Thread: 88 CRX SI has a fuel Cut ?

Default 88 CRX SI has a fuel Cut ?

I just read that the 88 CRX SI has a fuel cut is this true?

David

yes, in that it shuts off the injectors to rev-limit the engine.

Crap that’s just great

David

Quote Originally Posted by Davegt74 View Post
    Crap that’s just great
    change/modify the ECU, and there's no issue. Zdyne and others for the PM6 (stock ecu) or if not running IT, change to a TD-41U distributor (92-95 civic DX) and OBD1 P06 computer with chip or S300 etc..

or go aftermarket with AEM, megasquirt, etc...

That’s not the problem it’s just a shame it took 2 years to find it out

Davegt27

I'm wondering if you and I are discussing the same issue... a rev limiter would have presented itself pretty obviously and not taken 2 years to decipher, not been much of a problem, really. if you have a HARD fuel cut off that STOPS your car or cuts power for long periods of time, then no, that's not a standard feature. could be caused by a main relay fault, something like a water temp sensor error or high water temps in the cylinder head sending the ECU into limp mode, etc...

If I remember right when a car is accelerating and it is slow to get up to speed you have to creep up to say 80 mph that’s air

If the car is accelerating and it hits a brick wall that is fuel

A rev limiter gives a more traditional cut since it’s an ignition cut like a MSD soft touch rev limiter

The previous owner told me the car had a Honda Data ECU but that was a Lie like most of the other stuff he said

The next step is to go Honda Data but I was told that’s impossible since you can’t change the dist and you need an OBD1 dist to go Honda data.

Davegt27

a rev limitter can be less soft, most OEMs (at least in that era) used fuel cut to rev limit. that's partly why MSD has a selling point in their offering.

it's "Hondata" and with a stock PM6 ECU I doubt you have anything of theirs. you seem to have this one figured out.

you do "need" a 4-wire O2 sensor and OBD1 style distributor to run a hondata S200 or S300. I'd recommend a plug and play ECU like MSPNP2 from DIYAutotune, or get someone to build you a DIYPNP, either of which you can use along with a OBD0 to OBD1 harness adapter but keeping the OBD0 distributor. I think AEM still offers their PnP solution to the CRX, too. and Zdyne makes a decent update for the PM6, too. higher end stuff like MS2, haltech, Motec, etc... are legal and can all be adapted to the OEM harness or a custom harness can be made.

it might also be possible to transplant the guts of an OBD1 distributor into an OBD0 housing. I never tried. the wiring and pickups are all there, the important differences are the shape of the case, connector, and the number of teeth on the wheel.