Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lrp 2013

Default Lrp 2013

Well, I finnaly got available dates from Lime Rock.
    Looks like NER will be holding our regional on June 21 & 22 and the NARRCoff will be on September 20&21.
    Because of multiple conflicts these are the only dates that will work!
    So, my question to you is, the NER regional format:
    We have been running a drivers school/single qualifying schedule on Friday and two regional races on Saturday.
    Would no drivers school and two qualifying/test sessions be more desirable on Friday?
    Jerry
    NER South

Can we offer a second driver's school at NHMS? Or would we be stuck with only one driver's school this year? And if the latter, is that necessarily a bad thing?

I think it is more important to make it easy for new drivers to join ... keep the driver's school

Glenn Lawton
    GSMmotorsports
    #14 ITS RX7
    NARRC ITS Champion 2012
    NERRC ITS Champion 2013 12 11 10 09 08
    NERRC STU Champion 2010

One of the factors to note is that Jersey has added a school in recent years JUST before the NER one at NHMS. So if you needed 2 schools, you could be done by May 1.

Food for thought.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

And, as I recall, Summit has one nearby that timeframe as well...and then there's the one at Watkins Glen in the Fall...

The 2-day limit at LRP really screws with trying to run multiple events there.

Would be tough to lose the one drivers school at LRP for folks who live close to the track(big audience in CT/NY) and might want to rent/or tow cars to their first drivers school close to home. The other issue is NH weather earlier in the spring for a drivers school at NHMS.

Running with the school and the regional can be a little confusing, but in the past, I've used it as a test day when I'm also running the regional. It is never advertised as a test day, but I've always been welcomed to participate. I think I've run that school a total of 3 or 4 times.

On the other hand, a double regional wouldn't be a bad idea, so long as the entry fee isn't through the roof.

Both NJMP and Summit have requested drivers schools on March 23&24???

Last year we (NER) had 6 cars at NHMS and 23 at LRP, these schools were only 2 weeks apart. LRP is closed wheel only and NHMS had 1 open wheel car....
    Would the LRP students have been more likely to go to NHMS earlier, if we didn't have the LRP school??? How many were new/unlicensed students?
    We can't add a second school group to the LRP event and still run qualifying.

Also, keep in mind, SCCA offers new alternative schools for those who have some experience.
    Jerry
    NER South

Quote Originally Posted by BruceG View Post
    Would be tough to lose the one drivers school at LRP for folks who live close to the track(big audience in CT/NY) and might want to rent/or tow cars to their first drivers school close to home. The other issue is NH weather earlier in the spring for a drivers school at NHMS.
    No snow at NHMS on Memorial Day! (thats when the school was)
    Jerry
    NER South

Quote Originally Posted by Drew M View Post
    Running with the school and the regional can be a little confusing, but in the past, I've used it as a test day when I'm also running the regional. It is never advertised as a test day, but I've always been welcomed to participate. I think I've run that school a total of 3 or 4 times.

On the other hand, a double regional wouldn't be a bad idea, so long as the entry fee isn't through the roof.
    Please explain "through the roof"!
    Do the math...rental fee plus feeding folks....just south of $70K...and I haven't seen 2013 rental fees!
    Jerry
    NER South

Quote Originally Posted by ner88 View Post
    Please explain "through the roof"!
    Do the math...rental fee plus feeding folks....just south of $70K...and I haven't seen 2013 rental fees!
    ~$600 per car/driver for the weekend

No snow at NHMS on Memorial Day! (thats when the school was)
    Ooops///brain fart....I tried,Though.....LOL.

