Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plastic quarter window

as a side note to fellow super touring drivers I found these pre-made side windows

http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html...te-molded.html

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Earp View Post
    I've been contemplating just this very thing on the Mustang. I have some tiny rear quarters that would accommodate a NACA duct perfectly to feed my DR COOL.

"This ducting shall be located in the
    driver and/or passenger window area"

My car carried passengers, and, the rear window is located in the passenger area.

Now, I know what they meant with the rule, but I think I could pass muster with a NACA duct in the rear quarter.
    And as has been correctly stated, the 100 sq/in rule was put in place to limit the aero-engineers so other than the weight savings of said size glass, it shouldn't be an issue.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

I think you could put your NACA duct in the quarter window *area* if you so choose. It would be pretty ineffective with the quarter glass blocking it. I don't think the rule allows you to remove the quarter glass. The door windows are down/removed based on a different rule.

David
    ITA 240SX #17
    Atlanta Region

Quote Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
    I think you could put your NACA duct in the quarter window *area* if you so choose.
    David
    Okay, but, if I choose, why couldn't I use the 100 sq inch rule? If you agree I could put the NACA duct in the quarter window THEN it could be 100 sq inches and that might be larger than the window. Then the window would be gone, like this:

http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/Age...-30207/639416/

I think you could put your NACA duct in the quarter window *area* if you so choose. It would be pretty ineffective with the quarter glass blocking it. I don't think the rule allows you to remove the quarter glass. The door windows are down/removed based on a different rule.

David
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Earp View Post
    Okay, but, if I choose, why couldn't I use the 100 sq inch rule? If you agree I could put the NACA duct in the quarter window THEN it could be 100 sq inches and that might be larger than the window. Then the window would be gone, like this:

http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/Age...-30207/639416/

Your missing part of his quote in your post...

I agree with David that you can put it where ever you choose but you cannot remove something that isn't allowed to be removed. So, Ron if you put your window back in then your duct is perfectly legal. (It looks like from that picture that the window was removed which I do not see an allowance for in the IT ruleset.)

Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by StephenB View Post
    Your missing part of his quote in your post...

I agree with David that you can put it where ever you choose but you cannot remove something that isn't allowed to be removed. So, Ron if you put your window back in then your duct is perfectly legal. (It looks like from that picture that the window was removed which I do not see an allowance for in the IT ruleset.)

Stephen
    We are allowed to install brake ducts. But in that allowance, there isn't a section that says we can use a hose clamp. But of course, we all use hose clamps to install the ducts because it says we can duct the brakes for cooling.

Here, I can install a NACA duct and it can be 100 square inches in size. If the NACA duct I choose is 100 square inches it might be larger than the window and might require the window be cut away to install it, e.g., gone.

Or, if that interpretation isn't favored, what if I cut away all about 1/4" of the window and glue a 95 sq inch NACA duct in place. Would that be more satisfactory?
    Last edited by Ron Earp; 10-11-2012 at 08:34 AM.

nope that comparison doesn't work for me. you ADDED a hose clamp to make it work. If you REMOVED a headlight or something then that would be a comparable argument.

Stephen

I'm cutting that rear window out and installing a NACA duct.

Protest, bring it.

Quote Originally Posted by ron earp View Post
    i'm going to cheat.

Protest, bring it.
    ftfy.

Nice!

I think you could put your NACA duct in the quarter window *area* if you so choose.

David
    So this simple thought process has me turned around on my position. The rules says it may be added. Doesn't say that you can replace. The rule assumes you are 'adding' to an area where the glass is already removed.

Good debate.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    So this simple thought process has me turned around on my position. The rules says it may be added. Doesn't say that you can replace. The rule assumes you are 'adding' to an area where the glass is already removed.

Good debate.

+1

Glenn Lawton
    GSMmotorsports
    #14 ITS RX7
    NARRC ITS Champion 2012
    NERRC ITS Champion 2013 12 11 10 09 08
    NERRC STU Champion 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    ftfy.
    Greg makes me giggle.

And, wow, every time I see one of these threads, I realize how much more I need to learn...
    Matt Green

ITAC Member- 2012-??
    Tire Shaver at TreadZone- www.treadzone.com
    #96 Dodge Shelby Charger ITB- Mine, mine, all mine!
    I was around when they actually improved Improved Touring! (and now I'm trying not to mess it up!)

i agree with Ron. +1.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post

Good debate.
    What amazes me is that clearly the rule was written with the idea of people adding vents to the already open/missing front windows. And clearly designed to prevent you from closing off the window with a "vent".

Granted, the wording could be twisted to include the rear windows. And you could say this is an example of a poorly written rule that depends on intent rather than explicit wording.

Why go against the clear intent of the rule just because you can sort of argue the wording of the rule could be intepreted that way. If you do so, you will (or should) force a rewrite of the wording, which creates needless work for other people and you've now spent time and money doing something that was clearly inteneded to be illegal in the first place. And now you'll have to undo it. All the while bitching about these BS rules that cost you time and money you knew you shouldn't have spent in the first place.

Seems like it would be easier to just follow the rule as intended and save everyone a lot of time and effort. Although granted, it did provide some diversion for rules geeks here.
    Jim Hardesty
    ITC 1986 Honda Civic Diablo Rojo Verde
    Never argue your tab at the end of the night. Remember, you're hammered and they’re sober.

Default Venting...

The reason several people chose to install their driver cooling into the quarter window here is just simplicity and cost. On a 944 the window is very small, and a 944 has no vent wing window that can be replaced as is the case with a Miata. To fabricate a structure to hold a Naca duct or similar device would interfere too much with visibility and potential inbreed/egress if you should need to escape through the window opening on the 944 model. Greg F.

There are all KINDS of things we could do in the name of simplicity and cost that are still not allowed by the rules.

K

....and there are approved methods of getting the rules changed.
    Ed Funk
    NER ITA CRX, ITB Civic, ITC CRX (wanna buy a Honda?)
    Smart as a horse, hung like Einstein!

Default quarter windows

I did send a letter regarding this, but it has apparently been absorbed into the collective... It doesnt really matter for us regionally, as I dont think anyone will protest a racer with MS because of a single window. In his case he hauls around a 30lb ice chest, a 6lb fan and all of the ducting and hoses that keep his core temp under control. The other car is just a really big guy that struggles with the hot weather and needs cool air to cope. Greg F