Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lrp 2013

We don't need two drivers schools for 29 drivers!
    NER is the only region in the country that runs two schools.
    There are too many opportunities and ways available to get a racing license.
    The issue is NHMS or LRP?
    If you want to attend our school you will have to make the date regardless as to where.
    Being that they are only a few weeks apart, weather is not the issue, it comes down to what makes the most sense.
    Having been on the operational side of many of these schools, NHMS is far more user friendly and our chief instructor and many of our lead instructors are from the north.
    We can also accomadate open wheel cars there as well.
    Ok, argue we are not being user friendly to the new drivers well what do you tell all the folks who spend their time and money to make the schools possible?
    29 Drivers (and some may be from the north) or over 100 volunteers!

What I was offering was more LRP tracktime for our racers (which is very limited this year) but if you don't want it, fine by me!
    I get paid the same either way!
    Jerry
    NER South

Glenn, you're saying you don't want more tracktime at LRP?

MoHud is not running an event at LRP in 2013, scheduling and costs, are making it a no-go at this writing.
    Jerry
    NER South

Default Lrp

Does that mean no National at LRP? Where will we see Nationals in the Northeast?

Does that mean no National at LRP? Where will we see Nationals in the Northeast?
    Currently, a Major, National or Rational is scheduled at each track in NEDiv with the exception of LRP.

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by ner88 View Post
    Glenn, you're saying you don't want more tracktime at LRP?

oh ... I guess if you forced it on me ... I was just thinking that I would easily forgo a
    qual session if it meant we were somehow making it easier for more new drivers to join the ranks...

Glenn Lawton
    GSMmotorsports
    #14 ITS RX7
    NARRC ITS Champion 2012
    NERRC ITS Champion 2013 12 11 10 09 08
    NERRC STU Champion 2010

Why are you asking if you've already made up your mind?

Based on participation numbers and opinions provided here, LRP was the vote for the school.
    Last edited by gran racing; 11-01-2012 at 08:13 AM.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

I would rather see a school mixed in if it meant our entry fee was $100 bucks less each and we only lost 20 minutes of track time. (basically keeping the school would hopefully keep the same entry fee as last year). My thought is that if you get rid of those 20+ cars then our entry fee has to go way up to afford the rent. Unless I am missing something here. Sadly for me money talks if we compare a potential 25% increase in the entry fee without the school.

Stephen

The only problem with running the lime rock school only is it shuts out the open wheel guys.
    The options for lime rock are:
    Run what we did the last few years. Closed wheel school plus for the regional one qualifying on Friday and two races on Saturday.
    No school and for the regional one qualifying on Friday and two races on Saturday plus some test sessions at an additional fee.
    No school, two sessions on Friday and two races on Saturday at a slightly higher price than above.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Quote Originally Posted by StephenB View Post
    I would rather see a school mixed in if it meant our entry fee was $100 bucks less each and we only lost 20 minutes of track time. (basically keeping the school would hopefully keep the same entry fee as last year). My thought is that if you get rid of those 20+ cars then our entry fee has to go way up to afford the rent. Unless I am missing something here. Sadly for me money talks if we compare a potential 25% increase in the entry fee without the school.

Stephen
    I am guessing the difference would be about $25-40 per entry.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

thanks Dick, that isn't to bad then considering the extra track time. I was thinking $400 bucks each went a lot further but yor right with a 200 car entry in the regional that is only $50 each..

Stephen

The LRP school was a big bust last year. Really, a waste of everyone's time. Most students had already gotten their stuff out of the way by then. I personally will not take another day off of work in 2013 to instruct at a school with only 6 students.

Forget the "history" of the track and/or whether or not students have HPDE time there. Totally irrelevant to the purpose of the school, which is to get students used to the procedures, flags, and having someone pass them without a point-by.

Further, the June school date - regardless of location - makes no sense because our "racing season" is halfway gone by then. If someone really wants to race at LRP in 2013, their efforts are best spent going to either Summit or Jersey (or both) in March, then they can come to NHMS in April and get their Novice Permit signed off. Ready to go for 2013. If they miss the dates then they can plan for 2014 at Watkins Glen in the Fall.

I say "go" on NHMS school and change the LRP weekend to a double Regional Friday/Saturday.

GA

Im with Greg on this, not that I will race at Lime Rock. But the cost factor and the travel for the Instructer base is easier at NHMS.

The added feature is that the 20 guys that ran at LRP will be forced to attend at NHMS. That way the entry for the school will be up.

This may all be a mute point due to the ease of obtaining a lisence thru the Alternative path. 1 test day, an ontrack guy and the Chief Instructer. Pretty simple if you ask me. Lemons and Chumpcar count as track time as well.

1 Le-Chump race-24 hours of which you get approx 6 hours of track time
    1 Alternative School with close observation or school at NHMS.
    seems pretty doable if you ask me.

