Thread: Hot Laps Timer

Default Hot Laps Timer

I picked up a used Hot Laps timer. I thought the transmitter and the receiver were keyed together. I realize now they are not. The instructions say that an transmitte with trip the receiver.

So my question is....what is the ground rules for using this during an event? First one out is the one everyone uses? Everyone puts theirs up anyway? Stack them all right next to each other?
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

Quote Originally Posted by raffaelli View Post

So my question is....what is the ground rules for using this during an event? First one out is the one everyone uses? Everyone puts theirs up anyway? Stack them all right next to each other?
    Chris,

I used to use one when I was racing karts at NHMS. It worked fine until somebody decided they wanted segment times and placed 2 more transmitters out on the track. I've seen where everyone puts their transmitters on the pit wall at start finish now.

I went out and bought a Rumblestrip GPS predctive timer for 395 and have been very happy with it.

http://www.rumblestripracing.com/ind...&product_id=50

Good Luck...

Are you coming to NHMS this weekend, I did not see your name on the entry list.

Regards
    Abhi

Quote Originally Posted by Abhi View Post
    Chris,

I used to use one when I was racing karts at NHMS. It worked fine until somebody decided they wanted segment times and placed 2 more transmitters out on the track. I've seen where everyone puts their transmitters on the pit wall at start finish now.

I went out and bought a Rumblestrip GPS predctive timer for 395 and have been very happy with it.

http://www.rumblestripracing.com/ind...&product_id=50

Good Luck...

Are you coming to NHMS this weekend, I did not see your name on the entry list.

Regards
    Abhi
    Thanks Abhi, I was kind of thinking I was wasting my money when I picked this up. I will try it next time and see. Hopefully, anyone that uses a timer will have upgraded to a GPS based fancy unit and I will be the only shlept with this relic.

Not going to be in NH this weekend (after my last showing there I may never go again!). Life and work are in the way of racing this summer. Hoping for two more events this season, LRP (definately) and one other (maybe).
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

I still use a hot lap timer but rarely put up the transmitter any more. Unless we are first or last group there is almost always a signal out there already.
    And come back to NH, you went thru all the effort of knocking the cobwebs out. why not build on that.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

My recollection is that the unit will ignore all transmitter signals read within 10sec of the 1st one. So, as Abhi mentioned, unless someone sticks a transmitter on the other side of the track, you're likely just fine.
    Gregg Ginsberg
    '96 Civic EX -- MARRS ITA #72
    WDCR-SCCA Rookie of the Year 2003
    MARRS ITA/T3 Drivers rep

The timers have an anti-double feature, I think it ignores trips for something like 5 seconds after the first one. So as long as everyone places there beacons in about the same place having more than 1 doesn't hurt anything.

What ends up happening is that everyone is actually using only the very first beacon and the rest are just using battery. But, unless you know for sure that other beacon is in your group, you're better off putting your out because the other beacon could be turned off or removed before your group. Plus you have a backup in case the battery goes out on the first beacon.
    Jim Hardesty
    ITC 1986 Honda Civic Diablo Rojo Verde
    Never argue your tab at the end of the night. Remember, you're hammered and they’re sober.

I'll be nice this morning since I had such a great weekend - engine not withstanding!
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com