Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SEDiv Driver Review Panel -- Chuck Hines (ITS and IT7)

Quote Originally Posted by zchris View Post
    Well if he weasels out of it, there is always Frontier Justice. I had a guy take the back off my car once for no particular reason. I spent the next 2 races for the first couple of laps on his bumper turning him sideways. He never did it again. I had protested him. I was told it was a racing incident. He never protested me or bothered me again.
    Chris
    I did want to add that regardless of how it came out, I was very impressed by the committee and their hard work. They reviewed a lengthy letter from me, video, 6 driver's statement and scheduled I believe 9 or 10 phone interviews of various folks. AND THEN they went out and looked at other information they collected on their own.

I would have respected their decision either way, given the amount of work they put into it. Much applause here for the effort.

Chuck is a good guy and a friend and if his suspension is upheld I'll miss racing with him, and he is entitled to his appeal. At the same time, I feel strongly that the SCCA needed to do something with him to get him to see he was taking too many chances with other people's cars, and I am glad they did that.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Jeff, as I said overt here in the sandbox, I think you've walked a tightrope on this one, and I hope your community appreciates the cost you have had to shoulder. Good job, it seems like this was handled well...finally....by the parties involved.

Hope that this sends a message so that it isn't allowed to get as out of hand in the future.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Good that something got done. Bad that it took about two years??
    Maybe we should follow protocol better, and expedite this stuff.

This is really rare tho, thank goodness.
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    I did want to add that regardless of how it came out, I was very impressed by the committee and their hard work. They reviewed a lengthy letter from me, video, 6 driver's statement and scheduled I believe 9 or 10 phone interviews of various folks. AND THEN they went out and looked at other information they collected on their own.

I would have respected their decision either way, given the amount of work they put into it. Much applause here for the effort.

Chuck is a good guy and a friend and if his suspension is upheld I'll miss racing with him, and he is entitled to his appeal. At the same time, I feel strongly that the SCCA needed to do something with him to get him to see he was taking too many chances with other people's cars, and I am glad they did that.
    Did you ever approach your friend and voice your concerns about his driving ability ? Just wondering and what is your relationship with your friend today ?

I'm glad to see this take place and am very interested to see what happens when this reaches the court of appeals.

I've just posted something here that the NEDiv stewards are implementing that will either (1) lessen the need for a competitor-initiated driver review or (2) simply clean things up due to much better, consolidated record keeping of race incidents within the division.

https://improvedtouring.com...d.php?p=345175

Perhaps this is something that SEDiv should look at implementing if they haven't already.
    Last edited by Gregg; 02-28-2013 at 01:29 AM. Reason: Links fixed...thanks, John
    Gregg Ginsberg
    '96 Civic EX -- MARRS ITA #72
    WDCR-SCCA Rookie of the Year 2003
    MARRS ITA/T3 Drivers rep

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    I'm glad to see this take place and am very interested to see what happens when this reaches the court of appeals.

I've just posted something here that the NEDiv stewards are implementing that will either (1) lessen the need for a competitor-initiated driver review or (2) simply clean things up due to much better, consolidated record keeping of race incidents within the division.

http://www.nediv.com/?option=com_etr...ers&category=6

Perhaps this is something that SEDiv should look at implementing if they haven't already.
    Those links seem to point to a list of NEDiv officials.

You can find a write-up on the NEDiv Redbook here: http://driverinfo.johnnesbitt.com/

It's at the bottom left - Letter #3.

Quote Originally Posted by slopok View Post
    Did you ever approach your friend and voice your concerns about his driving ability ? Just wondering and what is your relationship with your friend today ?
    At the risk of speaking out of class so to speak, I have read that Jeff and other did indeed confront Chuck, and they have been rebuffed, numerous times. Jeff has been very upfront and has sent him links to the threads, and he has responded on a thread over on the brownboard. It would appear that he disagrees that there is a problem. Jeff has stated a number of times that he likes and enjoys being around Chuck, but I'm not aware of the current status of the relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post

https://improvedtouring.com...d.php?p=345175

Greg, I read over on the brownboard that the appeal was flatly denied. The board was rather complimentary in regards to the panels work.
    (I agree with you about the whole redbook concept and wouldn't mind it being a searchable national database.)
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com