Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SCCA drops regional/national distinction (sort of)

Default SCCA drops regional/national distinction (sort of)

Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Interesting.... Probably a good move but I am not a fan of the name "Majors". I would rather see a series sponsor name followed by SCCA Championship Series or similar. The name doesn't matter though,

Should be interesting to see what happens to "National" events when they become just another SCCA event. My guess is some places such as NER/NHMS will have a decreased number of people traveling to events from afar when so many other events are available throughout the year to race at.

Raymond "I hope the Majors tour hits the pavement at every track in 2014!" Blethen

Raymond
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

All 1st gen RX7 'S will be brought into the paddock under cover of darkness for a Major/Rational, as to not spoil the image of higher level racing for the "MAJORS".....LOL.

Why doesn't Topeka just refer to Regional racers as "minor league" players since that is what they evidently think of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Wannarka
    A path to the National Championship Runoffs will exist through both the Majors and Regional programs.
    I think that is the most important sentence in the whole article. One could interpret that to mean that IT may actually get a shot at the Runoffs. If not, it will be interesting to see how they dance around it.

Congrats to the SCCA for finally taking the plunge in a major reorg of the Club Racing scene! Long overdue...

I won't claim that this is the perfect answer, I'm sure it'll need tweaking, but it's the first realistic, significant step towards cleaning up the mess.

I haven't yet heard from any National drivers who are against, if that tells you anything...
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

I hope that we do away with the restricted qualifications for runoffs. IMHO we should all be able to go and try to qualify. Just like any other race /race series, etc. Having just the rich guys allowed to go, sux.
    The National level prod guys( all 20 of them) are not overly happy with racing with us little guys. There seems to be quite an elitist mentality that the National license has granted. IMHO.
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Flyinglizard View Post
    I hope that we do away with the restricted qualifications for runoffs.
    "Restricted qualifications"? All you had to do was basically finish four races to "qualify"! Hell, I "qualified" for the Runoffs this year with a broken arm!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Miller View Post
    I think that is the most important sentence in the whole article. One could interpret that to mean that IT may actually get a shot at the Runoffs. If not, it will be interesting to see how they dance around it.
    The "dancing" already happened....there is a phrase in there about "eligible classes".
    Ed Funk
    NER ITA CRX, ITB Civic, ITC CRX (wanna buy a Honda?)
    Smart as a horse, hung like Einstein!

SSM, SM2, ITE, SPO or SPU are not "eligible classes" they are local classes
    Jerry
    NER South

Quote Originally Posted by BruceG View Post
    Why doesn't Topeka just refer to Regional racers as "minor league" players since that is what they evidently think of us.
    Please reveal that evidence to us.

According to Dick Patullo, IT will also not be invited as its a regional only class. Majors is just a new name for Nationals and is run by Topeka instead of the regions. Its a way of decreasing the # of national events to increase per race participation.
    Chris
    Last edited by zchris; 10-20-2012 at 08:53 PM.

Been in the Minors so long...don't think my bitchin' arm would make it the Majors anyway.
    Ed Funk
    NER ITA CRX, ITB Civic, ITC CRX (wanna buy a Honda?)
    Smart as a horse, hung like Einstein!

you could have been a contender Ed... you could have.
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

Quote Originally Posted by zchris View Post
    According to Dick Patullo, IT will also not be invited as its a regional only class. Majors is just a new name for Nationals and is run by Topeka instead of the regions. Its a way of decreasing the # of national events to increase per race participation.
    Chris
    Excellent. Then Topeka can pay my Region to hold one of their events or Topeka can provide all of the staffing, that is if the home track will deal with them at all.

YA, what he said.

I think that there are better people driving the bus now. Let's wait and see the map.
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

Quote Originally Posted by zchris View Post
    Majors is just a new name for Nationals and is run by Topeka instead of the regions. Its a way of decreasing the # of national events to increase per race participation.
    Chris
    This is the best description of it I've seen so far.

I just wonder if some regions will be able to get enough support for regional only races. If it's at RA or Mid Ohio, no problem. But races at the "less desirable" tracks could be in trouble with 50 or less entrants unless tracks are willing to re-negotiate their prices.

It sounds like a good start, though.

I hope my race chair read the LOI for the March event wrong. He called me yesterday and said the way he reads it the sanction fee will be $25 per car instead of a base fee for the first 100 cars and $15 excess for any car over that. That would mean for a 200 car national the sanction fee would go from $300 to $5000. OR $10000 for the double. If true entry fees are going up again due to no fault of the hosting region.
    Jerry

Lone Star Regional Executive
    Lone Star Tech Chief.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Miller View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Wannarka
    A path to the National Championship Runoffs will exist through both the Majors and Regional programs.
    That's what I took from it too. I don't see why IT doesn't run nationals. It's some of the best racing in the country.

I'm interested in what happens with licensing. National Licenses are different requirements (albeit not too burdensome) than "Regional" licenses.

Will they now just issue licenses and what will be the number of finishes, etc. required to renew.