Thread: Treadzone ProIT/SM split starts...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Treadzone ProIT/SM split starts...

I still don't understand why this group doesn't have a split start...

From a stewards point I would like it, it doesn't make sense not to split them.

From a spectator standpoint it suck watching these races if you are watching anything but ITR/overall. SM cars always forget to fix the classes on the side of the car so you have no idea who is racing what. However I have to admit from a spectator side it is great watching everyone pile into the first turn on the start... You always get to see some sort of contact!

From a drivers standpoint in IT (It is "ProIT") it sucks because if you are not in ITR infront of the SM field then you could be less than a second from others in your class and have 10 miatas between you. I realize that I have not raced in ProIT for years and as of now because of this issue I don't really have an interest in it.

Unlike others I love the miatas and I think they put on the best show for racing in the US. However in this format it really isn't that great. I would much rather watch the regional races to see a good race

I feel like some of us have asked this for years but we just cant seem to get a strieght answer or consistancy so I go back to my question of the day... Why not split start???

Respectfully (I hope it comes out that way);

Raymond Blethen
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

I would think that the ITR guys prefer to not have the split start so that they don't have to lap the full SM field at once that are starting half a lap further back than in a group start. Pluses and minuses either way, but I can say I like the group start as an SM driver.
    -Keith
    #60SM

Problem is the group has more than ITR and SM... It also has IT'S, ITA, ITB and could sometimes have ITC
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

The fields actually spread out quite nicely when everyone starts together so I do t really think that there is a problem. I would go as far as to say that it helps to have the SMs spread throughout the field so there are fewer packs of them. Everyone plays nice and we have fewer groups of bump drafting miatas since there are other classes breaking it up.

I know everyone hates racing the miatas, but I dot see how plopping a full on SM race half a lap in front of the fast cars will make it less of a headache for the R cars. You'll have to lap slow cars more often as well since thy start so far behind on the opening lap.
    -Keith
    #60SM

As an ITB driver, I'm not a split start fan. What it usually means is the fast pack of SM's catch up to the ITB race right at the laps into things point where positions should be settling out, and instead there are multiple freight trains that expect to get let by. Since these are the top of the class, one is sort of obligated to let them go, except it usually messes up your own race.

I think split starts typically happen based on stewards/officials wanting to lessen the T1 traffic jam at the green. That's been my experience; it is only instituted if entry is up near the track limit.
    Rob Foley
    Race: ITB '87 CRX Si
    Autocross: GP '86 Civic Si

Split start is almost never a good idea. If the grid is set by time, the fast cars at the front go away from the slower cars behind.

It's multi-class racing, people. We will NEVER get rid of the "different cars make time in different places" reality, and there's zero need to complicate things with split starts.

K

Ray,
    I couldnt agree with you more. The fast miatas get in the middle of the fast ITS cars race and vica versa. Even if you have 2 ITS cars battling for position and one miata driving around by itself, the miata will not let the ITS cars past and will race them thru every corner, messing up their race. ALL drivers need to recognize who is in their class and who they are racing against. No car is as fast as a miata in the corners, we all recognize that but if you are an SM, what is the prupose of holding up the ITS car not in their class?
    The SM guys are real vocal in the drivers meeting and vote down the split start. I would bet most of the IT drivers that arent in first palce would welcome it.

ALL drivers need to recognize who is in their class and who they are racing against. No car is as fast as a miata in the corners, we all recognize that but if you are an SM, what is the prupose of holding up the ITS car not in their class?
    A buffer between the car inclass behind. I know in the SSM races I tried hard to get an SM2 between me and the 2nd place SSM car.

Oh, is that an SM, SSM, SM2, ITA, EP, or what class Miata? lol!
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

A couple quick points from my POV which may be different from raymonds and others.

Most mixed class racing at a professional level invloves window banners or headlights of some type that distinguish the class so it is easy for competitors to know whom they are racing. (Unless the cars are drastically different like DP vs GT) If I was in ITS or ITA I would have no clue who I was racing. Thankfully I am not.

In reality we have small groups in IT and a large field of SM cars. when you only have 3 or 4 IT cars in a class it kinda sucks to be stuck in the middle of 10-15 other SM cars. Especially knowing that you "could" stay up with and race with the other cars in your class if you could just get past this chain of SM cars.

I think the split start adds excitement to SM as a spectator because you can watch basically another race on track with the PRO-IT guys. Instead they are just mixed in.

To be honest I am still not sure why we call it PRO-IT... I always thought if you had a PRO-IT and PRO-SM race group combined with a split start it would make good business sense. I think if done correctly it could drive excitement and press about the series.

I am VERY happy for the success they are having with the series. I think they should keep doing what they are because it seems to be working for them and they like it.

With that being said,
    I WILL race in ITR in that series because it brings out what I feel are the BEST and BIGGEST ITR fields in the country. I however will never race my ITB car in the series because it draws small entries and is not enjoyable. Here in the the North East ITB is all about the NARRC series as that draws large fields and most of the best of the best in this area!

Stephen