Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Proposed change to TIR table....

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    I don't. This would require approving and managing individually vehicle prep specs.

Do you trust the same committee that you're blasting above to review, approve, and manage those individual considerations?

Blech!
    My take is that Matt is talking about wholesale N/A changes, not WC-style individual "give this car one thing, that car a different thing, and that other one something completely different."
    -----------------------
    Jarrod Igou
    ITR/STU BMW 325i, #92
    Des Moines Valley Region

yeah - really if a 2.0L engine makes enoguh power to weigh X then you must know what that power is. Just add to the rules "you can run a mainfold of XXX restricted design but otherwise, have fun. oh, and breathe througha hole this big."

give it a weight penalty and a SIR based on displacement so you can play with them, too. just in case.

sounds a lot like what EVERYONE was saying back with they started trying to pull these classes from the trash in mid 2010, an effort that has bared fruit but has yet to seem close to complete. and yeah, I relaize stock everything else now becomes the restriction, and the expectation will be that the heads open up, then the valves, then... you have a displacement to weight class with stock parts rules, expect bitchin.

I was referring to speeding up the N/A cars as a whole. And I am totally against the SIR shenanigans that GT cars are dealing with.

So how you do this is a mystery..
    some cars need a better flowing intake manifold and TB, some need head work, some need valves, some need 13:1 compression.

how do you open these rules up without opening the barn door wide for everyone? I don't envy the task.
    Last edited by Matt93SE; 12-18-2012 at 06:36 PM.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

Last year (or the year before) an idea was tossed around to set wholesale class-wide specs on performance-limiting devices such as throttle body/choke size, cam size, compression ratio (the latter two we already do, of course), etc. In fact, we briefly discussed the idea here on this board, IIRC (anyone want to search?). I don't think the CRB is willing to go that direction right now, especially given we've already made some changes to the turbo cars, but the idea has merit.

But individual vehicle allowances, like what World Challenge did on Mazda intake manifolds (for example)? Blech! - GA

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    James, look: there are no plans to ban turbo cars from STU. There's not even any discussion of possibly discussing that. It's just not an option on the table.

I understand your (and others) concerns, and the committee is going to consistently adjust the regs to the best of our ability to equalize competition - generally - between turbo and non-turbo cars. But we are not going to ban them from STU. So if you are already convinced that these cars cannot coexist then while I'd really lament losing you, STU is not going to be the class for you...call me next time you're around here, I'd love to have dinner and a beer with you again and we can discuss it. - GA
    Had a quick talk with John Norris yesterday. He was telling me of the days when he raced turbo's for Mitsubitshi's factory team. He said, "For every method you come up with to limit a turbo, there's a way around it." So, ultimatly if there are turbo cars in the class, then anything else is racing as a back marker.

Are you going to be at the convention, is it still in Veas? I might drop in there because of my activity with our regions TT program, Vegas is s a day trip from my house.

James

Nope, no Vegas for me (unless someone else is buying...?) But I think all of the CRB is going there, and I'm sure you'll find some other STAC guys too (lists on SCCA's web site, behind the member wall). Look 'em up, bend their ears. - GA