Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watkins Glen Sept 15th-16th: the Fun One

Default Watkins Glen Sept 15th-16th: the Fun One

Hello! A few of us are looking to head up and check out Watkins Glen the weekend of the 15th-16th for the double regional there put on by FLR.

We are trying to figure out logistics and format for the weekend but I have yet to find any sign up information for the event (motorsport reg or NE div SCCA website or FLR website). Is there another system being used?

Also wanted to find out if there might be a evening test & tune at Watkins like they do at Mid Ohio? Towing 400+ miles we would really like the chance to drive Watkins as much as we can.

Any information would be awesome!

Thank you!

Nor is it on DLB.

according the watkins glen website, there is a test day, but I have never seen them do an evening test there. And HOD and COM are there W-T and M-T respectively so come drive the whole week!!!!

barring someone in the know posting I would email someone at FLR. They sure are not doing themselves favors by not having the event listed SOMEWHERE...
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

according the watkins glen website, there is a test day...
    Ok. I couldn't find a schedule with the days events broken down on the WGI website. I should be able to make the test day on Friday. I will be in Cleveland Thursday night and driving to Watkins from there.

barring someone in the know posting I would email someone at FLR. They sure are not doing themselves favors by not having the event listed SOMEWHERE...
    If I don't hear from someone on here in the next week I will shoot an email to the registrar for FLR.

It is kind of buried... Look for track rentals (upper right?)and then click on track rental schedule. That will download a PDF schedule of the whole year.
    Chris Rallo "the kid"

I can't give details as to exact run groups, but historically, the event is the long course (probably somewhere around a 7 lap race or so) on Saturday and the short course (no idea on laps) on Sunday. I'm also looking forward to seeing some supps, as I might make this my first race since getting signed off.
    Kyle C
    #69 ITA Honda CRX
    Glen Region Timing & Scoring Chief

Quote Originally Posted by darthmonkeyIT View Post
    Ok. I couldn't find a schedule with the days events broken down on the WGI website. I should be able to make the test day on Friday. I will be in Cleveland Thursday night and driving to Watkins from there.

If I don't hear from someone on here in the next week I will shoot an email to the registrar for FLR.
    Usual procedure for Test day is Gates open at 6:00 am - 10 AM Must go to registration to Pay! Now the nice part is even if you are not running test day you can regsiter for the event and have access to the track to set for weekend. Then do the tourist deal for Friday if you like!
    Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1986 RX-7 ITS #63. "Diesel Haulin' Rotary" 2005 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab The Hemi has retired "Long Live the Hemi" Bill Weaver Driver- 2004 NYSRRC John Chave Award. 2006 & 2013 ITS NYSRRC Champion!. Truck Driver Named Glen Region Worker of the Year 2008.Located 45 miles southeast of Watkins Glen in Sayre PA.

You will have a blast! I recommend the test day. The track is GREAT to drive, but the practice on Friday makes for a WAY better weekend. Dan H. and I went there in the spring and both had a blast! He won ITB on Sat. and was 2nd on Sun. I was 7th in ITA both days and I drove like a 12 year old! (Grand-Am supprt race was 2 weeks later and I wanted to do that event!) I levt several seconds on the table... GREAT track - can't wait to go back and give it another go! Long course on Sat. and short course on Sun. - I like them both! The bad would be that anything that happens on track leads to a FCY. No 'hot' pulls, so one issue and your session can be over.

We met some real nice folks while we were there! Also met several not-so-nice folks - More than you'd expect at a race weekend... The workers were all GREAT! Track is AWESOME! And whatever you do - Talk to people to find the 'easy' route to the track. Mapquest and GPS took us up and down 6-8% grades for 30 miles!! That sucked! The trip home was awesome once someone told us the 'easy' route!! We drove over Thursday and stayed the night at the track next to the registration building. There were 30? folks who did the same. So the 6am registration and test day sign-up were easy!
    Matt Downing
    1995 Honda Civic EX Coupe - ITA
    Ohio Valley Region, SCCA

Entry info now posted on the Finger Lakes Region website:

http://www.flr-scca.com/race/2012/funone/entryinfo.html

Registration now up on motorsportreg.com

The Friday test day is operated by the track, not the SCCA region, so there is no sign-up for it in advance for the test day. Show up early Friday morning, go thru SCCA Registration (the track asks that racers go thru SCCA Registration before they'll issue credentials for the test day...as the test day is only for people racing that weekend). SCCA Registration will close ~10amFriday morning, then re-open ~6pm Friday night (registrars have jobs, too...).

Standard Fun One format - Long Course Saturday, Short Course Sunday, Pig Roast on Saturday night.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRW View Post
    Entry info now posted on the Finger Lakes Region website:

http://www.flr-scca.com/race/2012/funone/entryinfo.html

Registration now up on motorsportreg.com

The Friday test day is operated by the track, not the SCCA region, so there is no sign-up for it in advance for the test day. Show up early Friday morning, go thru SCCA Registration (the track asks that racers go thru SCCA Registration before they'll issue credentials for the test day...as the test day is only for people racing that weekend). SCCA Registration will close ~10amFriday morning, then re-open ~6pm Friday night (registrars have jobs, too...).

