Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Contact impound

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Contact impound

There was an interesting discussion this weekend during the Ne Div convention. Apparently Nasa has something at events called Contact Impound designed to make drivers accountable for metal to metal contact. The suggestion that evolved was to have an area in the impound are that if you have any metal to metal contact at the end of a session you need to stop briefly and fill out a short form describing the situation. No interrogation but just a brief what happen, who was at fault in your opinion and was it a big deal. After you turned in your form you would be free to leave.
    Would you guys view this as a positive thing?
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Absolutely.

What happens to the forms? Is it like when you got in trouble in elementary school and you had to copy pages of the dictionary so your teacher can throw them out later or does something get done with them? For example, 3 strikes and you're out?

I think it sounds like an interesting idea, just want more info.
    '77 Mazda RX-3
    NER SCCA E-Prod

NASA does this now. Seems to reduce the SM contact.
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

Stupid GCR question.. aren't you already supposed to report to impound post-race after any metal-metal contact?

Edit: Yes, I'm all for it as well. last few races, I've had my share of unintended contact, but fully accepted the responsibility..
    Last edited by Matt93SE; 11-12-2012 at 10:45 AM.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

An excellent idea. More documentation into the system is a good thing, and the anticipation of *any* oversight might have a damping effect on tomfoolery.

K

Agreed.

Seemed to work years ago when a certain Steward took pictures of all the SRF noses to monitor bump-drafting contact.

Any comments Terry?
    Matt Green

ITAC Member- 2012-??
    Tire Shaver at TreadZone- www.treadzone.com
    #96 Dodge Shelby Charger ITB- Mine, mine, all mine!
    I was around when they actually improved Improved Touring! (and now I'm trying not to mess it up!)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Absolutely.
    + 1.

It would facilitate 'discussion' as well...sometimes better left until cooler heads prevailed, sometimes better to discuss right away,
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Although cool down time may be good, more often drivers never get to talk about what happen or nothing gets done.
    At the two NASA events I attended, the Miata guys had the least amount of paper....It was the bigbore guys doing all the writing!
    Jerry
    NER South

I like this idea.

I suggest that they be submitted after a cool down period. I assume that these will be used as evidence should there be a protest and to track a pattern of behavior. The description on the form may not really represent the facts, but instead a slanted reaction in anger should they be filled out as soon as the helmets come off. Cooler heads filling out the form may bring clarity and avoid further escalation.
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

A cool down period may be a good idea.

NASA NE we don't have contact impound, but you have to fill out a contact report if you have any contact. If one party to contact fills out the form, and you don't......you're in trouble.

The forms can be funny. Especially when a slow car taps the rear bumper of a fast car exiting a corner.

-Vick

Rob Thiele: My only concern is that sometimes it takes a breather after something happens. If you force to document things immediately when emotions are still high, it may cement uncompromising positions that may otherwise look different after a paddock conversation and views and advice from other people later.
    Andy Bettencourt: It would facilitate 'discussion' as well...sometimes better left until cooler heads prevailed, sometimes better to discuss right away,
    Dan Sheppard: Although cool down time may be good, more often drivers never get to talk about what happen or nothing gets done.
    Chris Raffaelli: I suggest that they be submitted after a cool down period. I assume that these will be used as evidence should there be a protest and to track a pattern of behavior.
    I intend to start slow and keep an eye on the process. I suspect that most contacts (at least in Pro IT) will be able to be addressed fairly quickly. If there is something really contentious, someone from our staff will probably be on hand to moderate.

I doubt that I will use pre-filled (name, car number, etc.) until mid season. It will NOT be considered an honor to have your own personalized witness statements.

See ya at the races

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by dickita15 View Post
    There was an interesting discussion this weekend during the Ne Div convention. Apparently Nasa has something at events called Contact Impound designed to make drivers accountable for metal to metal contact. The suggestion that evolved was to have an area in the impound are that if you have any metal to metal contact at the end of a session you need to stop briefly and fill out a short form describing the situation. No interrogation but just a brief what happen, who was at fault in your opinion and was it a big deal. After you turned in your form you would be free to leave.
    Would you guys view this as a positive thing?
    Damm...

Mickey is going to get writer's cramp...

Abhi

I liek the idea, and would like it more on a national level and having the documentation available to or recorded with the national office. a trend of "harmless" MTM reports could be good background info for a guy who also has a few "racing incidents" and support the assertation by his competitors that he is overly aggressive, generally.

and, deterents are good. the bad side is if the group or whatever steward decides to be overly involved on the front end, that could be bad. get the reports, read them, make a decision and I'm for it.

Agree too. That's a very good idea.

What would happen in cases where one driver has to go through medical for checkout, and/or where at least one car comes in on the flatbed? Would that collision be considered under investigation until both drivers/entrants have had a chance to file their contact report forms?
    Astrophysathingy / goaheadtakethewheel.com
    99 Civic SI #9 WDCR ITS/STL
    93 Corolla / 97 PDX Miata

I want to like this idea, but ...

Take as an example an SM race at the Glen. It's entirely possible to do a little consensual bump-drafting with 5 or 6 different cars during a 9-lap race. No big deal, thumbs-up all around, you push me toward the Bus Stop one lap, I push you the next ...

Is a driver expected to fill out a form for each incident of contact? Hell, how would you remember all the car numbers?

Steve Ulfelder
    Author of Purgatory Chasm and The Whole Lie
    www.ulfelder.com

Quote Originally Posted by ulfelder View Post
    Take as an example an SM race at the Glen. It's entirely possible to do a little consensual bump-drafting with 5 or 6 different cars during a 9-lap race. No big deal...
    Except it's contrary to the regs and subject to the same sanctions as all other metal-to-metal contact...regardless of intent and consensus. - GA

Quote Originally Posted by ulfelder View Post
    I want to like this idea, but ...

Take as an example an SM race at the Glen. It's entirely possible to do a little consensual bump-drafting with 5 or 6 different cars during a 9-lap race. No big deal, thumbs-up all around, you push me toward the Bus Stop one lap, I push you the next ...

Is a driver expected to fill out a form for each incident of contact? Hell, how would you remember all the car numbers?
    I thought we were talking about metal to metal contact?

For example if Steve and I give each other a push (not in a braking zone), Steve and I would be ok with that.

If Steve and I rubbed door handles, chances are the two of us would talk about it anyway to see how that happened and apologize.

-Vick

Kai
    I would assume that if only one driver reported the contact someone official may investigate and find out why the other driver did not. Could be he was tied up as you describe, could be he did not know they touched, could be someone got the wrong car. These forms would not necessarily start an official action or they might depending on the situation.
    It certainly would give the club officials a better handle on what is going go out there.
    I do not see it as a big deal if I write something on the form right after the session and after reflection or reviewing video I decided it happened differently. I see that as understandable.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Steve,
    If you touch someone in a consensual manner you better make sure it really is consensual.
    Or the FBI will investigate and you will resign in disgrace… opps wrong forum.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7