Thread: How long do Goodyear DOTs last?

Default How long do Goodyear DOTs last?

I recently made the switch to Goodyear RS DOTs on my ITS Honda, and they are corded after just 2 weekends.

For those of you running Goodyears, how long do your RS's last? Are they normally like this, or am I just exceptionally hard on my tyres?
    Roger Maeda - #7 ITS Honda Prelude Si
    South Jersey Region

roger....i run goodyear eagle rs R compound tires and they have enough tread for 4 double race weekends. i did run one set of A compound tires that the left sides at road atlanta gave up to the cord after two events.

of course A compound dont last very long.

are you on A or R compound? did you scuff your tires first or race them as stickers?

i race a grand am spec, 3400lb mustang.

Rob Bodle
    Rob Bodle Images, LLC
    RBI Competition

2007 ARRC Three hour "not a real" Enduro ITO Co-Champion.
    2009 ARRC ITO Champion.
    2009 ARRC Enduro Pole Winner
    2010 ARRC ITO Champion(car owner for Cliff Brown)
    2011 ARRC ITO Champion

They were the Road Course compound. I did, unfortunately, run them as stickers - I ran out of time so I couldn't get them scuffed or heat cycled before Lime Rock in May.

I put them through 2x 20 min practice sessions, 4x 20 minute qualis, 3x 20 minute qualifying sprints and 3x 25 minute races on a ~2700 double A-Arm FWD car before both fronts were corded on the inside. The rears still look ok.

Maybe I should have them heat cycled beforehand next time.
    South Jersey Region

Seems like 12 heat cycles for front tires on a FWD 2700 lbs car is ok. Some of us usually run ho-hos for about 6-10 heat cycles before changing them to the rear.
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

yea....that would do it. the goodyear also requires much LESS negative camber. at lime rock that might have contributed.

Rob Bodle
    Rob Bodle Images, LLC
    RBI Competition

2007 ARRC Three hour "not a real" Enduro ITO Co-Champion.
    2009 ARRC ITO Champion.
    2009 ARRC Enduro Pole Winner
    2010 ARRC ITO Champion(car owner for Cliff Brown)
    2011 ARRC ITO Champion

That makes me feel better. You're right about the alignment - I still have around 3 deg static up front. I should probably take that down to around 2.5 and see how it fares.

Thanks guys. This is my first year on Goodyears (coming off of RA1s), so I'm having to re-learn everything. I'll get it though (eventually)!
    Last edited by boxedfox; 07-23-2012 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Whoops. Tab-Entered too quickly
    South Jersey Region

We have been using the Goodyear Rs's for 3 years and get 10-12 heat cycles out of them before they are too thin to run. We have rear wheel drive 3,000 lb cars-maybe it's the front wheel drive that is killing them? I like the goodyears as they don't get greasy in the second half of the race when youre pushing hard. The only issue we have had is that they seem to take a little longer than the hoosiers to get really sticky.