Standard Fun One format - Long Course Saturday, Short Course Sunday, Pig Roast on Saturday night.
    Thank you for the information and link!

Hello to anybody running the schedule for the event! Any chance of moving STU into another class besides IT so we can double dip???

Cheers,

Ben
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

HA! Thus far it hasn't been possible for SM, SSM, SM2 to be broken apart.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    I thought the move was to have ALL MIATAs in one race group
    Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1986 RX-7 ITS #63. "Diesel Haulin' Rotary" 2005 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab The Hemi has retired "Long Live the Hemi" Bill Weaver Driver- 2004 NYSRRC John Chave Award. 2006 & 2013 ITS NYSRRC Champion!. Truck Driver Named Glen Region Worker of the Year 2008.Located 45 miles southeast of Watkins Glen in Sayre PA.

Quote Originally Posted by benspeed View Post
    Hello to anybody running the schedule for the event! Any chance of moving STU into another class besides IT so we can double dip???

Cheers,

Ben
    FWIW, My teammate and I LOVE the glen and were planing to attend, but STU being mixed with IT is a deal breaker for us

any way to fix this?

Go run STL and ITA. wanna quadruple dip? go run ITE since you are obviously crazy anyways!

Who wants to run ITE?

on edit: May I suggest switching STU with SSB and SSC? Would work great cuz STL is in a different run group and most B and C cars can run there. everyone wins. please and thank you!!!

On double edit: Do we need to contact someone directly by email? Or is someone on here involved?
    Last edited by CRallo; 08-08-2012 at 11:11 PM.
    Chris Rallo "the kid"

Group 1; SM, SSM3, SM23 ITB, ITC, SSB, SSC, STL

STL is already mixed in the Miata fest group. With the ITA Miatas needing all of the extra weight, that's not that viable. In our case, it's not about double dipping but about attending using a shared car. Not sure I'd attend but this makes the decision that much easier. I don't know why a region wouldn't want as many double dippers as they can get.

The region's contact is Chris, e-mail [email protected]
    Dave Gran

Are we looking at the same supps?

Last I saw STL was in G3...

And I was using dipping as a generic term to include car sharing.

Group 1; SM, SSM3, SM23 ITB, ITC, SSB, SSC, STL

STL is already mixed in the Miata fest group. With the ITA Miatas needing all of the extra weight, that's not that viable. In our case, it's not about double dipping but about attending using a shared car. Not sure I'd attend but this makes the decision that much easier. I don't know why a region wouldn't want as many double dippers as they can get.

The region's contact is Chris, e-mail [email protected]
    Chris Rallo "the kid"

Yah, STL in group 3, with SRFs
    Jerry
    NER South

Against my better judgement I will respond to the race groupings because I had a hand in setting them.

The groups are set up so that Miatas can run Gp1 and then double dip in Gp3 (STL) and tripple dip in Gp 5 (ITA, ITS, maybe STU)

IT cars can run Gp 1 (ITB, ITC) or Gp 5 (ITR, ITS, ITA) and then double dip in GP3 (STL).

This might not be a conventional grouping that you are used to. However, we put a lot of thought into double and tripple dipping. Let's try this and see how it works.

For any and all dippers, make sure you go to impound when necessary. We will turn you around ASAP so that you can get to your next group. Just let me know!

Thanks and please reconsider attending our event.
    Bruce Perry
    90 ITA Miata Yellow/Orange
    FLR Tech Chief

Bruce, I realize this stuff is not easy and appreciate you / others doing it.

From the Miata camp, don't many of the SM2 and SSM cars like double dipping into SM? If we were to go, one of us would want to do SM and the other SM2 or SSM (depending on where the car is in the conversion process). If STL is in group 3, I don't feel comfortable running with SRFs. And yes, I have done that before. ITA would require too much added weight to be added.

Again, I realize you'll probably upset someone regardless.

In group 1, having that many Miatas seems like it'll make for a rough first lap or two. If you guys keep it that way, maybe a split start would help keep the crashes limited?
    Dave Gran

Thanks very much for the reply!! Please read the suggestion in my previous post. I believe it would be inline with your thinking AND improve upon it.

Or, are all those classes you listed to double in STL allowed to do so regardless of engine size?

Or, Dave might not mind, and nor would I if you switched a Miata group and ITA.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Perry View Post
    Against my better judgement I will respond to the race groupings because I had a hand in setting them.
    b
    The groups are set up so that Miatas can run Gp1 and then double dip in Gp3 (STL) and tripple dip in Gp 5 (ITA, ITS, maybe STU)

IT cars can run Gp 1 (ITB, ITC) or Gp 5 (ITR, ITS, ITA) and then double dip in GP3 (STL).

This might not be a conventional grouping that you are used to. However, we put a lot of thought into double and tripple dipping. Let's try this and see how it works.

For any and all dippers, make sure you go to impound when necessary. We will turn you around ASAP so that you can get to your next group. Just let me know!

Thanks and please reconsider attending our event.
    Chris Rallo "the kid"

Most ITS and ITR can't run in STL.
    Jerry
    NER South