Thread: Tri-Region Announces Updates at Pocono Raceway

Default Tri-Region Announces Updates at Pocono Raceway

Did you get the email? Tri-Region is using a new config at Pocono for the August National. Combined with track re-surfacing there, I'm actually looking forward to this one...

http://www.nediv.com/club-racing/89-...raceway-update

We ran this configuration about 10 years ago. It was the only layout I liked there. The formula cars have a bit of a problem with the rise in the middle of the section inside nascar turn 1 as its pretty abrupt. In a sedan it will be fun. If they promise not to pinch off turn 1 like they did last year I may go there again.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by zchris View Post
    We ran this configuration about 10 years ago. It was the only layout I liked there. The formula cars have a bit of a problem with the rise in the middle of the section inside nascar turn 1 as its pretty abrupt. In a sedan it will be fun. If they promise not to pinch off turn 1 like they did last year I may go there again.
    Chris
    Tri-Region has a new road course to be run clockwise at Pocono Raceway. It is a complete road course that does not use NASCAR Turn #1 or the chicane at the end of the back straight. The course is a combination of portions of the North and South road courses creating a 2.25 mile, 9 turn real road course with an elevation change on the South portion. The “humps” in the road course caused by the foundations for the NASCAR “Safer Barrier” have been eliminated and the entire tri-oval repaved during the facility reconstruction program.
    Also, a new timing loop has been installed in the front straight near Race Control so we can time and score from the Start/Finish line.
    Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1986 RX-7 ITS #63. "Diesel Haulin' Rotary" 2005 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab The Hemi has retired "Long Live the Hemi" Bill Weaver Driver- 2004 NYSRRC John Chave Award. 2006 & 2013 ITS NYSRRC Champion!. Truck Driver Named Glen Region Worker of the Year 2008.Located 45 miles southeast of Watkins Glen in Sayre PA.

Quote Originally Posted by zchris View Post
    Chris
    They pinched RC turn #1 at the pro-it last year. There was some friction between the stewards and a couple of drivers regarding the config. Someone (names withheld) threaten to take the cones out one way or another. I think Marc Cefalo and I did the deed eventually by just racing...
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

Chris

There has been considerable discussion regarding the abrupt transition in the new South section of this course. Earlier in the year, Pocono was actively considering a minor paving change in this area to remedy this problem. I'll check on the current status and report back.

Mickey

They pinched RC turn #1 at the pro-it last year. There was some friction between the stewards and a couple of drivers regarding the config. Someone (names withheld) threaten to take the cones out one way or another. I think Marc Cefalo and I did the deed eventually by just racing...
    I thought that Marc had a co-conspirator but now I know ... thanks for confessing . A secondary benefit of this revised course configuration is that speeds on the main straight will be lower and the artificial apex will not be required.

This configuration was used from 1999 until 2001. Although the layout was well received at the time, it was reluctantly abandoned after 2001 because of a major safety concern which could not be remediated. Last year's Safer Barrier installation removed this hazard. A course inspection late last year found this course to be suitable for SCCA road racing. With the oval entry / exit repaving and hopefully the fix in the South section, this will undoubtedly be the best road racing configuration that Pocono has ever had.

I urge everyone to give it a try this year

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by mossaidis View Post
    They pinched RC turn #1 at the pro-it last year. There was some friction between the stewards and a couple of drivers regarding the config.
    If we're talking about the same place, that whole inner area was DANGEROUS. It was so bumpy that my NX would come off the ground there and I was temporarily out of control; I had to pre-aim the car in expectation (hopes?) of coming back to Mother Earth and the bouncy NX only bouncing twice. It was as bad as those Aussie V8s going four over a large inside FIA curb...but without the good suspension. It was the fastest way, though.

I, for one, am not unhappy to see that all go away. - GA

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Hanushek View Post
    Chris

I thought that Marc had a co-conspirator but now I know ... thanks for confessing . A secondary benefit of this revised course configuration is that speeds on the main straight will be lower and the artificial apex will not be required.

Terry
    Cones?........

It's amazing how resilient a miata bumper is to cones jumping in the way.

Thank God for no artificial apex. Now the Supper Jammy Whiz Bang line through turn one can now be used.....

I assume pace laps will be done driving through NASCAR 1?
    Marc Cefalo
    2002 SM Miata

www.planet-miata.com

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Hanushek View Post
    I thought that Marc had a co-conspirator but now I know ... thanks for confessing
    I confess nothing... as Marc mentioned, we can't be blamed for "collateral damage".

Last edited by mossaidis; 06-19-2012 at 10:32 AM.
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

Cones? I think I was at the Pocono race with Mickey and Marc, only running about 20 seconds behind them and no one else in my class to play with. My flagger background kicked in and I spent a couple laps setting up chips shots with the corner of my bumper to clear those stray cones out of the middle of the track.

