Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IT National Tour Points

Default IT National Tour Points

With the IT Fest and a pretty good distribution of "elective" points events in the books, the ITNT points are starting to get interesting. We've updated the points and posted highlights at...

http://itnationaltour.com/

If you're an IT entrant and have run a major event this year, there's a pretty good chance you are in the points. Check it out.

K

Two minor corrections... Merritt's first name is mis-spelled... and Hayes Lewis (ITB ) is also driving a 924. Thanks!
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

And with the misspelling of Tim Selby in ITS, when you combine his two records he will be the new ITS leader.
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

Thanks for the corrections! I was actually wondering how best to resolve some of those (e.g., Selby's evident duplicate record). We are at the mercy of the results distributed by the regions so it's nice to have someone looking over our shoulders.

K

Was just looking at the 2012 schedule to see where all the races are, and noticed the MiDiv event listed as TBA. Our last race for the season will be Oct 13-14th at Mid America Motorplex.
    http://www.midiv.org/PDF/Flyers/Flier_BART%20Bash-1.pdf
    Ralf
    ITB Golf GT

First I've heard of this and it seems pretty confusing. Elective points vs. other points and not all points count??
    Interesting concept though.

The idea is to encourage folks to (a) attend the big nearby races with lots of competition, and (b) think about attending the two IT showcase events - the Fest and ARRC - with some additional recognition.

The problem with many points structures (e.g. SEDiv) is that you can win them by cherry picking events with weak fields, or by swamping the competition by simply doing a LOT of events. The ITNT points structure prevents that.

K

Quote Originally Posted by Ralf View Post
    Was just looking at the 2012 schedule to see where all the races are, and noticed the MiDiv event listed as TBA. Our last race for the season will be Oct 13-14th at Mid America Motorplex.
    http://www.midiv.org/PDF/Flyers/Flier_BART%20Bash-1.pdf
    I don't remember exactly what the situation there was (cancelled event, changed schedule?) but pick the steering committee member nearest you and see about getting an addition to the schedule. We very much wanted to have one really solid IT race (often a double regional) in the various geographies.

http://itnationaltour.com/index.php?...d=52&Itemid=59

K

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    I don't remember exactly what the situation there was (cancelled event, changed schedule?) but pick the steering committee member nearest you and see about getting an addition to the schedule.

K
    Haha, that's funny! We can't get racers to show up to the events that are scheduled.
    Ralf
    ITB Golf GT

To clarify something i missed, ITNT races are *not* separate events or groups added to weekends. They are existing races (e.g., the SARRC-MARRS at VIR) that historically attract good IT fields. The goal is to have one ITNT "Elective" points event (often a double, so drivers have two opportunities to score) in each geographic region. Drivers combine the points from their ONE best Elective race with their finishes from the ARRC and 'fest, for their season total.

K

The 2013 ITNT points have been updated to include the IT Fest results...

http://itnationaltour.com/

We have many super-close races - ties in many cases - within classes so it's shaping up to be a very competitive season. If you are looking to improve your points, make sure you enter popular races (you get points for beating people in addition to finishing in front) and start planning now for the ARRC.

K

9 points simply finishing races at ITfest! Broken cars and nervous noob drivers can get points it appeArz!

OK, I'm confused. Apparently, only the points from one race on double events counts, or your formulas are not adding across the columns. It appears that Ron Earp should have 39 total points, but only shown with 22. What happened to the 17 points from VIR2? Same thing across the board. Maybe I missed the explanation where only the highest point from a double event counts, and the other is thrown out.
    David Plott
    Atlanta Region #289721
    #54 1973 Datsun 240Z
    Mount Juliet, TN

IT Tour Segments: The three Segments that make up the IT National Tour are as follows:
    1. The I.T. SPEC*tacular (IT-Fest)
    2. The American Road Race of Champions Presented by Grassroots Motorsport (ARRC by GRM)
    3. A driver’s best finish at no more than one of several “Elective” races located throughout the country

Elective Race Procedures:
    If a driver participates in multiple Elective races, only their best finish (highest points total) will count for IT National Tour points
    If there are multiple races of the same length (a Double MARRS, for instance), each race will count as an Elective race and be scored separately
    At a co-sanctioned weekend (such as the SARRC/MARRS at VIR) the entire class will be scored as one regardless of series affiliation. i.e. – if you finish first in ITS for SARRC but fifth overall in ITS, you will get fifth place points.
    Jason Benagh
    Steward - NER SCCA
    ITB 1995 VW Golf

The "Tour" points total is a based on a driver's tally from the IT Fest, the ARRC, and their best "elective" race score from among the eligible events in the calendar. Points for each event are based on finishing position and the number of drivers beaten on-track.

The committee that created the points system last year didn't want it to be another contest decided based on who could afford to travel to the most events (or was lucky enough to be located where races are plentiful). (See also, "SEDiv Championship.") We also wanted to *not* reward cherry-picking races with low turnouts, therefore the bonus-for-beating-people scheme.

A PERFECT Tour total would be 66 points. Tom Martin got to 59 last year in ITB, which was pretty amazing.

K

EDIT - Whoops. Too slow. Jason beat me.

VTAC Yo! I am top 5 in ITA!!!!
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

You are, and as a guy who's thought for YEARS that your generation of Civic should be a genuine player in ITA, I think that's pretty cool.

K

Ah, thanks buddy. It's taken of course some $$$$... but whatev'...this is entry level SCCA.
    Last edited by mossaidis; 11-21-2013 at 06:09 PM.
    '92 Honda Civic Si

Kirk, What's your take on the 2014 ITNT session? Any anticipated impact based on there being a Divisional series now? Best, Mickey
    '92 Honda Civic Si

Frankly, we didn't have much evidence of enthusiasm for the series this year. One purpose - not secret but not overtly stated - was to encourage folks to commit to both the ITFest and ARRC. If you look at the points, you'll see that didn't really pan out. We didn't have a much conversation at all about the series among club members. I didn't personally see any evidence that anyone was actually pursuing points; more that the points just kind of happened for those who earned them incidentally being at qualifying events...

K