Thread: OK my first day is history

Default OK my first day is history

Went to the NASA event at Millington today. The high has finally worn off so I can type rationally now. That was a serious rush and I want more. MORE!

OK so I was dead last and the guy with the pickup truck was faster, but I got quite a bit faster as the day went on (each run was faster than the previous) and didn't have any time penalties. There are definitely places to improve and I think if I would have had a few more runs I could have knocked a second or two off the fastest time. Still getting used to the fwd and the not braking around corners, etc.

Mrs69 was asking about spectators, so that might potentially be possibly encouraging that perhaps I might have a cheering section one of these days.

Woot!
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

:cool:
    Attached Images Attached Images

cool :026:
    Steve Elicati
    ITA 1994 Mazda Miata
    Central Florida Region

Was this a HPDE event?

Glad to hear you got the car out this year!
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

Quote Originally Posted by tom91ita View Post
    Was this a HPDE event?

Glad to hear you got the car out this year!
    AutoX by the sound and look of it.
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

it was the NASA autocross event.

They have an HPDE coming up but I believe I will be out of town

Video :cool:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvKEijxQw3k[/ame]

Looked like some good fun! Congrats on catching the racing bug Andy

well I've had two more events since this one. I'm improving steadily. Second event I managed 12th of 14, and last weekend I was 10th of 15. I was working on getting closer to the cones and to keeping in the throttle longer approaching turns. I had better tires this time around, too. Learned a bit more about the limits of the car, a bit about air pressure (needs less all around and less in the rear than the front), and seemed a bit smoother.

Also have a decent set of wheels, and some dedicated tires on order.

But now I'm jonesing and I can't do it again until at least February

Thinking about driving school in the spring.

Oh crap, what have I gotten myself into

Been a while since I checked in. I've not been racing any IT events.

Had the car at the track one time last fall, and there will be more of that, but for now I'm concentrating on autocross. I went to the local SCCA school when they held it in August, paid attention to other drivers, did ride alongs, and managed to drastically improve my skills. I finished last in NXE in the first few events in 2013 but after that I was no lower than 3rd and had a few firsts. I finished second overall in points for the year, out of 15 drivers.

My main issue now is I tend to continue to improve my times during the no competition fun runs. Numerous events I posted times that would have put me first in NXE and top 5 overall. But, I'm working on that.

I've been making autocross specific changes to the car, geared toward the NASA rules, given that's where I've been doing most of my racing. It makes me uncompetitive in SCCA (throws me into FP) but that's why I'm considering making a few changes to my Saturn, which I can run in HS and be very competitive.

And so, that three season porch I was using as a shop? Well, the shop in now in the garage, but I've again taken over the porch as a warehouse for the Ebay parts business I started to pay for my racing hobby. I sold the iron table with the umbrella because it was in the way. Buahahahahah!!!!

video from September

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR71rJF0uNY[/ame]

and from July at MIR

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoZdpDreqEE[/ame]

Andy, those are cool open courses.

If you don't mind the feedback, you should get closer to those cones. You are adding radius and distance by being off the cones, especially considering the element you are in is always a setup for the subsequent element.

Will