Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 240SX clutch

Quote Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
    I've got an ACT heavy duty PP and 6-puck solid disc on the way. I considered going with the 4-puck like Earl used, but I still drive the car on the trailer and thought the 4-puck might make that more of a PITA.
    David
    Sorry I wasn't more specific earlier; the only time the clutch in my car gets to be a PITA is when I'm driving around slowly in 1st gear - as in the paddock. The on/off the gas you do when driving slowly tend to be a little jerky, and the car will actually start to buck if you aren't paying attention. My solution is to get it moving and then coast with the clutch in, only letting it out when I need to accelerate again. Driving it on the trailer is no problem at all; you can slip the clutch just like a stock unit, it isn't 'grabby' at all. I think you'll be fine with the 6-puck disc though; in fact I doubt you would be able to tell the difference from a stock clutch.
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

David, if you check the thickness of your old 6 puck, you will probably find it extremely close to the new one. That is, have your flywheel resurfaced, replace the pp, and keep the old 6 puck. Chuck
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq
    I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up!

The flywheel is good. It was perfectly smooth. I ran some fine sand paper over it just to remove any disc material, but there was no wear on it. The clutch disc is definitely worn. It's not down to the rivets, but some material has flaked off the edges. This way I know what's in there and when it was installed. Should have the car ready to go this weekend.

David
    ITA 240SX #17
    Atlanta Region

Car is ready. Moved it around in the driveway some yesterday and the clutch seems to work ok. A little grabbier than I remember. The stop for the clutch pedal had disintegrated long ago and the pedal was just going to the metal. I put in a bolt just incase the pedal was overextending things. It's only a couple mm, but you never know. Gonna load up tonight and head out to the track tomorrow. See folks at the track.
    ITA 240SX #17
    Atlanta Region

Quote Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
    Car is ready. Moved it around in the driveway some yesterday and the clutch seems to work ok. A little grabbier than I remember. The stop for the clutch pedal had disintegrated long ago and the pedal was just going to the metal. I put in a bolt just incase the pedal was overextending things. It's only a couple mm, but you never know. Gonna load up tonight and head out to the track tomorrow. See folks at the track.
    Good luck! I'll keep fingers crossed you took care of the problem. Wish I could be there; might still get a wild hair and jump in the car Fri. night and head down.
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

So how did the clutch do this weekend?
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

Clutch worked fine. Don't know what fixed the issue since I pretty much replaced everything, but never had a problem. I didn't notice any tranny fluid leaking either so hopefully that is fixed as well. I didn't get under the car, though, so still need to do a complete check. The clutch felt a little grabbier than I remember, but I hadn't driven the car in a year so who knows.

My driving sucked, but I managed a 47.2 in ProIT qualifying on Friday, which is pretty good for me. I couldn't get below a 49 in the race, though, and couldn't get below a 50 in the ARRC race on Sat. The temps were much hotter for both races so I don't know if the car was just down on power, the track was greasy, or I just lost whatever I had during qualy. I need to look at my data to see where those seconds went.

I met Mark Johnston and it was good to meet another 240 guy, even if his is currently wrecked. I did ask him how much HP he was making and he's making the exact same the motor in my car made. Still trying to figure out who out there is making 150+.

David
    ITA 240SX #17
    Atlanta Region

Good news re the clutch. And yeah, it has been my experience that our cars are particularly sensitive to temp changes.

I didn't know Mark wrecked his car - did he do that at NJ? I talked to him right before the last Summit Point race, and he was ok at that time. I also wish I had known he was going down to Atlanta, I was on the fence about driving down and might have gone if I could have hitched a ride with him. As it was I just got home too late Friday to think about driving all night.
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

I guess it was NJ where Mark wrecked. He said it was a pretty bad hit on the right front. Pushed the right front shock tower towards the firewall. He was talking about swapping everything over to the coupe he had built for drifting and then trying to fix the tub. He was down with the ITS 300ZX Alien Force racing guys (can't remember their names at the moment).

David
    ITA 240SX #17
    Atlanta Region

hey guys i think a company FRsport or enjuku racing is offering some carbon "white bunny" clutch combos for ka engines. i believe they are thru competition clutch

Mark wrecked at WGI in the laces at the Last Chance.
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"