Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Watkins Glen July 21-22

From Marc's in-car (which TOTALLY sucks for him and I'd be super pissed as whomever was an idiot; not saying Steve but someone certainly was): http://vimeo.com/46202528

LOTS of talk from those on the front straight grandstands. Will see if I can get some of the other video online.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

wow, that's a shot out of nowhere......and an advertisement for a head restraint seat or nets. Hope he's feeling ok (other than the broken car).

-Vick

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    From Marc's in-car (which TOTALLY sucks for him and I'd be super pissed as whomever was an idiot; not saying Steve but someone certainly was): http://vimeo.com/46202528

LOTS of talk from those on the front straight grandstands. Will see if I can get some of the other video online.
    OK, I thought from your first post that we would see something that showed how it went down. This doesn't show anything as to the cause. Bummer for all in the end.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Watch the rear view mirror. Looks like a blue/orange car comes up on Marc's right rear quarter; next thing you see is Denise's car turning left in front of Marc.

My guess is the blue/orange car nosed in between Marc to the left and Denise to the right, tagged Denise in the left rear quarter, turning her left across both cars and into the left wall. And/or, the blue/orange car inserted himself into momentary adequate space but Denise was not aware and came across him, spinning her off to the left. And/or Denise got pushed over into the blue/orange, same result.

GA
    Last edited by Greg Amy; 07-23-2012 at 08:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Watch the rear view mirror. Looks like a blue/orange car comes up on Marc's right rear quarter; next thing you see is Denise's car turning left in front of Marc.

My guess is the blue/orange car nosed in between Marc to the left and Denise to the right, tagged Denise in the left rear quarter, turning her left across both cars and into the left wall. And/or, the blue/orange car inserted himself into momentary adequate space but Denise was not aware and came across him, spinning her off to the left. And/or Denise got pushed over into the blue/orange, same result.

GA
    Good observation on the blue/orange - which I am sure was Steve. His video will be up soon as we get it uploaded...
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

ya that would have pissed me off as well. feel bad for Mark for sure!

I was watching the qualifying with my daughter who was facinated with his nephew (I think that was the relation) Anyway Ashlyn and him were playing and he got stung by a bee... tough weekend for Mark and his family for sure!

Stephen

Greg

I talked with Denise and looked at her car in the paddock after the race. There was a definite black spot on the left rear in front of the rear wheel. She said that was the initial contact which turned her car (and drove her into the wall). I understand that this was basically confirmed in a conversation that she had with Steve.

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Hanushek View Post
    Greg

I talked with Denise and looked at her car in the paddock after the race. There was a definite black spot on the left rear in front of the rear wheel. She said that was the initial contact which turned her car (and drove her into the wall). I understand that this was basically confirmed in a conversation that she had with Steve.

Terry
    It's correct that I'm the blue/orange car. Greg's analysis of Marc's vid is also spot on. And yes, I had a conversation with Denise in which I apologized - and said I felt like I was just holding a straight line. She said I got into her. I accepted that version and reiterated my apology.

But then a fellow competitor said HE thought I was just driving straight, and the guys at the shop say that's what my vid shows (I haven't yet seen it myself, but will today). So in my mind now, Greg's 3 possibilities still exist: 1) I moved right and touched Denise; 2) she moved left of her own volition and touched me; 3) she was forced left and touched me.

Here's the lesson for me: watch as much video as possible before assigning or accepting blame. It's common sense.

Note that regardless of who moved where when, I DO feel rotten for my fellow competitors.
    Last edited by ulfelder; 07-24-2012 at 07:43 AM.

Steve Ulfelder
    Author of Purgatory Chasm and The Whole Lie
    www.ulfelder.com

Video is key. I know it's saved my butt from other competitors before.
    Dave Gran

Well....Can't let you all decide my fate without saying something! We have watched all videos posted and my own ( about a million times). Unfortunately I do not know how to upload my video but have an idea and will try when time permits. My video doesn't show much as I told Steve, because contact was in the rear left and my camera was pointed to the right, obviously front! The thing it does show is my right wheels on a seam in the track without waiver until you hear a hit and then the spin. Still doesn't prove anything, but I also feel I was holding straight. It does take out the possibility listed that I was pushed from the right. There was plenty of room between me and the car on my right, no contact there. The video from the stands probably would have been the best view but the incident happened slightly after the picture was panned left. I am extremely disappointed obviously, but hope I can get the car fixed and race again another day! I have the utmost respect for Steve as a driver and friend but also feel I held my line.
    Denise VanBuren

