Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ITS Porsche 944 - competitive?

All fun poking aside, yes, the cars can be competitive in ITS. The KVS proved that when he was running is 944 years ago. It was well driven, well prepped, and quite fast. Is his old car out there anywhere?

he's running the same shell as his ITR 944S2 now. he had another for a while, and I've seen him paddock with a white 944, I think in ITS.

I was surprised to see the 83 through 88 were on the same line considering the difference in HP. If I recall the 83 had maybe 150 stock? I don't know if the 84 was much more than that. I would think you would need an 86 1/2+.......... or an "S".......

If you have a passion for Porsches and it's what you really want, go for it. If you're looking for a car that's a tool towards winning? Probably not the way to go........
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Quote Originally Posted by JLawton View Post
    I was surprised to see the 83 through 88 were on the same line considering the difference in HP. If I recall the 83 had maybe 150 stock? I don't know if the 84 was much more than that. I would think you would need an 86 1/2+.......... or an "S".......

If you have a passion for Porsches and it's what you really want, go for it. If you're looking for a car that's a tool towards winning? Probably not the way to go........
    So that's why they are on the same line I bet. Same car, just drop in the updated motor. Think ITS RX-7. 146hp from 86-88, 160hp from 89-91.

Kip had an S. The original question was about the garden-variety 944...I have never seen dyno sheets that would put it in my top choices.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    So that's why they are on the same line I bet. Same car, just drop in the updated motor. Think ITS RX-7. 146hp from 86-88, 160hp from 89-91.

Kip had an S. The original question was about the garden-variety 944...I have never seen dyno sheets that would put it in my top choices.
    The 83-87 cars had about 150HP stock, 88 had 160HP. A well tuned stock 88 motor pushes 140HP at the wheels and a well built (not exceptinal) one will get you to 160HP at the wheels. How you get beyond that depends on your pocket book.

But the 944 is not a muscle car - it has excellent handling and excellent brakes. Not only that, the brakes last a long time. I consider it the "Red Bull" of the ITS world if you will. Sure won't win a drag race but it can have the lap times to compete. Of course you need a Seb Vettel behind the wheel, and that's where my program falls apart.

Hopefully the ARRC will be the last race in the 300ZX for a while, I plan to get the 944 back on the track in the spring. The 300ZX is faster in a straight line, but I can wring over 2 seconds in lap time out of the 944 at RA......easily. Yet to break in to the 1:42's tho'
    timo

If y'all need some development help sorting those 944's out, you know where to find me... I know how to get that chassis moving fast...

I nearly built an S2 for ITR, before I decided to pull the trigger on the DSR. Figured it'd only take me maybe a year and I'd be back to where I was with the 924... and the DSR was only another $10k to build... LOL
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

Quote Originally Posted by timo944 View Post
    The 83-87 cars had about 150HP stock, 88 had 160HP. A well tuned stock 88 motor pushes 140HP at the wheels and a well built (not exceptinal) one will get you to 160HP at the wheels. How you get beyond that depends on your pocket book.
    1987-1988 944S is rated at 188hp at the crank. 2.5L four banger, that isn't anything to complain about right there.

Quote Originally Posted by jamrce1 View Post
    Glad you asked. We are giving strong consideration to building a 944 to run ITS but specifically the Florida endurance series. There is alot that can be done to these cars that is not being done. I have looked at several recently and could not see where any of these cars are at the limit. I must admit to being a stickler for preperation both initial and prerace. THINGS for these cars are dirt cheap compared to what I am used to for formula cars and sports racers. There is a fellow in West Palm Beach that is very familiar with these cars and also has a long history of prepping and racing BMW's that feels the can be very competitive and reliable.
    Touch bases with me when you get a chance and we will chat
    [email protected]

I thought the prep level on the 944s that have run down here in recent years wasn't very high, but I hadn't looked closely. Years ago we had some faster cars show up for the 12 hr races they used to hold at Homestead, but I hadn't seen any of those cars in years. If you guys do build the car for the FES, I look forward to seeing you out there.
    Chris Carey

Central Florida Region
    ITS/Vintage Datsun 240Z

Favorite tool to remove undercoating---- A curb!

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Earp View Post
    1987-1988 944S is rated at 188hp at the crank. 2.5L four banger, that isn't anything to complain about right there.
    Well if you base the math on stock HP the 944 is 16.1 lb./HP and the 944S is 15.2 lb./HP. I guess I'd go with the S if I had the choice!
    timo

Thanks all for the info and thoughts. Coming from a 79 RX-7, I'm sure it'll feel tremendously more powerful

I mainly race a CMP so brakes are a factor. I don't see anything that is putting me off about it at this point. I've always wanted a 944. I'm sure there are other cars that are faster but, this seems like a hoot. We shall see!

Need to get back on the track. Been too long.

Default Its 944

I have raced a 944 8v here in the PNW since 2000. It was an also ran at the original weight of 2715lb, but at the new weight of 2575 I am very competitive with Z cars, BMW 325 IS (E30) and some of the Gen 2 RX7 cars. All of these cars will own me on the straights, but the handling and braking capability of my car keeps me in the hunt. I and other 944 drivers here have several ITS track records here in the NW, so I really think it does ok despite the lower HP output when compared to other ITS cars. The worst is the VW Corrado... It just disappears down the straights and it takes most of 15 minutes for it to run out of brakes... My car is an 83 with an 88 engine and suspension under it. I use factory 968 m030 sway bars, good bushings, Koni dampers... Nothing exotic.

Greg Fordahl
    83 Porsche 944 ITS

Thanks for the input, Greg - glad to hear they're still doing well!
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

Good to hear the weight change worked like it should.

Is that Corrado the old Bildon Corrado? That car had some straight line skonk....
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Default Corrado

That would be the one. It will pull the headlights out of just about anything on the straights when he is running his 2.9l. A good 325is or RX 7 will pull me by 3 or 4 car lengths and he pulls them by the same. Greg F.