Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pro IT

My driver and her video tell me that it was what I would consider a course blockage...the drivers had 2 choices, drive off track and over the rumbles, drivers left or drive through the debris field drivers right....still able to circulate but with a driver in a disabled car...and no one has checked on his well being in over 2 laps, WTF!!!

If the flagger at 1 was exchanged with the flagger at the "laces" would both calls been just the opposite?
    Ed Funk
    NER ITA CRX, ITB Civic, ITC CRX (wanna buy a Honda?)
    Smart as a horse, hung like Einstein!

Quote Originally Posted by preparedcivic View Post
    Pretty much a known element of running at the Glen. Track flaggers DO NOT leave their station and go over the wall to assist a driver. If you're a sitting duck, it sucks huge to have to wait for the CFR truck(s) to make their way around. Another of the many quirks at the place.

As for bringing up race management.....I'll just throw out that I watched two laps of staying green at NHMS in the ITR/ITS/ITB group September '11 after Tom Kelly went head-on into the wall at the exit of T2 on the oval. Local waving yellow, only right at the incident, which happened on the opening lap. The first half of the field came around for lap 2 to find Tom's VW perpendicular to the track right on the line, about 8' from the wall, and the front 3rd of the car as shrapnel on every bit of track surface. Cars scattering and spinning everywhere to avoid him. It took until the end of lap 2 to throw a double yellow, the pace car was late getting out and ended up in the middle of the field, and the lap after that things mercifully went BFA.

Unfortunately, sometimes things like this happen.
    As NER's Club racing Chairman, I can tell you a full investigation was done, everyone involved was interviewed and several steps were taken to prevent an incedent like this from happening again. But, we are only as good as the folks that give their time for free! I might add that they are as committed and dedicated as anyone could ask! We all learn from our mistakes.
    Jerry
    NER South

Stephen:

I’m so glad your dad is fine. I’m also glad you clarified what actually happened, as the additional information makes it apparent that it should indeed have been called an emergency.

I also agree with you that, as a general rule, no car should be left in the middle of the track for 2 laps. The FCY alone is not a response, rather it is part of the protocol that allows quick response by EVs to the incident. It is the safety of the driver of the car involved which requires immediate attention, rather than the safety of the other cars on the track.

WGI is not the only track with these crazy policies and under-trained but paid flaggers. I was at a vintage race at VIR (paid track flaggers, 1 per most stations, some stations with no flaggers) and a friend of mine rolled his open MG, coming to rest upside down, center track just before Oak Tree. FCY came out promptly and they proceeded to parade around for THREE laps (remember, this is a 3.5 mile track) while he remained upside down, leaking fuel, unable to get out of his car and nobody responding to him. Fortunately, no real damage to either car or driver, but I do not subscribe to the “better to be lucky than smart” adage. It was pretty horrifying.

I have no doubt that at any given race at any track, SCCA flaggers and officials will get you the best race management and response.
    Leigh McBride
    National F & C
    Mo-Hud Region

When I first saw Ray in the middle of the track, I wondered if we would get a red from it. That's how much of the track was unusable. In my opinion, there was insufficient racing room left around it. Even with everyone threading through under a local yellow, it was still way tight. A single wiggle in debris or oil, and Ray was just waiting to collect a car. As I said, we were straddling the curb to go left of him.
    The other issue was the car looked really damaged, enough so that I was concerned for the safety of the driver.
    To come around for a second lap still under a local was kind of a wtf moment. And yes, I have been in control and on corners before, both experiences that I highly recommend for everyone, not just drivers. I wish we could put all workers in the right front seat for a race. That would give them an entirely new perspective on things, same as a driver working a corner or control would.
    Stephanie Funk
    <Couple of NARRC and NERRC bragging things here>
    HP Honda CRX in progress, ITB Honda Civic, ITA Honda CRX, ITC Honda CRX
    "Green Booger Racing"

Driving by the incident I immediately radioed to the team and my team mate behind that FYC was to be expected shortly. I was also surprised it took so long.

The car was clearly immobile and would require significant on track activity to (re)move. Not to speak of the most important thing - taking care of the driver. That being so obvious at first sight, there was no reason to delay FYC. The yellow in T1 combined with yellow blinking light was clearly visible, but not enough given the positioning of the car right in the middle of the track.

Very sorry for the wreck and glad he is ok.
    Rob Thiele - BMW 328is ITR
    www.motorsportcollection.com

Ray and Stephen, I think garage number 6 is cursed.

Glad your dad is ok and enjoying Florida.
    '77 Mazda RX-3
    NER SCCA E-Prod

I must say that racing at WGI for the last eleven years I have seen this type of situation occur one too many times. Back in 2004 an incident occurred in the bus stop during a practice/qualifying session I believe it was at the Fun One….The crippled/destroyed car was sitting in the middle of the track with wreckers and safety crews on the scene. They kept the rest of the track green during the recovery of this vehicle. The entire field came to a crawl when approaching the incident Eric Hall and I continued to run at full race speed once passing the said incident. After the session we were called to the tower and they stripped our times because we were bump drafting on the front stretch. So at that time I was pissed and said is to the chief steward is this because we were bump drafting then?? He stated “no” you were endangering your fellow competitors. At this point I was PO’s beyond believe and I said how do you figure when approaching the bus stop I went through there in first gear which I assure you running a first gen RX7 with a 4.88 rear that is extremely slow once we cleared we came back up to speed. The CS maintained his position and I said then why didn’t you do a “black flag all”?? No response….I then said if you felt that the situation was that bad then how about a Red Flag? No response…I decided to protest his action which within minutes he came and said you were right we should have done a black flag however given the severity of the situation we weren’t thinking clear. Like Greg stated everyone deals with stressful events much differently however I feel with additional training incidents such as these can be mitigated.
    On the another note in 2005 during the three hour endure I was spun and hit several times….I was immobilized in the exact same area of the track that Ray was…..They went FCY IMMEDIATLEY. Just my thoughts but I believe the bottom line here is further incident response training would help. I am sorry that this happened to Ray I always enjoy running with him and hope to see him back on track next year.
    W J Weaver

Quote Originally Posted by Weaver7 View Post
    Just my thoughts but I believe the bottom line here is further incident response training would help.
    I agree. Who can we lean on to make this happen? Someone's going to get hurt.

I want to thank everyone for asking about our father. He is fine and not injured at all.

I do think that the Operating Steward took the feedback and will make changes if they are needed. I think that we as drivers and participants need to make sure that we communicate when things could be better so that everyone invloved can reflect on what happened and what could be improved upon. I think several Stewards in the NE want to see things continue to get better so that we have a good safety record where people want to come and race. I think this thread also made some of the people involved understand that it wasn't just my brother over-reacting because a family member was involved in an incident on track and that a real concern was being addressed. I think that will probably speak volumes to changes in decisions for the future.

Stephen

One thing to remember is that the reason we see Terry at every pro IT event is that he is the operating steward for our series. Back in 2007 when the northeast series kicked off the first thing that was decided was that we needed our own steward in the tower for our events. Terry has done a great job over the years with this. We have consistency.

As mentioned we in the series take feedback, questions, comments and observations to ensure we have the best and safest series. Feel free to contact us by email, all that information is on ProITSeries.com.

Also, get me your W9 if you have not done that yet. We have a lot of funds being donated to the worker fund, thanks to all those that do that.

Plus, we are discussing 2013 season, start gathering your ideas for that. Drop us a note.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Anthony