Thread: 13" Wheels

Default 13" Wheels

Just made the switch to 13" wheels on our Mk2 ITB Jetta and, for the first time, the car is sitting at the minimum 5" ride height. We are shocked at how different the car looks. It has a much lower profile . . . looks like a rocket sled . I have read about the geometry of the control arms getting messed-up when the car is too low. Currently, the control arms are at a slight upward angle as they run from the frame to the spindles (i.e, maybe .5 inches higher at the spindle end). Is this OK?

We plan on doing the corner weights then heading to the track. Is there anything else we need to consider?

As always, thanks!
    Dave Ellenwood
    ITB Jetta
    SCCA Ohio Valley Region
    [email protected]

The rule of thumb is to keep them level, but mine angle up a bit. You can get away with that with a bunch of spring, but I do not think I run at 5" ride height.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

The lap times are better with the car low.
    It handles a little pushy low, but we add rear pressure to get it loose again.
    My lowestMk 2( on 15s) is about 1in the wrong way.(pointed up)
    With 13in you can raise it about 1in and stay real nice and low,IMHO.
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

Really interesting comments here and on the Watercooled FB page. I have received lots of feedback and suggestions and the common thread is that everyone disagrees. The feedback has varied radically about every aspect of suspension set-up. I mean RADICALLY!

I guess we're at the point where we settle in and start testing . . .

I do think one difference is that I'm setting-up a Jetta verses a Golf. I think the extra weight hanging behind the rear tires makes it a bit more loose. We'll see.

Thanks for the advice!
    Dave Ellenwood
    ITB Jetta
    SCCA Ohio Valley Region
    [email protected]

Test it up and down. Time the laps, not by feel.!! As you get under flat, the car will push and loose some camber. The correction is to add more camber, and increase the rear pressure/toe out/ spring rate, to get back the balance.
    I just add air pressure and keep the rear toe out at 3 -5mm. Come back and let us know how your testing went. TIA, MM
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/