Thread: NEDiv ITC vs ITB fields

Default NEDiv ITC vs ITB fields

Hey everyone. I mostly lurk but sometimes post here. I've been IT-dreamin since probably 1992....!

Anyway, short story is that I now have an 89 ITC Civic hatch that's been log booked for the last 10 years. Depending on how things look over the winter, there is a chance that I may be able to finally go to comp school in the early Spring.

The question I guess is, what is the prognosis in the Division for ITC in terms of field counts? I wouldn't be able to run a series or anything, I'd probably just pick a few races that fit into my schedule for now.

With some conversion, for which I've got the parts on hand, the car can be run in ITB. Given those field counts in the Division, would that be a no-brainer to do?

On a related note, the reason it's even come up as a question for me is that I may have an inclination in the next couple/few years to go further distances to participate in some races that interest me, like enduros, ITfest, ARRC, etc. In a certain respect, I'm guessing that it would be cheaper to run in ITC in those types of races than it would be in ITB, or am I kidding myself in that?

Will

Quote Originally Posted by webhound View Post
    Hey everyone. I mostly lurk but sometimes post here. I've been IT-dreamin since probably 1992....!

Anyway, short story is that I now have an 89 ITC Civic hatch that's been log booked for the last 10 years. Depending on how things look over the winter, there is a chance that I may be able to finally go to comp school in the early Spring.

The question I guess is, what is the prognosis in the Division for ITC in terms of field counts? I wouldn't be able to run a series or anything, I'd probably just pick a few races that fit into my schedule for now.

With some conversion, for which I've got the parts on hand, the car can be run in ITB. Given those field counts in the Division, would that be a no-brainer to do?

On a related note, the reason it's even come up as a question for me is that I may have an inclination in the next couple/few years to go further distances to participate in some races that interest me, like enduros, ITfest, ARRC, etc. In a certain respect, I'm guessing that it would be cheaper to run in ITC in those types of races than it would be in ITB, or am I kidding myself in that?

Will
    Will,
    Welcome to IT in the North East!!

I've go to run to a meeting so I'm going to make this short.

- The ITB fields are some of the best these days. Great competition, great cars, some very good drivers and some really nice guys. You would learn a lot from them and have a blast. That's what I would do but I don't know how much work it is to convert your car.
    - ITC fields are very small
    - The cost to run it in ITB over ITC is very small. Negligible in the scope of all the money we piss away on racing

If you have any questions or need any help, post up!!

Good luck!!
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Default re your civic

i have a 87 ITB civic. these cars are light and easier on the brakes and tires. with the help of kessler it has been very reliable to run.
    Rick Benazic
    All Star Sheet Metal inc.

ITS Honda prelude #06

My recommendation would be to find a 5-speed for that Civic and run it in ITB.

Here in the DC region we now see two or so ITC cars at most on a race weekend vs. 10+ just five or six years ago. We see 20 or so ITB cars every weekend.
    Gregg Ginsberg
    '96 Civic EX -- MARRS ITA #72
    WDCR-SCCA Rookie of the Year 2003
    MARRS ITA/T3 Drivers rep

I would also convert to ITB. We have run both. ITC is pretty much wiped out in New England. ITB has some good fields and fun races. It's no fun trundling around by yourself.
    Now if you were more towards the WGI, MidO, VIR, etc areas, I would go with ITC. They have a much stronger showing there.
    Stephanie Funk
    <Couple of NARRC and NERRC bragging things here>
    HP Honda CRX in progress, ITB Honda Civic, ITA Honda CRX, ITC Honda CRX
    "Green Booger Racing"

If the car is in good running order as a ITC car, I would not change anything before the school. It is more important in the school to have a reliable car than one that needs to be wrenched on. You will not be able to do any work on the car when you are the student, so crew is key.

Once you get through the school, then you can convert. Unless you have full confidence in the conversion, I would wait.

But the ITB fields are great, and have gotten better recently. Hopefully people will continue to come into the class.
    Jason Benagh
    Steward - NER SCCA
    ITB 1995 VW Golf

Quote Originally Posted by itracer View Post
    If the car is in good running order as a ITC car, I would not change anything before the school. It is more important in the school to have a reliable car than one that needs to be wrenched on. You will not be able to do any work on the car when you are the student, so crew is key.

Once you get through the school, then you can convert. Unless you have full confidence in the conversion, I would wait.

