Thread: Treadzone ProIT/SM split starts...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Just to add another point of view, split starts can be a real nighmare when there is a problem with the first group. The rules of start dictate that if the first group gets a green, then the second group gets a green, no matter what shape the field is in. Then it's up to a start judge, if one is designated, to apply penalties to offending drivers. If there is an issue with the first group in the first turn, hopefully there is enough time to bring out a yellow or waving yellow to warn the drivers, who may or not be watching the starter (how many drivers have radios and crews to tell them when the starter throws the green?). There have been very painful consequences as the result of the second group charging into turn one with 50 - 70% track blockage.

Just another point of view.
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

What's really funny is when the Production guys request a split start becuase there's DOT-R tired cars in their run group. They say, "Oh this DOT-R guys going to be a rocket down the straights and hold us slick tired cars up in the corners"

The payback is when the DOT-R tired car out qualifies them all
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

We did the split start in Round 1 at NJMP. I like the single start. Being a mid-pack ITS driver; on split starts, I have packs of lead Miatas screaming past me by lap 2. It throws me off, and lap cars sometimes throw them off. I know, traffic is part of racing, but it puts a bit of a damper on your race when you spend the first few laps trying to avoid getting hit by dive-bombing Miatas instead of finding your rythm.

I'd rather mix it up with comparable Miatas than have to worry about getting in the way of leaders so early on in the race. At least when there is a single start, you can have an idea of when the few ITR car should be coming around to lap you.

I had no idea so many people didn't like split starts... Good to know for sure, I can keep my mouth shut from now on and just enjoy watching the starts!!! I will still come play with the group when I can afford some of the higher profile events that I do love!!!

Raymond
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

Sometimes I like them especially in 'bigger" events such as the ARRC. Now having been on both sides in an ITB and this weekend in an SSM car, it's tough for both classes. The top two ITB cars and the top two SSM cars were mixed in with each other. Speeds were made in different places as well. Tough when multiple cars are battling for the lead in different classes, right in the same place.

However in this case, I think all drivers did their best to work it out as best as possible. Later in the race the 2nd ITB car gave me the point by with the lead SSM car in front of Rick's ITB car. Didn't take it thinking in would mess up his race. (In retrospect I probably should have but didn't think I'd catch the leader.)
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Quote Originally Posted by RSTPerformance View Post
    I had no idea so many people didn't like split starts... Good to know for sure, I can keep my mouth shut from now on and just enjoy watching the starts!!! I will still come play with the group when I can afford some of the higher profile events that I do love!!!

Raymond
    Nothing wrong with bringing up a suggestion aimed at improving the race.

It is labled "PRO IT" so makes sense in that perspective IMO.
    Dave Gran

Quote Originally Posted by RacerBill View Post
    There have been very painful consequences as the result of the second group charging into turn one with 50 - 70% track blockage.

Just another point of view.
    Questions:
    1. So it is better to have another 20 cars part of the pack as the cars in 5th and 6th position block 50-70% of the track?
    2. Turn 1 failed to display the appropriate flag?

What's the rationale for not having a combined start some of the pro events such as the Rolex / Conti series? Wouldn't the faster classes just run away anyways? Or strictly for TV and entertainment purposes?
    Dave Gran

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    What's the rationale for not having a combined start some of the pro events such as the Rolex / Conti series? Wouldn't the faster classes just run away anyways? Or strictly for TV and entertainment purposes?
    Guessing here -

1. Nothing to do with entertainment value as more cars through T1 at once would be more entertaining and the split start gives us half-screens of the fast and slow classes.
    2. It spreads out the field so that a bone-head move by a fast/slow car won't take out a slow/fast car.
    3. Reduces the accordian effect.