Thread: Tire stretch question

Default Tire stretch question

Anyone here stretch a 225/45/13 hankook / hoosier onto a 6" rim? They recommend a rim that's 7-8.5"....

I know the 225/50/13 should fit but I'm hoping to try the other one since it's 2 lb's lighter at each corner and smaller overall diameter to change gearing a bit.

Currently running 205/55/14's on the swift.

If anyone in northeast OH / northwest PA has an old scrub in either 225/45/13 or 225/50/13 that I could come pick up to try (heck if anyone has one and you'll ship it I'll pay for that too) a lot cheaper than buying one new or a whole set that ends up not working!

Thanks!

rob
    Last edited by ribbie78; 10-31-2012 at 03:54 PM.

Installed on the overweight Scirocco II, I had 225/45/13 Hoosiers mounted on a 6" rim, so yes you can... ...that's a lot of tire for the diminutive Swift and might not fit within an unmodified fender.

Those tires fit on 6 inch rims.

Quote Originally Posted by joeg View Post
    Those tires fit on 6 inch rims.
    ya, I was going to ask if he was joking. 6.5? I wish.

I can assure you that both 225/45/13 or 225/50/13 hoosiers fit on 13x6. when you saw my car run in the rain in HP, it was running on 225/45/13 hooisers on 13x6.

And a couple of years ago I ran 225/50/13 because that was all they had in stock. I just threw those away a couple of weeks ago, I could have brought them and some used up 225/45/13 to nelson...
    Jim Hardesty
    ITC 1986 Honda Civic Diablo Rojo Verde
    Never argue your tab at the end of the night. Remember, you're hammered and they’re sober.

Thanks for the quick replies!! Hopefully it won't rub... if they don't work at least I know of some guys that can use them!

Add me to the been there done that crowd. Ran either the 50 series or 45 series depending on the gearing I wanted. I always ran 185/60's on the rear though. 225's wouldn't fit on back, and didn't need the extra grip back there anyway.
    Tim

Little update- finally got the wheels (3 months later lol) and measuring bead to bead I get 5" (outer mounting lips are 6"). Are 225's out of the question now?

I'm thinking with the low weight of the swift I don't need the extra tire width...and my main goal was lowering the OD of the wheel/tire package to help gearing a bit and not need 2nd gear in a few places, at the same time getting lighter weight and more width (running 205 on 14" wheels now).

Bill- I still need to meet up with you and try a used tire; but now that they seem to be 5" wide wheels instead of 6" not sure what to try.

thanks guys for any advice!