Thread: 240SX clutch

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Alrighty. I've got the transmission out. I see nothing that's immediately evident as the cause of my problem. The release bearing sleeve was fine and the pressure plate looks ok to me as well. The front cover appeared to be leaking so hopefully replacing it will stop the leak anyways. I've also put in a new release bearing/sleeve, clutch fork, and the little springs that hold it all together.

Now for the really fun news. The disc and PP are not even remotely stock. The disc is a 6-puck and unsprung. The PP is similar to stock, but the springs look a little beefier. There are no markings on either so I have no idea what's the manufacturer. I've attached a couple pictures. The first is comparing the stock parts to what I pulled off the car. The second is a closeup of the disc. I went back and checked my notes from when I bought the car from Bob and sure enough he said stock disc and PP. He even said stay away from Centerforce. So now I'm not sure what to do. I sure don't want to put the stock parts on and then have to pull everything apart again because it doesn't hold up. I've always heard good things about ACT and that seems to be what you guys are using. What came off the car was a 6-puck so I'd lean that way vs a 4-puck. The disc that came off was unsprung, but maybe that's not the way to go.

Any thoughts?

David

Edit: ACT has the heavy duty PP and a sprung and unspring 6-puck disc. I see how using the sprung would reduce vibrations, but the springs seem like they could be a failure point. I've had the unsprung in the car and the tranny doesn't seem any worse for wear, but maybe symptoms just haven't shown up yet. Earl, is your disc sprung or unsprung?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DavidM; 10-20-2012 at 08:19 PM.
    ITA 240SX #17
    Atlanta Region