Stephen:

I’m so glad your dad is fine. I’m also glad you clarified what actually happened, as the additional information makes it apparent that it should indeed have been called an emergency.

I also agree with you that, as a general rule, no car should be left in the middle of the track for 2 laps. The FCY alone is not a response, rather it is part of the protocol that allows quick response by EVs to the incident. It is the safety of the driver of the car involved which requires immediate attention, rather than the safety of the other cars on the track.

WGI is not the only track with these crazy policies and under-trained but paid flaggers. I was at a vintage race at VIR (paid track flaggers, 1 per most stations, some stations with no flaggers) and a friend of mine rolled his open MG, coming to rest upside down, center track just before Oak Tree. FCY came out promptly and they proceeded to parade around for THREE laps (remember, this is a 3.5 mile track) while he remained upside down, leaking fuel, unable to get out of his car and nobody responding to him. Fortunately, no real damage to either car or driver, but I do not subscribe to the “better to be lucky than smart” adage. It was pretty horrifying.

I have no doubt that at any given race at any track, SCCA flaggers and officials will get you the best race management and response.