2 cent$
    Lime rock is home to most everyone's first trackday...with that said making the transition from trackdays to race school feels more comfortable at a track they are familiar with. To be honest NHMS is so terrible I only race there, And even then only for NARRC.
    Lime rock is also a mostly forgiving track compared to New Hampshire..I'm sure some people will disagree with me but I will think your wrong.
    It's close to the city and where most of your racers will be coming from.
    There were 6 cars at the April school at NHMS there were over 20 at lime rock.
    Lime rock is in June and the weather is usually spot on.
    With all that said its an easier day for most at lrp as well, close to home and an easy tow to get there.
    Keep the lime rock school
    PS...do you really need an extra practice and qualifier? Car setup should be good to go on race day...not really making any changes the day before a race.
    Last edited by 1stgen; 10-31-2012 at 04:04 PM.
    #72 ITE Scirocco
    NARRC ITE champion 2011

Both NJMP and Summit have requested drivers schools on March 23&24???
    That's Summit's traditional weekend. The NJMP date has already been moved to April 6/7.

The Summit school has been a double for the past few years. Jersey's was a double this year.
    Gregg Ginsberg
    '96 Civic EX -- MARRS ITA #72
    WDCR-SCCA Rookie of the Year 2003
    MARRS ITA/T3 Drivers rep

Quote Originally Posted by 1stgen View Post
    2 cent$
    Lime rock is home to most everyone's first trackday...with that said making the transition from trackdays to race school feels more comfortable at a track they are familiar with. To be honest NHMS is so terrible I only race there, And even then only for NARRC.
    Lime rock is also a mostly forgiving track compared to New Hampshire..I'm sure some people will disagree with me but I will think your wrong.
    With all that said its an easier day for most at lrp as well, close to home and an easy tow to get there.
    PS...do you really need an extra practice and qualifier? Car setup should be good to go on race day...not really making any changes the day before a race.
    What I tried to say.....LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by 1stgen View Post
    2 cent$
    Well I want to agree but I can't..I would never consider LRP forgiving, probably one of the most dangerous tracks we race on!
    It's not home to most, a large majority come from up north and travel much further than the Ct or NY folks.
    Do you need an extra practice/qual. ?
    I'm trying to offer the racers more track time for their money!
    I don't know about you but I don't race LRP because test time is so expensive and you get so little track time for your $.
    Schools are a lot of work for a lot of people to put on and certainly should not be done at a track that's cost per minute is higher than anyother!
    Didn't someone just say they join the school for track time???
    Jerry
    NER South

If you really think it through, the comment might have merit. While NHMS is certainly a more forgiving TRACK than Lime Rock, running a school there is a lot more hectic with more car-to-car incidents due to the nature of the corners. NHMS has more accidents like that while LRP has more single car crashes. LRP is easier to stay out of trouble if you drive within yourself.

So why not blow up the NHMS school and keep the LRP one with that test-day run group that has proven so successful?
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    If you really think it through, the comment might have merit. While NHMS is certainly a more forgiving TRACK than Lime Rock, running a school there is a lot more hectic with more car-to-car incidents due to the nature of the corners. NHMS has more accidents like that while LRP has more single car crashes. LRP is easier to stay out of trouble if you drive within yourself.

So why not blow up the NHMS school and keep the LRP one with that test-day run group that has proven so successful?
    Thank you for putting it a little more eloquently for me.....
    Lime rock IS forgiving....driver error is NOT.
    Most first time racers I have found are NOT from up north. You want new racers, not people who want to fill the school for seat time. Or am I seeing this incorrectly?
    I did my race school at lime rock and was licensed that day and was able to get my first race in on Saturday. Lime rock is my home track though and I do only live an hour away. I personally prefer the glen but that's not where you do the school.
    #72 ITE Scirocco
    NARRC ITE champion 2011

Default LRP National?

If the NER Regional and School is the above mentioned date any idea when the traditional MoHud John Stim National is scheduled?
    Last edited by jrem72; 10-31-2012 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew M View Post

the current setup is already a double regional... one qual on Fri + two races on Sat

the proposed alternative is also a double regional ... two qual on Fri + two races on Sat

there is no option for an additional race on Fri ... no racing on Fri at LRP is the rule

so to repeat Jerry's original question "do you want to trade the Fri school for a second qual"

I vote no

Glenn Lawton
    GSMmotorsports
    #14 ITS RX7
    NARRC ITS Champion 2012
    NERRC ITS Champion 2013 12 11 10 09 08
    NERRC STU Champion 2010