Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Lrp 2013

The drivers schools should be (and I think are by most involved)viewed as an investment. We need more racers. So even with a low turnout at New Hampshire, I would be in favor of keeping the school going. Or at least "formalizing" the new sign off system into the weekend.

The challenge continually faced is who should make this investment and absorb the associated loss? It's a tough call. Maybe somehow the costs should be shared by multiple regions that would benefit from the investment? Not sure how that could be structured or work.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    The challenge continually faced is who should make this investment and absorb the associated loss?
    The entrants, of course. Who else pays for this? Should any region subsidize the racing? I think not.

If "the entrants" feel strongly enough about reducing track time and increasing entry costs in order to, effectively, subsidize the racing schools, then so be it. My gut feeling is they'd say "no".

If I were starting from scratch today, I highly doubt I'd use the SCCA "ladder" to get a license, unless there was a class specific to SCCA that I just felt compelled to run solely. There's just too many other ways to do it, at more track time and lower cost.

GA

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    If I were starting from scratch today, I highly doubt I'd use the SCCA "ladder" to get a license, unless there was a class specific to SCCA that I just felt compelled to run solely. There's just too many other ways to do it, at more track time and lower cost.

GA
    This.
    Marcus
    miller-motorsports.com - Its always an Adventure (and woefully outdated)
    1.6 ITE/SPU/ST2 Turbo Miata (in pieces... err progress)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    The entrants, of course. Who else pays for this? Should any region subsidize the racing? I think not.

If "the entrants" feel strongly enough about reducing track time and increasing entry costs in order to, effectively, subsidize the racing schools, then so be it. My gut feeling is they'd say "no".

GA
    Any ideas on how to get it restructured? It seems there should be an easy and cost effective way to do this.....-there as always been that "gap" between track days and getting licensed. Most track day students I have instructed want to get there race license. But the licensing process is unclear to them as to what to do and how to make the leap. I have a feeling licensing was a much simpler process in the early days of SCCA..
    #72 ITE Scirocco
    NARRC ITE champion 2011

Quote Originally Posted by 1stgen View Post
    Any ideas on how to get it restructured? It seems there should be an easy and cost effective way to do this....
    When I started racing, there were no other options. There were no track days (hell, there were very few TRACKS), there were no HPDEs, there was no NASA, EMRA, COMSCC, no Porsche Club events other than hill limbs, hard parking and Zymol demonstrations

And we walked to and from the grid, uphill both ways, in bare feet.

And the licensing process was EXACTLY the same then as now. The very first time my feet touched a "hot" surface on a race track was fully clothed in a driver's suit, buckled into an IT car that I had just driven 7 hours to my first SCCA driver's school. Good, or bad?

There are discussions within the SCCA regarding barriers to entry; it is something the org is addressing, not ignoring. But large orgs turn slowly, most off the time for good reason.

I wish I had

Quote Originally Posted by 1stgen View Post
    Any ideas on how to get it restructured? It seems there should be an easy and cost effective way to do this.....-there as always been that "gap" between track days and getting licensed. Most track day students I have instructed want to get there race license. But the licensing process is unclear to them as to what to do and how to make the leap. I have a feeling licensing was a much simpler process in the early days of SCCA..
    Part one of the restructuring of licensing was the non-traditional "schools." IMO this is just a scheduling/convenience thing, not a cost thing.

Part two is a pretty specific proposal making it's way around the leadership (vague, huh?), about lowering the barriers to entry, from what I've heard of which sounds really good and reasonable. Either new racers will come out for it, or they aren't interested in racing/sprint racing. Wish I could make it to the Mini-Con

I heard a story of licensing from the early days of the SCCA, from iirc our region's oldest member. Yes, licensing was easier....although they needed a sponsor to join the club.

Will