Just glad it wasn't worse for you Denise. I watched Ulan's in car. You took a hell of a hit on the guard rail. I bet you are feeling it today. Here's hoping you get it back on track quickly!
    Stephanie Funk
    <Couple of NARRC and NERRC bragging things here>
    HP Honda CRX in progress, ITB Honda Civic, ITA Honda CRX, ITC Honda CRX
    "Green Booger Racing"

Quote Originally Posted by ner88 View Post
    Ian...You're that much faster, no one chasing, the leader not in sight and two laps to go, would I make that pass?? not there and not then!
    Same type of issue happened to Dick and myself in the practice/qual on Sat in the bus stop. We were on the rumble strips with drivers left tires when we were passed on the LEFT by a BMW going very fast. I thought he bounced off Dick but he actually did not but it was that close. To be honest I was not looking to be passed there but I think that was a bit uncalled for in a practice/qual session against 2 lower classed cars. Could have caused a huge wreck for no real gain. Not really sure which BMW it was.
    Dan Deyo
    92 Acura Integra
    ITA #94

My wonderful spin and getting to watch cars go passing by.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA3-aMCeFHM[/ame]
    Dave Gran

I would just like to say regardless of what's going on in the pro IT group it weds to change. This season alone you guys have destroyed many cars during a start or the first couple of laps. They are 45 minute races and you guys don't give your selves enough room to race; especially going into the first turn. I watch every pro IT race cuz I'm stick with big bore and quite frankly wouldnt bring my ITE car to run with you guys because I love my car. Just sayin...give each other more racing room so that all the cars have a chance to finish the race.
    #72 ITE Scirocco
    NARRC ITE champion 2011

nice video for sure.

Put your visor down! At least as an example for the young folks! Sorry for the exclamation points but I took a piece of rubber in the left eye at NJMP this year. The following thoughts crossed my mind:

1. Crap, I can't see out of my left eye. This will make the chicane more interesting.
    2. I'm going to look really stupid in impound with a closed and runny eye
    3. My wife is going to go ape when she finds out I got hurt in my race car.

Luckily all was relatively ok by the time I hit impound, but it was a lesson.

Absolutely! My first ever race, the five lap practice one you do in the school, was at Summit Point. Big field, chaos heading into one. Took a huge chunk of rubber right on my left cheekbone when I was the meat in a three car sandwich. Lesson learned. Stung like a mother.
    Stephanie Funk
    <Couple of NARRC and NERRC bragging things here>
    HP Honda CRX in progress, ITB Honda Civic, ITA Honda CRX, ITC Honda CRX
    "Green Booger Racing"

Great in car of the #11 ITA CPM Motorsports Integra from Steve Frederick's #24 ITA Miata - The in car picks me up right after the wreck. Steve is an awesome driver and great competitor - I look forward to racing him again soon. I almost blow the race on the last lap. Thanks for the vid Steve. Enjoy!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN2Dlb-I_p8[/ame]

Tim Klvana
    203-240-1901

1997 EMRA Vanderbilt Cup TT ST-3 Champion

2002 ITC NERRC Champion
    2003 ITC NARRC Champion
    2005 ITC NARRC Champion
    2008 ITA NJRRS Champion
    2009 Pro ITA Champion
    2011 ITA NJRRS Champion
    2011 ITA NARRC Champion

CPM Motorsports Cars - '87 Civic Si - ITA #11, '86 CRX- ITC #11, '95 Integra - ITA #11
    [email protected]

Carol Miller, "Take A Breath"
    http://www.reverbnation.com/carolmiller

Dan i actually have the video of that. Being right behind you. Yes it was uncalled for. you do not win a race in a qualifying session.
    JB Swan
    IT7 #81

Quote Originally Posted by Raceman77 View Post
    Dan i actually have the video of that. Being right behind you. Yes it was uncalled for. you do not win a race in a qualifying session.
    //

JB, I would be VERY interested in seeing that video. Any chance of a post or sending it to me.
    Thanks
    Dan Deyo
    92 Acura Integra
    ITA #94

Wow, apparently it took me a 10 minute video to catch most of the action from my sm2 qualifying race.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R5PScFXee4&list=UU6-Wpr0PYvfUdC8l_L6IhWg&index=1&feature=plcp[/ame]

Even though I couldn't make a move that would stick, I'm glad they let the last lap go green.

-Vick