Thread: What's the chassis??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default What's the chassis??

Maybe I'm missing something in the STCS, but I'm not sure what "is" a chassis? Is it seperated by vehicle style, sedan/coupe/convertible/roadster? Or would it correspond to GM's x-body/j-body/f-body ect.

Why ask this question: well what if a chassis was built from 1992 to 2002 but one varient of that chassis (say a sedan built from 1996-1998) had access to say a throttle body. Would all the other varients (say a coupe built in 2000) have access to that throttle body?
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

No one has any idea??

Alright, so how do I get this clarified? Other than a letter to the CRB, are there any other ways?
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Quote Originally Posted by Z3_GoCar View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something in the STCS, but I'm not sure what "is" a chassis? Is it seperated by vehicle style, sedan/coupe/convertible/roadster? Or would it correspond to GM's x-body/j-body/f-body ect.
    Don't overthink it, don't overanalyze it. It's a BMW Z3, or an Acura Integra, or a VW Golf. If you want to get technical, the chassis is the part that all the drivetrain and suspension bits attach to.

...if a chassis was built from 1992 to 2002 but one varient of that chassis (say a sedan built from 1996-1998) had access to say a throttle body. Would all the other varients (say a coupe built in 2000) have access to that throttle body?
    Yes, if you swap in the entire engine and intake that this throttle body was attached to. But if you're asking if you can take a throttle body from "this" engine, attach it to an intake manifold from "that" engine, bolt it to the head from "another" engine, and bolt that to a block from "that other" engine, then install it all in "that" car, then the answer is no. Frankensteins are not allowed.

GA

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Don't overthink it, don't overanalyze it. It's a BMW Z3, or an Acura Integra, or a VW Golf. If you want to get technical, the chassis is the part that all the drivetrain and suspension bits attach to.

Yes, if you swap in the entire engine and intake that this throttle body was attached to. But if you're asking if you can take a throttle body from "this" engine, attach it to an intake manifold from "that" engine, bolt it to the head from "another" engine, and bolt that to a block from "that other" engine, then install it all in "that" car, then the answer is no. Frankensteins are not allowed.

GA
    Gee Greg... it says "chassis" not "model" that implies that if the four door came with intake manifold A, and the two door coupe or even station wagon didn't, you could mount A on the motors of the coupe or the station wagon as they are the same "chassis". Since ST doesn't have a vin rule then any version of that "chassis" should be able to use any part that was used on the same "chassis". Frankenstein's are already allowed when the intake manifold can be from either the swapped motor or the "chassis", the horse has already left the barn so to speak.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

You're overthinking it. You should go work for Red Bull. But send in a "clarification request" if you feel the need. We'll change...sorry, "clarify"...the regs accordingly.

GA

P.S. New entries into the world of SCCA wonder why the GCR is 752 pages - and counting - long. This is why. Did you know the GCR was originally something like 42 pages...? No, really.
    Last edited by Greg Amy; 07-29-2012 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Typo

Sorry, I understand that the reg's have grown because of questions like mine, and the "over the motor" solo story Josh Sirota re-told a few years ago.

I can say this latest "hair brained" idea came from you though from our little exchange about the Z3 already being spec'ed in STO becuase it's an e-36. But, the only e-36 that came from the factory with the S54 motor was the Z3...

I don't mean to be a pain. I recently had a Belbin team roles test, and my second team role was as a "plant." Combine that with my "perceving" personality, and you get someone who's really primed for ideas. Hey, I think you've got some of this too, what with your take on port-matching Stoke of genius...
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

STO:
    GCR 9.1.4.1.E.1
    E. Engine
    1 Intake Requirements: All cars shall use the stock or approved air throttling device (e.g., carburetor, throttle body) and intake manifold for the installed engine, unless noted otherwise.

STU:
    GCR 9.1.4.2.D.2

1. All cars shall use the installed engine’s stock air throttling device (e.g., throttle body, carburetor) and intake manifold, unless noted otherwise.
    Last edited by jhooten; 07-29-2012 at 11:59 PM.
    Jerry

Lone Star Regional Executive
    Lone Star Tech Chief.