Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SCCA ideas

Default SCCA ideas

http://prodracing.com/prodcar/viewto...122192#p122192
    This is a link to the prod board,discussing SCCA ideas.
    Getting rid of the National/Regional license. All good by me.
    MM
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

Check it out. Voice your opinion. We can all help.
    '77 Mazda RX-3
    NER SCCA E-Prod

Quote Originally Posted by Flyinglizard View Post
    http://prodracing.com/prodcar/viewto...122192#p122192
    This is a link to the prod board,discussing SCCA ideas.
    Getting rid of the National/Regional license. All good by me.
    MM
    Read your last post there, and you summed it up well. As to the medical, you guys may not be aware, but light aviation suffers the same problems as the SCCA. Its just too much hassle. You know how they solved it? Yep, Show your drivers license, do minimal training and fly. Surely that should be the model. I find it really hard to believe the FAA allows you to fly on a drivers license, but somehow its "impossible" in the SCCA. They limit the performance of the vehicle for that license and operating parameters (day/vfr), but by you can get in the air much easier now, not to mention ultralights which require practically nothing. SCCA needs to do the same. Let people do the lowest level road racing like lemons (ultralights?) with practically nothing, and a bit more for IT (Sport light equiv) and move up from there. Want to go faster? Jump through more hoops. You need to allow the "gateway drug" to get people in the door, and those that really like it will take the next steps as their racing career progresses, and those that want to stay at the bottom or can't afford to move up? They still have a place to run. I find it interesting that regardless of domain, how few people will look outside what they already know for solutions that have already been developed... This is a people, perception and marketing issue, not a technical one.

Good points re: the medical there... especially since the current system ain't doing the job (we have plenty of drivers dropping dead on-track now, it seems, despite passing their medical)...
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

FWIW I designed, built and learned how to fly my own UL airplane. No license of any kind. http://pou.guide.free.fr/connaitre/g...ike_ogren.html

Slightly off topic but, yes, no med required.
    What really is the difference of the cost of insurance over the driver license medical??
    Maybe we need to look harder at the insurance coverage and see what really is needed today.
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

Lemons doesn't require a medical. Why can't SCCA cite those race orgs when developing standards.
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

Built on the pattern of the Mignet Flying Flee.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mignet_Pou-du-Ciel

Just be carefull on the approach, see the accident section...
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

My plane is a lot closer to Runtan's craft than it is to Flea. Mostly the pitch moment arm is vastly greater for "Gretchen" than it is on the Flea.

RE; meds,,
    Ihav e been told that the insurance is way different. I really dont know .

Quote Originally Posted by tom91ita View Post
    Lemons doesn't require a medical. Why can't SCCA cite those race orgs when developing standards.
    I think there are slightly higher standards to be met when your organization provides a $1M accidental death insurance policy for it's members.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

What's wrong with getting a medical? I asked my doctor why in the world they aren't doing this normally.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    What's wrong with getting a medical? I asked my doctor why in the world they aren't doing this normally.
    I agree, the medical is a good idea and in reality is not much of a burden. But the perception is that the SCCA process is overly complicated.

So far we have to assume that SCCA has decided that the requirements like medical test, school, etc add value. Andy makes a good point though, it seems easy to just throw out the medical requirement because it maybe doesnt' really make things safer. But does that raise the cost of our accidently death insurance? Changes are not without consequences and costs.
    Jim Hardesty
    ITC 1986 Honda Civic Diablo Rojo Verde
    Never argue your tab at the end of the night. Remember, you're hammered and they’re sober.

so in short what the club (and we as members of it) needs to do is advertise the advantages of the systems we have, and help clarify and streemline the documentation for the process which is not actually difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip42 View Post
    So in short what the club (and we as members of it) need to do is advertise the advantages of the systems we have,change the ones that suck, and help clarify and streamline the documentation for the processes which are okay.
    Fixed that for you.

If we are member driven; How about we get real numbers concerning the ins/ medical relationship? How do we go about getting those numbers,John?
    can we vote??
    What about changing the death clause/ins, to "optional"?? No medical= no death clause coverage.
    You want the coverage? Bring a valid med form. You want to race? bring a valid DL.
    This could be for under 2.6litre closed cars also maybe . Anything to get more people hooked, IMHO. Without undue exposure.
    Last edited by Flyinglizard; 08-27-2012 at 03:40 PM.

what about the guys in white, crew, other workers? that insurance covers everyone. the club has it to protect everyone, and it requires a certain level of adherance that might seem hard for you to swallow, and might make it seem less attractive compared to chump etc... but when a worker gets a wheel to the head and is killed or severely injured, it's helpful. I agree that the unnatractiveness is an issue, but the coverage IS VERY GOOD. sell it that way rather than just bitching that we aren't chump car.

I honestly don't know what NASA has, but I'd be interested in finding out how they and chump / lemons / PCA / BMWCCA / etc... do it.

things need fixing but lets not take away what IS GREAT about the club just so that we seem more attractive compared to something that isn't trying to accomplish the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    I think there are slightly higher standards to be met when your organization provides a $1M accidental death insurance policy for it's members.
    If you have a heart attack while driving, chances are the $1m accidental death policy won't pay a penny. Death by heart attack isn't an accidental death -- just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by jjjanos View Post
    If you have a heart attack while driving, chances are the $1m accidental death policy won't pay a penny. Death by heart attack isn't an accidental death -- just saying.
    But to Chip's point, you have a heart attack and run over a worker, that would pay off wouldn't it? The point is not to make YOU not die, it is to protect everyone else.
    Jim Hardesty
    ITC 1986 Honda Civic Diablo Rojo Verde
    Never argue your tab at the end of the night. Remember, you're hammered and they’re sober.

I completely forgot about the insurance. Valid points. Thanks.

Part of what I wanted to convey though is that SCCA seems to combine of the more restrictive aspects of various club/benchmarks. Industry standards are not consistent, IMO.

If we wanted the physicals to be "better" then perhaps they should include stress tests if over 55, etc.
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

Quote Originally Posted by jumbojimbo View Post
    But to Chip's point, you have a heart attack and run over a worker, that would pay off wouldn't it? The point is not to make YOU not die, it is to protect everyone else.
    1. The $1mn is for medical expenses.
    2. It is secondary coverage. I.e. It covers what your primary insurance does not cover.

I.e. you run over the corner worker and he's under 65 and doesn't have insurance coverage, they pay. If he's got insurance, it'll pay his out of pocket expenses and, when/if his primary coverage is exhausted, the policy kicks in.

The coverage probably is pretty damn cheap since it is secondary. Plus, most of our members will get covered under Medicare Part A if they get hospitalized.

The death benefit is $25K.

The TT and PDX drivers have no med requirement. Same day same workers. same track.