elan. FWD, and Strut front end on a tiny car would make for a killer light weight package if the engine could make decent power.

I think a VW Corrado with a 1.8 5 valve may have potential, but my VW knowledge ends with A1 chassis cars and 2 valve 1.8's
    C&R Motorsports
    2007 ITS MX5, 1995 ITA Miata, 1997 STL Miata
    3 time VIR 13hr ITA winner
    2011 SARRC STL Champion

STL, I'm assuming? I'm all for the latter. But a VE if I can get it!!
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

Crappy to disallow Lotus cars I must say
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

the FWD elan with a "Lotus" 2ZZ-GE. unf. if you can keep oil pressure in it and tires under it...

Was dreaming of a MR2 Spyder with the 2ZZ but that's 2515#s now - and that's a lot of lead in a ZZW, I don't care if I CAN put it anywhere I want.

So I'm all about an MZR LF Protege or early 6 or 3. 2633 lbs (which yeah, is F'ing heavy), easy 200 whp, mazda, modern, mazda, plentiful engine cores, mazda, everywhere you look cars, did I mention mazda?, good support for the 'gay and the 6 in AWR and cork and from the teams from the WC Touring heyday, mazda, good handling, known chassis, mazda...

Quote Originally Posted by Chip42 View Post
    the FWD elan with a "Lotus" 2ZZ-GE. unf. if you can keep oil pressure in it and tires under it...

Was dreaming of a MR2 Spyder with the 2ZZ but that's 2515#s now - and that's a lot of lead in a ZZW, I don't care if I CAN put it anywhere I want.

So I'm all about an MZR LF Protege or early 6 or 3. 2633 lbs (which yeah, is F'ing heavy), easy 200 whp, mazda, modern, mazda, plentiful engine cores, mazda, everywhere you look cars, did I mention mazda?, good support for the 'gay and the 6 in AWR and cork and from the teams from the WC Touring heyday, mazda, good handling, known chassis, mazda...
    So I forgot about the brake number, will have to look into that. 290mm. Just throwing this out there, does it make sense to have the same limits for the same weights? I still wonder if having a limit in size tied to cc's is more fair. Cars with over 1000lbs difference can use the same size brakes.

I was never a fan of that 'Lotus'... What MZR are you talking about?
    Andy Bettencourt

MZR LF is the 2.0L, biggest thing you can drop in to STL. in a protege (strut front) or 3 (strut front I think) it's a 2633# car, in a 6 it's 2700# (SLA front).

yeah, brakes are possibly an issue for the heavy cars, relatively speaking, but frankly maxed brakes on a light car with DOT tires of a max 225 section means you probobly have more brake than you can use - so there's likely a middle ground.

Buy my 240SX and drop your engine of choice in it.

has 'cheap' coilovers on it, but otherwise chassis is pretty much there.
    brakes are done, cage is done, interior is as stripped as you're going to get it.

Buy the car and spares, and it will include an Autronic SMC ECU already programmed for a 450hp SR20DET. drop in an SR and haul ass in STU. choke it down and run in STL..
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

Quote Originally Posted by Chip42 View Post
    MZR LF is the 2.0L, biggest thing you can drop in to STL. in a protege (strut front) or 3 (strut front I think) it's a 2633# car, in a 6 it's 2700# (SLA front).

yeah, brakes are possibly an issue for the heavy cars, relatively speaking, but frankly maxed brakes on a light car with DOT tires of a max 225 section means you probobly have more brake than you can use - so there's likely a middle ground.
    Agreed, which makes you wonder why a brake limit at all. I read today that the OEM brakes on the FD are 292mm. Naturally.
    Andy Bettencourt

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    Agreed, which makes you wonder why a brake limit at all. I read today that the OEM brakes on the FD are 292mm. Naturally.
    That's no big deal, throw the rotors on a lathe and machine off 2mm from the OD, taper the outer edge of the pads to match. You will never miss that 2mm of rotor.
    C&R Motorsports
    2007 ITS MX5, 1995 ITA Miata, 1997 STL Miata
    3 time VIR 13hr ITA winner
    2011 SARRC STL Champion

Did we decide if you can take a turbo off an engine to run in STL?

Mazda 323 GTX without the turbo
    Honda Civic wagon RTAWD with a B swap

Are VW and Porsche considered like makes. Some Porsche cars come with VW engines in them and VW owns some % of Porsche.

