Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Charlotte Night Race

Quote Originally Posted by timo944 View Post
    Ok, I'm in. Looks like the 944,won't be fixed so I'm bringing the Nissan. Some Qs for y'all:

- where are people staying?

- what's this track like for spectators? The family wants to come, but is there a decent place to watch the racing? I assume spectators are allowed in the infield?

Looking forward to this one!!!
    Steve will have to chime in but the track used to allow spectators in the stands on the front straight.
    Les Chaney
    #33 FP Volvo

Last time I was there (admitidly mid '90s) I had may Winnebago parked in the infield by turn three and four. My son called the whole race and every turn to me on the radio from the roof of the motorhome.

Sorry for slow response, on vacation!!

There is a new observation deck over the pit road that shoud be high enough to see the entire track. We were promised access for the weekend. I can check but it will most likely be OK to go around track and sit in stands. This is a spectator event (all SCCA are now) so guests that will not be in hot area are welcome no charge with track waiver signature. Need to be SCCA member and sign our waiver to receive everything else.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

Works for me Steve. Don't worry about it. Just thinking about where the kids can hang out. They're 3 and 5 yrs old so they get bored easily.

I got a garage but now I'm wondering if being on the grass wouldn't be better.....
    timo

We managed to work out a test day on Friday. Full day is $250 and half day after 1:00pm is $150. Email [email protected] with your car and driver information to reserve a spot. You may pay cash or check at the track. Spots are on a first come basis. Also note we are about to capacity on the CCPS race Saturday night so if you plan to run you better enter now.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7

Wooo Hooo, 20 ITS cars and counting!!
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7

If anyone would like to help in the Tech shed at CMS next weekend we could sure use a few more experienced hands. Send me a PM and we can work out compensation. Maybe Greg and his little whistler want to travel.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7

Thought I would post this email that will be going to all drivers.

Hello All

Thanks for choosing to be a part of the MARRS/SARRC race at Charlotte Motor Speedway with Central Carolinas Region.

Test day will open registration at 7:00am Friday in the infield media center with first car on track at 8:00am. We will have 3 groups alternating with 30 minute sessions. Break for lunch from 12:00-1:00 and resume 30 minute sessions.

CCR will be selling 10# bags of ice at the speedway near the Media Center Friday & Saturday 7-9A and Noon-2P and on Sunday from 11A-2P. Cost is $2 per bag. We do not want drivers without ice for cool suits.

Food vendors: Bojangles Chicken & Biscuits will have their speedway facility open Saturday from 7A-3P and Sunday from 10A-3P. Bruester’s Ice Cream will also be selling ice cream and hot dogs and other neat stuff.

We will be at the track Thursday evening from 6:00pm until 9:00 pm for those that want to arrive early. You may set up in your garage if you have one rented at that time. You may still rent garages if available at the track. There will be a number on a parking slot across from your garage for your tow rig. Please work with our paddock marshal to get everyone safely in. The area inside Nascar 3 – 4 is open parking. Maps will be given out inside the tunnel entrance. We will allow you to enter the track any time on Friday, but please be considerate of those testing and do not block garages, etc. Links to basic map if you want one now.

http://www.stampcometal.com/files/CMS_MAP.JPGhttp://www.stampcometal.com/files/CMF_MAP.PDF

Registration for the races will open in the infield media center at 5:00pm Friday (might open early, but no promise). We will also have express tech set up in the media center next to registration so bring your log book if you have a current annual with car and gear checked off. All others must go to tech in the track side of the Sprint Cup garage. We have a lot of drivers to register so please have everything ready when you get to the registrars and have checks filled out if possible, those behind you will appreciate it. Cash or check only please.

CCPS will be set up near tech in the Sprint Cup garage if you wish to register for the series payouts. CCPS entrants please register your second drivers on DLB.

All drivers please look over the entry list and see that you are listed properly for your series points (MARRS must have M before class designation) that you are listed in all races you entered, and number is correct for what you will have on the car.

Friday Evening 7:15pm - 9:30pm Quaker Steak & Lube V8Stockcar/SCCA Pre Race Social & SE-GTA advisory committee and drivers meeting. Everyone welcome.

We will break somewhere around 5:00 on Saturday and cook dinner for all workers, drivers, and crew. Please come hungry and join everyone in the infield media center. We will return to racing at 7:00pm with group 1 Big Bore under full speedway lighting followed by the first CCPS 45 minute race. We have 64 current entries in CCPS so it should be quite a show. Donations of adult beverages (or cash) welcome for the social following the last race of the day.

Plan to sleep in as CMS has quiet hour until 12:00 pm Sunday at which time we have a short warm up to allow the CCPS drivers to check cars out/ bed brakes from the night race. Then we go green with the second CCPS 45 minute race followed by hardship for open, and then closed wheel. We continue racing with groups 5-4-3-2 in reverse order from Saturday to give the CCPS drivers time to turn the cars for their sprint races. Last year we finished about 4:00 so if all goes well you will be on the road home early.

If you are double dipping a car in back to back groups please let us know so we can give you time to get to grid. We will work with you. If you break and need parts please ask so we can direct you to racers or local shops to get you fixed up. We want you to enjoy your weekend with CCR.

Thanks
    Steve Eckerich
    CCR RE
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7

Now the long post. Weather gods were happy and the rain came after test day ended and then again Sunday Morning during quiet hour. CCps started damp but every other race was dry. Thanks to everyone that supported the weekend. The worker crew was second to none and the Marrs crowd were a pleasure to work with. Waiting to see final numbers but we had over 250 by Saturday morning before drops and mechanicals.

