Thread: Trailer Suspension: Leaf Springs or Torsion

Default Trailer Suspension: Leaf Springs or Torsion

Hi All:

Trailer shopping and one quandry I have is the suspension whether leaf spring or torsion. Is the torsion better to tow with and does it hold up as well as leaf springs?

Trying to buy pre-owned and leaf spring trailers are more abundant and less costly to purchase. Been sharing a torsion trailer but need my own.

Thanks.

Feff

Once you go Torsion, you will never go back. :026:

One thing to keep in mind: Leaf springs have compensators with bushings that wear out. If you are one to check them, you might be replacing them periodically. You might detect play in them when examining the trailer...only with the side (both wheels suspended) of the ground. No chance of that play with torsion suspensions.

I have used a compensator style with car trailers for years. Now I have torsion on a camping trailer. No other complaint with either.

Bill
    Bill Frieder
    MGP Racing
    Buffalo, New York

Torsion Towing since 1981
    Last edited by tdw6974; 08-30-2012 at 09:05 PM. Reason: speeling
    Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1986 RX-7 ITS #63. "Diesel Haulin' Rotary" 2005 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab The Hemi has retired "Long Live the Hemi" Bill Weaver Driver- 2004 NYSRRC John Chave Award. 2006 & 2013 ITS NYSRRC Champion!. Truck Driver Named Glen Region Worker of the Year 2008.Located 45 miles southeast of Watkins Glen in Sayre PA.

Torsion. Problem free, smoother ride, no worries about the suspension rotting away. There really aren't too many companies that offer leaf spring suspension anymore. In my experience when I was selling trailers, we only saw that on the low end or single axle stuff.
    What brands are you considering?
    Stephanie Funk
    <Couple of NARRC and NERRC bragging things here>
    HP Honda CRX in progress, ITB Honda Civic, ITA Honda CRX, ITC Honda CRX
    "Green Booger Racing"

Quote Originally Posted by Sandro View Post
    Once you go Torsion, you will never go back. :026:
    Picked up a 20 foot Haulmark with torsion last weekend. Thanks for the insights all.

Feff