Thread: Sad news

Default Sad news

I'm surprised no one posted this yet, but I had gotten the word this morning that Dick Hummel passed away. The info I saw from DC Region said that he and his wife were killed in a car accident near their home.

Dick was an MR2 driver from DC Region, so was well know by many of the racers around here. He also worked pits and drove the pace car.

Dick was an incredibly nice guy, and one of the most polite on-track drivers I've ever met. At my first race as a novice, Dick allowed me to follow him around for a few laps just to get my comfort level up, even though I had been driving for many years prior (non wheel-to-wheel). He and I also worked pit-out a few times at the Summit 12 hour (along with AJ and some others) and he shared a great many stories with me from his experiences. Dick also gave me my first "lesson" at driving the pace car at the Labor Day event a few weeks back.

Though I cannot say that Dick and I were "close" friends, this news still had a real impact on me. He will be sorely missed by many I'm sure. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.
    Matt Green

ITAC Member- 2012-??
    Tire Shaver at TreadZone- www.treadzone.com
    #96 Dodge Shelby Charger ITB- Mine, mine, all mine!
    I was around when they actually improved Improved Touring! (and now I'm trying not to mess it up!)

These are horrible news!

RIP, and all the best to their friends and families in these hard times!
    Astrophysathingy / goaheadtakethewheel.com
    99 Civic SI #9 WDCR ITS/STL
    93 Corolla / 97 PDX Miata

Thanks for posting this Matt. I've been very upset about this since I heard about it last night, as many people are who knew them. I've known Dick & Cheryl for 15 years or more and my relationship with them went far beyond the No Class Paddock. Right now I can't really describe that friendship, other than to say the WDCR, the MARRS series, the PDX program, the pace car team, the No Class Paddock, and I have lost a wonderful couple and special friends. They truly loved each other and they will always be together in our hearts.
    Art Jaso
    Former 1989 Toyota MR2 #55 ITB
    DC Region SCCA
    DC Region Board of Directors
    Coordinator of Racers Helping Racers Fund
    http://www.racershelpingracers.com/
    PDX/TT Committee Member
    PDX Co-Chief of Grid
    PDX Chief Technical Inspector
    SCCA Pit Marshall
    SCCA Pace Car
    SCCA F & C