Thread: 2.3L clutch

Default 2.3L clutch

Ok to all of you out there running or used to run an ITB mustang, what was your choice of clutch withe the factory flywheel? just asking guys

we use center line
    Ron
    Atlanta
    ITB Mustang

i did a search for center line and really didnt find much. i did find CC, competition clutches. they have the 6 puck design. what has happened to mine is that it looks like it just burst/exploded/come apart off of the disc. there would have been plenty of clutch left as the disc material is still thick. you can see were the rivets were and there is plenty of meat, why would that have happen?

IF you were using OEM or OEM replacement then you most likely exceeded the limits of that unit. Their not built to hold up to racing conditions so why expect it to last?

Do a search for Mini Stock racing. Many racers use the Ford 2.3L engine for that type racing and most likely have found a clutch that will hold up to racing conditions.
    You should use a sprung clutch but with more or stiffer springs and stronger construction of the clutch plate itself.

My friends and I trashed a new Center Force HP street clutch disc autocrossing the car. We ripped the disc apart leaving only the sprung hub when we took it apart. Sent it back to Center Force and got a very strong disc back for free. Never had a problem with it after that.
    1988 ITA Scriocco 16V #80
    MCSCC member since 1988

Will do jim, thanks.