Thread: October 2012 Prelim Minutes and TB

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I would NOT support an increase in weight in ITB, for any reason. many new cars in B (and A, and S) are approaching 3k+ lbs and the cars simply aren't strong enough in many cases to take the abuse of that weight in a racing scenario (thinking driveline and hubs here - IT rules don't, and shouldn't, allow updates to account for the added weight and grip). if we ran the weight of B up 1 lb/hp that would work out to roughly 125-135lbs average weight gain, and we have plenty of evidence already to show that gaining and loosing that much has taken cars from reliable to parts-eaters and back again. sure, some cars would be fine, but many aree econohatches and NOT built for the abuse - why risk it? B is a growing class, and doing pretty well after years of stagnation. I'd rather just get the rest of the classified cars processed correctly per the current definition.

I'm FINE with dropping the bottom of B into C, not fine with making B more accomodating of C in a combined class. I'm OK with releasing CRB/GCR coverage of ITC and leaving it alone as a static rule set as the likelihood of cars getting added to it (outside of dropping the bottom out of ITB ) is low. There IS great racing in C, and the best way to preserve that is to leave it alone (seal it). IF we do anythign with C in the near future, it will be fixing the process variables for it because what we have run often appears REALLY far off the mark. moving slower B cars down would require likewise. changes to C would most likely upset the C drivers more than sealing up the class. there are a lot of options and none come without down sides.

B-segment cars don't have to have competed in B-spec to be candidates for IT. there are PLENTY of fits, 2's, rios, etc... out there that would make good IT cars in the future regardless of B-Spec racing's exisitance or popularity.

the B spec concept as applied to larger / faster cars is close to what the continental series offers, really. pro racing admin and competition prep costs add significantly to the bottom line, but "on paper" the cars are pretty cheap.
    Last edited by Chip42; 09-14-2012 at 03:58 PM.