Thread: 240SX clutch

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 240SX clutch

Hasn't been a new thread in forever so thought I'd start one. What makes the clutch fork return after it's pressed upon by the slave cylinder? Is it the fingers on the pressure plate or is there some sort of spring inside the transmission housing that pushes the fork back out? I've had a recurring problem where the clutch sticks down. Whatever is supposed to make the fork push back doesn't work. I'm going to pull the transmission, but want to know what I should be looking for. And if the suspected culprit is the pressure plate then I want to go ahead and order a new one.

Thanks.

David
    ITA 240SX #17
    Atlanta Region

PP usually pushes the clutch fork back...replace the slave cylinder and possibly the master before you pull the trans. Chuck
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq
    I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up!

What he ^ said, it's cheap and easier.
    Tristan Smith
    1991 Nissan ITR 300zx #56

Already replaced the master and slave cylinders, removed the clutch dampener, and replaced the stock rubber line with a braided one. When it sticks down it actually sticks disengaged. It doesn't happen all the time, but it was happening more frequently the last time I drove the car.

David
    ITA 240SX #17
    Atlanta Region

PP. I found a mouse nest in one once... With 3 or 4 mice. Or what was left of them.
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

David - it's just the PP that pushes the T/O bearing & fork back; if you've already replaced the master & slave cylinders, and the clutch line, then you probably need to look inside the bell housing. One other possibility, did you check the hard line that runs from the master to the flex line? It that got dinged at some point it may be causing the problem. Otherwise I would guess PP. What clutch do you have in there now?
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5