Jerry, first of all thanks for letting us voice our opinions.

Secondly, post a poll.

Finally, my opinion: I think we should make it as easy as possible for the students (whatever route that is). We need all the drivers we can get, right?

And in my experience, it always rains at LRP.
    Last edited by team-gpracing; 11-01-2012 at 12:27 PM.
    '77 Mazda RX-3
    NER SCCA E-Prod

This ones easy for me. We need one school and it should be a doulbe. NHMS would win. Since at this point in time we aren't having a doulbe I would have to pick NHMS. We can run it on a Friday and have Sat. and Sunday to race. With of course practice sesions mixed in if turn out is low.
    All of our timing and scoring,extingushers,coolers etc are at NHMS. They have to get down to LRP somehow. In running the school NHMS is so much easier with the way paddocks are set up, classroom with a/c and power everywhere ! Not to mention it has plenty of showers and nice ones ! There is no lake for cars to get stuck in (kills a whole sesion) !
    As far as LRP goes ? We need a race in the afternoon friday....maybe aproach the town for variance for an afternoon qualifier ?
    Regardless where the school is help is always needed.
    Last edited by Benauto; 11-01-2012 at 08:51 PM.

based on all the compelling arguments, I have changed my mind and think an early NHMS school is fine

Glenn Lawton
    GSMmotorsports
    #14 ITS RX7
    NARRC ITS Champion 2012
    NERRC ITS Champion 2013 12 11 10 09 08
    NERRC STU Champion 2010

Assuming a similar attendance to the past few years (because there ARE 2 schools before the NHMS date) would it be possible to do a closed wheel school and a restricted Regional single-day event on Friday?
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

It sounds a lot like you guys want to cater to yourselves, you all say the instructors, the equipment and the people have to travel to put the school on. As far as learning the flags, passing etc I still say lime rock is better. The flags are easy to spot, flag stations are easy to see, there are no solid tirewalls in the most dangerous brake zones...etc.
    again...from a students point of view lime rock is a nice, smooth track. NHMS is o e of the worst tracks in the US. Most NER and new scca hopefuls I'm sure would rather do their school at a place that isn't rough on the car. You have no time to fix anything if it breaks...so who fucking cares about garage space? If you break at NHMS you will most likely have a harder time getting back on track that same day. Lime rocks not much better but it's certainly not that tough on your car.
    PS most people from the northeast who plan to run the NARRC series are most likely NOT going to go to summit point. Who wants to tow 9 hours to do their first race school? That's just stupid
    Last edited by 1stgen; 11-02-2012 at 09:01 AM.
    #72 ITE Scirocco
    NARRC ITE champion 2011

Yeah, good points: we should make it really, really, really "easy" for students, and put them in the least-stressful, least-taxing, least-difficult environment so that they can pass. That way, when they do decide to go to bumpy, view-limited, difficult tracks they'll be all set and ready to race, and everyone around them will be very comfortable that they're prepared for the experience!

Hey, maybe we can accept Gran Prix Turismo racing experience toward the SCCA license? That way there's no risk!

GA, who takes time off work and away from family, spends his own money, and loses track time to instruct and/or work some other volunteer position at these events (Tech, stewards, etc)...all in the name of "catering to himself"......what a selfish bastard...! And who, BTW, drove his race car - not "towed" - 7 hours to attend each of his first SCCA schools because when he did it THAT WAS THE CLOSEST TRACK AND THE ONLY OPTIONS...what a stupid bastard...!

Ok 1stgen, you want a school at LRP, STEP UP.

You can be Chief instructer,chief steward,som,chief of Flagging,tech,grid,fire rescue,. You can get the trailer with all the eguipment that will need to be there in NHMS and bring it down to LRP and back to NHMS after the 1stgen School. Dont forget that you will need a date at Lime Rock. hope the checkbook is full. Lets not even talk about how to market the damn thing so you achieve enough interest to at least pay the bills.

Im not trying to bash you, just be realistic. We are not catering to ourselves, we are being realistic in our expectations and trying to capitalize on what our strengths are. Everything is in NH.

If you came to a comp board meeting you would know that. But since your in Albany and not a member of NER, dont tell us what to do. OR

STEP UP

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    we should make it really, really, really "easy" for students, and put them in the least-stressful, least-taxing, least-difficult environment so that they can pass.
    Not sure if that was aimed at my comment. If it was, I'll clarify my point. I don't think we should make it easy for students to pass, I think we should make it easy for them to attend. If more students will attend LRP, hold the school there. If the students will come no matter the location, hold it at NHMS.

I appreciate that Jerry has offered more time to us at LRP, but trading a couple more minutes track time for some fresh blood in the club is definitely something I'm willing to do.
    '77 Mazda RX-3
    NER SCCA E-Prod