Boxster with a VW engine
    Blake Meredith

VW in a Pcar is explicitly legal from a fastrack this or last year. VW in boxter = legal.

Quote Originally Posted by bamfp View Post
    Did we decide if you can take a turbo off an engine to run in STL?
    I'm pretty sure thats been declared legal.

Quote Originally Posted by tyler raatz View Post
    The FD would be interesting and pretty cool.

How would an NSX work with little class legal brakes, skinny tires and 7" wide wheels? Might work well, could be teh suk.

If i were doing a 240sx, I would lobby for the non us-spec SR16ve or find a way to make power with a ca18de. The motor seems to have potential, do a good set of custom cams, solid shim under bucket lifters etc. I think either engine has much better power to weight potential than a 2.0, the weigh is just too damn high for 2.0L RWD.

Jeff Young has tossed around the idea of a 90's era Lotus Elan. FWD, and Strut front end on a tiny car would make for a killer light weight package if the engine could make decent power.

I think a VW Corrado with a 1.8 5 valve may have potential, but my VW knowledge ends with A1 chassis cars and 2 valve 1.8's
    That Élan has double wishbones all around.

I'd think long and hard About a Mk2 MR2 with a 3S-GTE or getting a 3S-GE made legal.

Quote Originally Posted by tyler raatz View Post
    That's no big deal, throw the rotors on a lathe and machine off 2mm from the OD, taper the outer edge of the pads to match. You will never miss that 2mm of rotor.
    cmon... that's a whopping 1/4 sqin of swept area... worth at least a second per lap!

Glenn Lawton
    GSMmotorsports
    #14 ITS RX7
    NARRC ITS Champion 2012
    NERRC ITS Champion 2013 12 11 10 09 08
    NERRC STU Champion 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie View Post
    That Élan has double wishbones all around.

I'd think long and hard About a Mk2 MR2 with a 3S-GTE or getting a 3S-GE made legal.
    yup - 97ish JDM Gen 3 3SGE from the MR2 G Limited would be my choice. though a de-truboed GTE migt do very well too.

either way, at 2800 #s, that's a lot of MR2 to haul about.

Hmmmm... K20 powered S2000 an option? What about an MX3 with one of the hottish engine options thrown out above? 1st Gen MR2 with the 2ZZ? Isn't there a 20v JDM engine that will bolt in (if it were legal)? Maybe the 90/91 Corolla GTS?
    Christian in FL | Something white with Honda on the valve cover...
    FASTtech Limited- DL1, Schroth, & Recaro Goodness
    LTB Motorsports- The Cheapest Place for Momo
    TrackSpeed Motorsports- OMP, Racetech, & Driver Gear

MZR in the late eighties protege 323 GTX. Thats a pretty cool idea. Or Even the later Protege AWD with a New MZR
    All posts are made by a fat old guy with a crappy old car that isnt supported by a factory anymore and therefore should not be taken seriously, EVER

We buy our tires at WalMart 205/50-15 NT-01 $148.00 last all season and go faster as they wear out........

Driver Skills Development, 7's Racing Skunk Works
    it7racing.com

Quote Originally Posted by Xian View Post
    Hmmmm... K20 powered S2000 an option? What about an MX3 with one of the hottish engine options thrown out above? 1st Gen MR2 with the 2ZZ? Isn't there a 20v JDM engine that will bolt in (if it were legal)? Maybe the 90/91 Corolla GTS?
    the S2000 is excluded from STL, so no dice there.

Christian hit on an oldy but goldy in 1st gen MR2 with a 20V. it is the easiest option on that chassis, and with the most recent round of OMG RWD!!!!!11 adder changes, it's now 2236# (RWD 1600cc). previously, it was too much car for the motor, now it's an option. (I have my fat ass in the ITB car at 2335 with over 25# in ballast and no etreme lightening efforts). Not worth the effort for the 2ZZ/AW11 combo, IMHO. the 20V 4AGE has a way better head than the 16v, not just because of the extra valves, making it on par with the B16 in specific output.

hell - a 20V 4AGE in the MR2 spyder chassis sounds pretty compelling now. ZERO issues with weight, that's for sure.

I think the S2000 chasis is fine in STL, the S2000 motor is not.
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.