I suppose I should have thanked you guys for giving me something to keep me busy.

I am happy to see a change to the Pocono config, if the transitions are fixed and the artificial apex is removed it will be worth another trip back.
    ~Matt Rowe
    ITA Dodge Neon
    NEDiv

This is one of my favorite track configurations here in the NorthEast! Glad they are getting it up to standards so we can race!

Stephen

Raced that version back in 2001. I approve of the decision to reimplement it. Funny though how the repave and the need to keep the clubbies off of it was received.
    Brad

Yeah, I hated the coned apex..... but I think I'm just about the only one out there that liked the previous configuration. I felt the drafting was a new skill that we rarely get to use to this extent.

And that wasn't Cefelo's first run-in with cones.......... He got DQ'ed in a race because they had put cones at Devil's Elbow to protect a patch they put down. Marc would punt the cones, the workers would scurry out to replace them only to have Marc punt them again the next time around. After the third or fourth time of the same excercise (Think Abott and Costello in fast motion set to piano music) they tried black flagging him............ Only to have Marc ignor them!! Very funny stuff!!
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Quote Originally Posted by JLawton View Post

And that wasn't Cefelo's first run-in with cones.......... He got DQ'ed in a race because they had put cones at Devil's Elbow to protect a patch they put down. Marc would punt the cones, the workers would scurry out to replace them only to have Marc punt them again the next time around. After the third or fourth time of the same excercise (Think Abott and Costello in fast motion set to piano music) they tried black flagging him............ Only to have Marc ignor them!! Very funny stuff!!

It's CEFALO......at least you spelled my first name right....

Yes I did ignore the black flag. While its funny to talk about now, it wasn't smart and only infuriated the officials more. The chief steward at the time whom will remain anonymous, was gracious enough to have a stern conversation with me, yet not go further than a dq'ed.

Anyways, can't wait to go to pocono. Planet Miata will see everyone in "our house".
    Marc Cefalo
    2002 SM Miata

www.planet-miata.com

Well, sadly, this is actually a big disappointment for me...

Modification to the Pocono Bonus National Event

We need to go back to the previous configuration of the Pocono Long Course for the Tri-Region, Laps tp Conquer MS, NESCCA Bonus National on 8/10-12.

Pocono management has just recently told us that the infield road courses will be repaved prior to the beginning of the 2013 racing season. This is due to financial considerations after repaving the entire tri-oval for NASCAR, so no additional paving can be done in 2012. Therefore, they cannot create the requested asphalt patch we needed in the South Course transition area after the entry from the chicane for this year's race. As we look at the situation, we know that too many drivers have had problems with cars bottoming out in the South road course area, and cars have been damaged when that course was used several years ago. Since the South Course transition area cannot be changed before our race weekend, we have decided to return to our previous configuration - running clockwise from the front straight onto the infield section of the North Course, which will lead to the smooth, newly repaved Pocono tri-oval. This new smooth surface continues from there all the way around the tri-oval to the re-entry into the North Course infield leg, including a repaved chicane and NASCAR Turn #1. The concrete foundations for the NASCAR Safer Barriers that crossed the road course have been taken care of for 2012.

As in the past, we expect to adjust the artificial apex from the front straight to Turn #1. We need to consider the safety of the flaggers at the first flag station due to the high speeds achieved on the front straight after coming off NASCAR Turn #1.

While the course for this year has reverted back to 2.5 miles, the event will remain the same. There will still be a full SCCA test day on Friday, the order of sessions will stay as is, and there will be a party Saturday evening. The change from a 2.25 mile course to a 2.5 mile course means that the National Races will be 18 laps, not 20. Registration is briefly delayed because of the modification to the Supps due to this course change. It will be at www.motorsportreg.com soon. We hope you will join us for the last NESCCA National Races in the Northeast Division in 2012.

George Bloeser, Tri-Region Chair Dave Panas, Chief Steward

For more information, call George Bloeser, Tri-Region Chairman at 610-965-0585 (home) or 484-226-4315 (cell), or email him at [email protected].
    Last edited by Greg Amy; 07-10-2012 at 08:56 PM.

I am not attending but is it possible to move flag station #1 so that we can take turn 1 at speed? I loved that turn when we did have the artificial apex cones added in.

Stephen

Agreed, the change back to the prior course is a shame, but the continued issues with the artificial apex at T1 is a deal breaker. It looks like Pocono will get a corner worker back for this event.
    ~Matt Rowe
    ITA Dodge Neon
    NEDiv

Well, sadly, this is actually a big disappointment for me...
    It is very disappointing. Given that the track would not address the abrupt transition in the South infield, I think that Tri Region made the proper decision. If the race had used the new configuration with no infield repair, there would have been considerable car damage (much more than last year with the Safer wall track) and there would have been a further erosion of interest. Now, at least, we can say 'Wait til next year.

Terry