Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Contact impound

Quote Originally Posted by ulfelder View Post
    I want to like this idea, but ...

Take as an example an SM race at the Glen. It's entirely possible to do a little consensual bump-drafting with 5 or 6 different cars during a 9-lap race. No big deal, thumbs-up all around, you push me toward the Bus Stop one lap, I push you the next ...

Is a driver expected to fill out a form for each incident of contact? Hell, how would you remember all the car numbers?
    I thought we were talking about metal to metal contact?

For example if Steve and I give each other a push (not in a braking zone), Steve and I would be ok with that.

If Steve and I rubbed door handles, chances are the two of us would talk about it anyway to see how that happened and apologize.

-Vick

Quote Originally Posted by dickita15 View Post
    Steve,
    If you touch someone in a consensual manner you better make sure it really is consensual.
    Or the FBI will investigate and you will resign in disgrace… opps wrong forum.
    ....somethin', somethin', rear ended.
    Ed Funk
    NER ITA CRX, ITB Civic, ITC CRX (wanna buy a Honda?)
    Smart as a horse, hung like Einstein!

For example if Steve and I give each other a push (not in a braking zone), Steve and I would be ok with that.
    This has been a big discussion in the past especially on the SM board. Have I ever done it, absolutely. However it's not technically legal per the GCR. It's more of a regional and being smart on where it's done.

Would you do it right before start/finish at the Glen where all flaggers can easily see you do it?
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    This has been a big discussion in the past especially on the SM board. Have I ever done it, absolutely. However it's not technically legal per the GCR. It's more of a regional and being smart on where it's done.

Would you do it right before start/finish at the Glen where all flaggers can easily see you do it?
    I tried really hard in July on the pit straight at WGI with Paul Curran....just couldn't quite get there. Starter was lookin' at us every time we came through.
    Ed Funk

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Funk View Post
    ...just couldn't quite get there.
    How often do you have this problem?
    Jerry
    NER South

Less frequently, now that I have a more agreeable pharmacist,
    Ed Funk

Good idea notwithstanding, no one has still really said what the purpose is. Are we assuming that people will race "better" because otherwise they might have to do some ...*gasp*... paperwork after a race? Again, I think it is a great idea if used to reprimand and document the guilty, not just to assign busywork. If someone keeps a spreadsheet of the info from past forms at the track and uses it to punish repeat/aggregious offenders, then sure.

Also, bump drafting in SM is not M2M, it's P2P.
    '77 Mazda RX-3
    NER SCCA E-Prod

It's not about busy work, but forcing people to be more accountable.

I think it's a good idea. Regarding providing some additional time to cool off, I also agree but drivers could still report to this impound first, then be required to come back after reviewing video and speaking with other people.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Quote Originally Posted by team-gpracing View Post
    If someone keeps a spreadsheet of the info from past forms at the track and uses it to punish repeat/aggregious offenders, then sure.
    No can do. It won't and should not matter how many times your name appears in that spreadsheet -- if none of the individual incidents resulted in the SOMs or CS officially finding you at fault, then you weren't at fault. If you weren't at fault, then it has no value in determining the punishment for the current infraction. Even if you were at fault, it bears no value in determining the punishment for the current infraction unless the driver is on probation.

You want to reduce the incidence of contact? Then grow a set, throw paper and hope that the SOMs become vertebrates and assign at least a reprimand (1 Point on your license).

what Dave said.
    Every region has their 'frequent offenders', yet there's no paper trail since it's usually minor contact and often considered a racing incident. But if you have one driver with 2-3 racing incidents per weekend, their file will eventually get thick enough to become obvious.

The recordkeeping behind the contact reports is what this whole concept revolves around, and that's the big grey area that would/should/could be left up to each region. "Must be reported" and "must take action" are two completely different things.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

I think that the accumulated body of "evidence" potentially serves as the context for any action that might be levied, not as "proof" that someone is guilty of something. It tracks patterns of behavior that can then alert folks - drivers and officials alike - that they should pay attention to an individual, rather than just assuming there's nothing wrong...

K

Who keeps the little black book? Who has access to it's data?
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

It's not about busy work, but forcing people to be more accountable.
    So by making people write down how they think the other guy caused contact is being more accountable?

You don't need to make a gentleman and good driver "more accountable", they already are....because they're gentleman (no offense intended ladies). And forcing a "multiple offender" to fill out a form surely isn't going to make them care about not causing more crashes. The "accountability" in question shouldn't be in the physical writing of the form, but in the (potential) action that is taken after it is written. That's all I'm sayin'.

I just want to make sure that the forms get filed away and put to good use, not just scribbled down and tossed.

In regard to the cool off period, how do you make sure that the driver comes back and actually fills it out?
    '77 Mazda RX-3
    NER SCCA E-Prod

Quote Originally Posted by team-gpracing View Post
    bump drafting in SM is not M2M, it's P2P.

P2P = Pinata to Pinata ?

Attached Images Attached Images

Glenn Lawton
    GSMmotorsports
    #14 ITS RX7
    NARRC ITS Champion 2012
    NERRC ITS Champion 2013 12 11 10 09 08
    NERRC STU Champion 2010

[QUOTE=team-gpracing;342888

In regard to the cool off period, how do you make sure that the driver comes back and actually fills it out?[/QUOTE]

Electronic Ankle bracelet!
    Jerry
    NER South

As far as a cool off time! If a guys pissed he's gonna go find the other driver asap. Would it not be better to have that happen where it could be monitored?
    Jerry
    NER South

Quote Originally Posted by lawtonglenn View Post
    P2P = Pinata to Pinata ?

I was thinking plastic, but that's WAAAAAAAY better!
    '77 Mazda RX-3
    NER SCCA E-Prod

I have done it there, yes. Also on the front straight at Thunderbolt and LRP......no one said I was intelligent.However I have only ever given a bump to guys who asked for it.

That being said, I have learned that if I'm at someone's bumper just before start finish, I may be able to pull a pass off, so why am I going to give my speed to someone else there when I can use it to make up a position? There probably is more bump drafting in SM than is necessary.

-Vick

Quote Originally Posted by ner88 View Post
    As far as a cool off time! If a guys pissed he's gonna go find the other driver asap. Would it not be better to have that happen where it could be monitored?
    And we could charge admission for the really good exchanges.

Seriously -- Having observed and facilitated these discussions, I think this is a great idea. Any info received should be used by the Chief Steward and the Chairman of the SOM to monitor trends. If anything is serious enough to require action, then it should be taken immediately. If someone is spending more time filling out reports than driving on the track, then it might be time for both the competitors and the official to write paper on that individual. And maybe suggest a new hobby for them.

I do like the idea of the simpler form.
    Jason Benagh
    Steward - NER SCCA
    ITB 1995 VW Golf

[taking it a bit far]
    How's this?

first time contact = check box form
    second time to fill out form= full written description form
    third time= full written description of incident, AND signed by the person/people you contacted
    fourth time = have the guy you contacted fill out the form for you, you sign it.
    fifth time = write it in blood
    [/too far]

IMO, if something is actually done with the forms regarding a filing system and referring back to the files, something will be done in short time.
    My first thought is the stewards are going to get tired of missing the free beer while waiting on the same few people to fill out the forms every race. they will then either stop doing the forms completely (sorry, mandated by GCR.. have to do your job!), or they will do something about the repeat offenders so they will no longer have to spend their afternoons in detention with the ruffians.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7