Thread: mk2 jetta timing

Default mk2 jetta timing

i am timing my car and was wondering what people are running for timing degrees? i do not have an adjustable timing light either . just a normal plain jain.

engine:1.8
    fuel: cis
    plugs: ngk platinum(not sure on the number)

I have run between 29 and 32 on different 1.8 8v motors. Get an adjustable light if you can.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Each cam wheel tooth is about 16*. If you are very careful you can set the timing at the cam wheel. Set it at 1.5 teeth @ 4000rpm and over.
    *** For streetuse only** . Idle should show about 1 tooth with most systems.

For race, you really need a good light and perfect marks. Set at 29*+-2 @ 4000 and over( all advance in) I unplug the all vac lines and leave unplugged.
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

ok great. i set my base at the "0" mark on flywheel which is 6 or 8 degrees i cant remember then got an adjustable light and set it 12 degrees, not sure what it is at around 4 degrees + though

Default Digifant???

If you have Digifant ( i.e. electronic injection) in an A2 you MUST go through the procedure for setting timing as set out in the workshop manual or you will be AFU!

Also, if you are running your ignition through the ECU you can't confirm the total advance with a timinglight because it is highly processed and irrational.

With digifant I highly recommend you splice into the ignition signal from the halls unit going to the ECM and feed that in directly to the ignition amplifier, removing the connection out of the ECM to the amplifier. With the stock digifant distributor the advance we'll be locked up at whatever you set it for. Works fine for our purposes. And no question about where it's set!
    phil hunt

He said CIS. That tells me vacuum advance, unless he meant CIS-E. Either way it should be easier than digi.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

The O mark is zero.
    I dont know what the square pegs are, as I have never used them, they vary.
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

- 0 is the zero mark
    - the slash or engraved line is the factory recommended timing
    - the square peg is nothing, its just part of the casting