But the ITB fields are great, and have gotten better recently. Hopefully people will continue to come into the class.
    Conversion for this car is simply swapping the transmission. Not a big deal (and pretty cheap too).
    Gregg Ginsberg
    '96 Civic EX -- MARRS ITA #72
    WDCR-SCCA Rookie of the Year 2003
    MARRS ITA/T3 Drivers rep

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    Conversion for this car is simply swapping the transmission. Not a big deal (and pretty cheap too).
    And swapping in the DX cam (ITB ) vs. the STD cam (ITC). In order to be competitive that is....
    Dan
    2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013 Great Lakes Division ITB Champion

The NARRC Runoffs at Lime Rock last weekend had 17 ITB cars, and the top 5 were 5 different makes of cars; VW, Honda, Volvo, BMW, Audi... It doesn't get much better than that In an IT class here in the Northeast!!!

Raymond
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

Thanks a lot everyone.

I've got the 5 speed to swap in already, so that's not a big deal at all. I'd just be looking for a field that was big enough to have people to race with, no matter what part of the field that ends up being.

I'm pretty local to LRP, that's sort of the home track, but have been traveling to NHMS and WGI as well his year for hpde, so I'd run those in IT too. MidO or VIR would be special deals if I had the time.
    Last edited by webhound; 09-29-2012 at 02:12 PM.

Welcome to ITB in the northeast! Some of the best Amateur Road Racing IMHO! Just too kinda support what everyone else said here are the Final NARRC points from this year. This is not TOTAL participation but it does reflect those that entered enough events to earn NARRC Points.

Round 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    Date 5/26 5/27 6/09 6/09 7/21 7/22 8/18 8/19 9/21
    Track NHMS NHMS LRP LRP WGI WGI NJMP NJMP *LRP*

IT-B 2100 BENAZIC, Enrik/Rick 271169 NY Honda Cicic Wow I had no idea that this championship was beind decided at the runoffs! Amazing close year of racing!!!
    IT-B 2000 WASHAY, Travis 160337 NEng VW Golf
    IT-B 1095 CURRAN, Paul M 217580 NEng Volvo 142E
    IT-B 1015 FUNK, Ed 123165 NEng Honda Civic
    IT-B 950 WENTWORTH, Nat 288966 NEng Volvo 142
    IT-B 695 PEDERSEN, Eric 220923 NEng BMW 318i
    IT-B 660 SUBTELNY, Greg 133730 Glen Volvo 142
    IT-B 600 VanDENBURGH, John 423168 MoHu Audi
    IT-B 535 HALL, Ryan 329606 NEng VW Rabbit GTI
    IT-B 450 KRETSCHMAR, Dean 442963 NEng VW Golf
    IT-B 375 REECE, Michael 117665 NY VW Golf
    IT-B 350 TINIS, Mario 335366 NY VW Golf
    IT-B 325 RAGUCKAS, David 236495 Phila BMW 2002
    IT-B 265 WAGNER, Mark 175953 NEng VW Golf GTI
    IT-B 250 BENAGH, Jason 198775 NEng VW Golf
    IT-B 150 CLICKMAN, Leonard 418177 MoHu NW Rabbit
    IT-B 145 LaMANNA, Jason 220810_4 FgrLks VW Golf
    IT-B 140 ALBINO, Robert 322889 NY BMW 318i
    IT-B 130 MULLEN, Matthew 338456 NEng VW Golf
    IT-B 125 ILIOHAN, Jay 170125 WNY Alfa Romeo Alfetta GT
    IT-B 10 DeBELL, Daniel 189023 Glen Volvo

IT-C 600 TAYLOR, Spencer 437405 SJr Honda
    IT-C 600 VILLANO, Garrett 419595 WNY Honda Civic
    Last edited by StephenB; 09-30-2012 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Fixed the Champion for ITB

I think there are some errors in these points. Pretty sure that Rick is the new Champ. Believe the New Jersey points were switched between Rick and Travis.
    Ed Funk
    NER ITA CRX, ITB Civic, ITC CRX (wanna buy a Honda?)
    Smart as a horse, hung like Einstein!

I updated the points. (Thanks marianne!).

Thanks for pointing out the points problem Ed. (Thanks Dave for the email pointing me to this!).

< I'm also the NARRC web master so I post the points to the site >
    Last edited by dtanthon; 09-30-2012 at 04:44 PM.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Anthony