Finally got to meet a lot of the people I only see on the forums. I had the most fun racing with all of you I have had in years, all class acts. Met Brian Price and left with huge respect. He was stupid fast in his ITA Miata but chose not to get in the middle of the ITS battle early on when he should have made some passes. I think he was just entertaining himself watching me slide around on 2010 13 hour tires. Already have this race on the 2013 schedule and hope our MARRS guests will join us again.

Night race goes without saying--awsome!! Need a little more light in 3a-3b and we just might get a box of glow sticks for the SRF. Everyone kept it clean and gave plenty of racing room.

Sunday race group 2 as Jeff Young noted, syncronized parallel parking followed by drag race. Laughed the rest of the race.

Hope everyone had fun and felt welcome, we want you back. All registered drivers with a valid email address in DLB will get an email this week asking for your feedback. Please be honest so we can fix our weaknesses and make this a better race for you. I already kicked up the burgers/driver ratio for next year. We had some hungry people!! If you were the few that arrived when food ran out you have the fast pass to the front next year, just see me.

Now one not so good part of the weekend. Chuck Hines, driver of the Green ITS RX7 Has been suspended indefinitely for all SCCA sanctioned events in CCR terratory. Last year at CMS he totaled 2 drivers cars and hit others. He received a 2 race probation but does not seem to have altered his driving style. He had multiple contact with cars in the Saturday SARRC taking Brian Price, and myself out with contact. I had a long talk with him following the race about getting under control and he gave an explanation and expressed regret. We did not protest. He went out to qualify and slowed down late in the session to get behind Harold Corbin in his Orange RX7. Next lap he contacted Harold in the brake zone in 1 and turned him hard into the wall.

Harold protested and the stewards ruled it a racing incident. To say that I am completely disappointed with their lack of action would be an understatement. My region will no longer allow drivers with complete disregard for others to continue to destroy others investment. Further action is pending but we have done what is in our power at this time. I am sorry to the drivers in group 2 for not acting sooner.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7

Quote Originally Posted by seckerich View Post
    Now one not so good part of the weekend. Chuck Hines, driver of the Green ITS RX7 Has been suspended indefinitely for all SCCA sanctioned events in CCR terratory. Last year at CMS he totaled 2 drivers cars and hit others. He received a 2 race probation but does not seem to have altered his driving style. He had multiple contact with cars in the Saturday SARRC taking Brian Price, and myself out with contact. I had a long talk with him following the race about getting under control and he gave an explanation and expressed regret. We did not protest. He went out to qualify and slowed down late in the session to get behind Harold Corbin in his Orange RX7. Next lap he contacted Harold in the brake zone in 1 and turned him hard into the wall.

Harold protested and the stewards ruled it a racing incident. To say that I am completely disappointed with their lack of action would be an understatement. My region will no longer allow drivers with complete disregard for others to continue to destroy others investment. Further action is pending but we have done what is in our power at this time. I am sorry to the drivers in group 2 for not acting sooner.
    Chuck Hines has apparently been out of control for a while. Just banning him from CCR events is probably not going to solve the problem, though. This probably needs to be a whole new topic for discussion. I'm sure it will get plenty of input, as his driving has impacted (pun intended) so many in such a negative way.
    David Plott
    Atlanta Region #289721
    #54 1973 Datsun 240Z
    Mount Juliet, TN

Results are up on the CCR home page.

http://www.ccrscca.com/
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7

We also had a professional photographer on site and wanted to post a link to pictures if anyone is interested. I believe Ron took a lot of pictures and will post his info if he sends it to me.

Great meeting you at CMS last week end. What a busy two days! Looked like most had a good time with obvious exceptions!
    I posted galleries after 4 solid days of editing. I posted what I managed to get on the "big crash", and though they are not perfect, they do showthat the impacts were pretty brutal. !
    Hope to see you at a future event
    kind regards
    Robin Thompson

http://www.art-racing.com

Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7

I had no intention of going to this until Steve told me on the phone what fun it is. Well I'm glad I went. I had a great time despite toasting the transmission, and kudos are definitely in order for Steve and Vicki, and for Steve Parrish for all of his help, his support and his rear shocks.

Definitely on the list for next year!
    timo

You are welcome. Steve found out if you break early we are like vultures. You picked his shocks off the Z, I swiped the pads off the rear of the RX, etc. I have a feeling both those cars will be top notch by the next race. Thanks again for the parts after I forgot my spares package.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7

You are welcome. Steve found out if you break early we are like vultures. You picked his shocks off the Z, I swiped the pads off the rear of the RX, etc. I have a feeling both those cars will be top notch by the next race. Thanks again for the parts after I forgot my spares package.
    I was going to ask Steve for his transmission too but there was no time to swap it......
    timo

hey steve

i took a mess a pictures thru the weekend. there is a link below to one highlight.
    if anyone wants me to check my stuff for some of them just give me car descript and run group.

http://robbodleimages.tumblr.com/pos...ow-i-means-wow

Rob Bodle
    Rob Bodle Images, LLC
    RBI Competition

2007 ARRC Three hour "not a real" Enduro ITO Co-Champion.
    2009 ARRC ITO Champion.
    2009 ARRC Enduro Pole Winner
    2010 ARRC ITO Champion(car owner for Cliff Brown)
    2011 ARRC ITO Champion

Default bout time

Thank you,
    David
    30 year old ITS car

Quote Originally Posted by timo944 View Post
    I was going to ask Steve for his transmission too but there was no time to swap it......
    I'm glad our parts worked out for everyone!
    Steve Parrish
    57 ITS Nissan 300ZX