Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WGI this coming weekend

It was indeed that red Golf with the flattened nose that hit me in the door. I think he felt pretty bad about the situation but he had VERY little time to react and a bunch of cars right behind him. What I can't quite figure out - and don't recall now from seeing HIS in-car just once at the track - is how Pablo's nose got completely heaved up like that. It's NOT that bad in my video after the initial hit on the wall driver's right...

K

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    (glad to be only moderately hurt,
    Oh jeez, I kind of assumed you were unscathed, since nothing was said about it. And here I am, asking about the car...

Sorry.

May I ask what injuries there were?

And may we assume the HNR saved your life?
    Matt Green

ITAC Member- 2012-??
    Tire Shaver at TreadZone- www.treadzone.com
    #96 Dodge Shelby Charger ITB- Mine, mine, all mine!
    I was around when they actually improved Improved Touring! (and now I'm trying not to mess it up!)

My ribs got banged up, similar to past mishaps karting and skiing, and I didn't "Danica" so I managed to get a finger tangled up in the steering wheel and sprained. All things considered, a pretty acceptable outcome in that regard.

The initial impact nose-first into the wall wasn't a particularly hard lick, I don't think, but on the H&N question, I am *VERY* glad that I didn't need to worry about it coming out from under the belts like Greg Amy had happen with the Hans at the same track a couple years back. I was in three substantial crashes over the course of the incident.

...and I really dread to think what would have happened if I'd been in a lousy seat. I rented a Miata for the 13 hours a couple years ago that was AOK mechanically but had a Kirkey seat that didn't fit me worth a damn. If I'd been in the same kind of t-bone hit with that seat, I'd have been much worse off. Thank you, Recaro.

K

What H&NR were you wearing out of curosity?

Every time I look at those pictures it hurts. Been there and know how much it sucks.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    It was indeed that red Golf with the flattened nose that hit me in the door. I think he felt pretty bad about the situation but he had VERY little time to react and a bunch of cars right behind him. What I can't quite figure out - and don't recall now from seeing HIS in-car just once at the track - is how Pablo's nose got completely heaved up like that. It's NOT that bad in my video after the initial hit on the wall driver's right...

K
    Kirk,

Is the video from the red Golf (or any of the other cars directly behind you) posted anywhere?

I've got a Hybrid. I got a look at the vid from the car that hit me and asked if he'd please let me know if/when it was available (left my email) but I haven't seen it.

K

Red VW here,

I have the video your looking for but need to post atleast 4 times in order to post links... soo here it is anyways

https://vimeo(dot)com/49724216

Glad to hear your alright Kirk.

-Jason

I really appreciate you getting that up, Jason, but even with the . rather than "dot" it doesn't appear to be working. Maybe it hasn't finished converting or something...? You could send me the link at [email protected] if you want.

THANKS again,

K

It should be up in a little bit, its converting at the moment.

It's working now...

https://vimeo.com/49724216

Hurts less watching it from that angle. Thanks again, Jason. Glad you are AOK.

K

EDIT - Wow. I thought that last hit got me square in the door but it was really an offset on the front corner as much as anything.

EDIT EDIT - That's pretty cool, with the two views synched in separate panes.
    Last edited by Knestis; 09-18-2012 at 09:10 PM.

Holy crap! Glad you guys are okay!
    Ryan Hall

Just Boss It
    #03 Mini Cooper B-Spec
    Indian Summer Racing/Advanced Monograms
    SolidSkills.Net

Yep, just woke up with a little stiffness in the neck the next day from that lick in the wall. It could have been much worse than it was for us both.

I have to take a quick second to anyone reading this that had I not had a 'snug' seat, tightly strapped down belts and a HANS, I may not be able to be posting here and I saw Kirk feels the same way. When I hit the wall that was the actual seat moving sideways, not my body.

...and thanks, yeah I thought that kinda of setup would show the best representation of what happened with you two because it is hard to see in both videos alone what happened (mine being far away and yours just an in car)

Wow -- seeing both videos reminds me of why I don't like racing at WG. Once things go bad, they do not clear themselves and always come back onto the track. The armco near the edges of the track create a pinball effect when a car goes off.

I am glad both of you have only minor injuries and I hope you both come back to ITB with golfs.
    Jason Benagh
    Steward - NER SCCA
    ITB 1995 VW Golf

Wow, the double view thing is awesome.

And holy hell, I hope I don't have an occasion where someone can make a video like that.

Kirk- it really appears that the P2 car makes a decided move to the left while in contact with you, and I definitely don't see brake lights. I'm sure that's not a surprise to you, but I figured I'd mention it...
    Matt Green

ITAC Member- 2012-??
    Tire Shaver at TreadZone- www.treadzone.com
    #96 Dodge Shelby Charger ITB- Mine, mine, all mine!
    I was around when they actually improved Improved Touring! (and now I'm trying not to mess it up!)

Quote Originally Posted by RHallRacing View Post
    Holy crap! Glad you guys are okay!
    No kidding! That's a serious shunt. Glad everyone involved is ok.

Quote Originally Posted by rekcik15 View Post
    Yep, just woke up with a little stiffness in the neck the next day from that lick in the wall. It could have been much worse than it was for us both.

I have to take a quick second to anyone reading this that had I not had a 'snug' seat, tightly strapped down belts and a HANS, I may not be able to be posting here and I saw Kirk feels the same way. When I hit the wall that was the actual seat moving sideways, not my body.

...and thanks, yeah I thought that kinda of setup would show the best representation of what happened with you two because it is hard to see in both videos alone what happened (mine being far away and yours just an in car)
    Nice job on the video. You really get snapped to the right at the end, glad you're ok.

Any chance there's any video from the P3 car? I agree, the P2 car does appear to move left after he contacts Kirk.

And I agree w/ the comment about the armco creating a pinball effect. Saw that happen right in front of my several years ago. We were coming out of the boot, making the left, when the 2 cars in front of me got together. The one car hooked hard left, smacked the armco, and bounced right across the track, and hit the armco on the other side. The only reason I wasn't collected was because I aimed at where the car was, when I was 50' away, not where there was a hole. Just missed him. Fortunately, both drivers in that one were ok as well.

Default Itb wreck

Nice group of b cars. That wreck sucks! Sucks that it happened, glad you guys are ok.
    Rick Benazic
    All Star Sheet Metal inc.

ITS Honda prelude #06

Default Thanks for the Welcome

I'm the guy in the Red ITR Mazda RX8.

Just wanted to thank everyone for the warm welcome to your community at WGI.

Special thanks to Bill and Paul for your assistance. I sincerely appreciated your help.

Ben Phillips, you still owe me a beer!!

Kirk, sorry to see the result and hear about Pablo.

"Doc" Mark

Holly crap those are some hard hits... Glad everyone is ok.

Whomwas the P2 Driver?

Raymond
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com