Thread: New SCCA Director of Club Racing

Default New SCCA Director of Club Racing

Just got a press release from SCCA - Butch Kummer has been named to the newly created full-time position of Director of Club Racing. Congratulations!
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

Congrats BUTCH!
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

Wow - news from topeka that makes me see things as moving in a positive direction. good, capable guy from all of the interaction and observation I've had, I'm sure he can do a lot for the club at the big level, he's done a damn good job in his local pond.

Congrats Butch! I hope you bring what you have learned and made successfully to the rest of SCCA across the country! Remember the best assets of the club racing division are not the people in the National office, they are the local guys like yourself that have made the regions successful. If we didn't have the local leaders that we do this "club" would fall flat on it's face. IMO SCCA as a national club is a business in a lot of trouble but At the same time as a local club it is a family I could never imagine not being a part of.

I would say best of luck making this a true "national" club if that is your goal but I am not sure what your goals are??? Would you be willing or ready to publically announce your goals for club racing?

Raymond Blethen
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chip42 View Post
    Wow - news from topeka that makes me see things as moving in a positive direction. good, capable guy from all of the interaction and observation I've had, I'm sure he can do a lot for the club at the big level, he's done a damn good job in his local pond.
    Agreed, from what I have seen he has done a great job!!!

Raymond
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Say what you mean, mean what you say, and then go make it happen. That is Butch and club racing is much better because we have him in a position to make some changes.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

Wow - had I known it would be this well received I would have asked for a bigger signing bonus!

I'm not going to pretend I have all the answers, but at least I'm aware of many/most of the issues. I received the basic introduction from Terry last week and I'll be meeting with the Majors Steering Committee next weekend (July 13-15) to further understand their vision, then we'll come up with a plan for the 2013 roll out of the program. I've got my ideas of what I'd like to see, but I need to make sure those jibe with the PTB (like it or not, building consensus - some call it "playing politics" - is part of the job). What I can tell you now, however, is that once we've determined a direction it will be presented in clear, concise terms after which I'll be on here and other forums to solicit input and answer any questions you might have.

I know you've all heard the old saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Some will argue that Club Racing IS broken while others say it's just fine, but neither one matters to me. The question I ask (and which ALL racers ask) is, "Can I make it better?"

When you set a new PR do you stop all development on the car? Hell no. You celebrate the moment, then immediately think about the tenth you could have gained exiting Turn 6, or the two tenths you lost when you overcooked the entry to Turn 10. You try something new and if it works it becomes the norm, and if it doesn't make you faster you can always put the car back the way it was. What I can assure is we won't be afraid to try something new.

BTW - I'll still be a "consultant" to the Atlanta Region race program and I will continue to preach the Gospel According to GTA. I'll be spending a lot of time in KS, but no move is anticipated in the forseeable future.

Thank you for your support...

Butch Kummer
    Director of Club Racing
    Sports Car Club of America

Best news I've heard in years.
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

Great news. Let me know how I can help. Good luck, MM
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

Thanks for stepping up, Butch. We're behind you all the way.
    Art Jaso
    Former 1989 Toyota MR2 #55 ITB
    DC Region SCCA
    DC Region Board of Directors
    Coordinator of Racers Helping Racers Fund
    http://www.racershelpingracers.com/
    PDX/TT Committee Member
    PDX Co-Chief of Grid
    PDX Chief Technical Inspector
    SCCA Pit Marshall
    SCCA Pace Car
    SCCA F & C
    Producer of "Racing Summit Point" Video
    http://vimeo.com/67177646

Congratulations, Butch!
    David Plott
    Atlanta Region #289721
    #54 1973 Datsun 240Z
    Mount Juliet, TN

HA,Butch,
    SCCA could try to get the results posted better on mylaps,IMHO. Look for the results from Roebling Road last month.
    Do a search for Bucaneer region, NA
    search for Roebling road, SCCA
    search SCCA roebling, etc.
    We need a standard name for the mylaps results, IMHO.

I dont know how the Bucaneer region is listed but it doesnt not come up on a simple title search.
    Thanks, MM
    PS if you need any guidelines for the ITcrap can, let me know.
    MM
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

The results from Roebling Road for the LouElla Cook Memorial are on the SEDIV site www.sedivracing.org
    Bob Hudson
    National Steward

I was also able to find them by searching for the organization "SEDiv", then clicking on that entry. The event is conducted by the division, not a single region.

Doesn't mean that we can't do better, but the results ARE posted on MyLaps...
    Butch Kummer
    Former SCCA Director of Club Racing (July 2012 - Sept 2014)
    2006, 2007, 2010 SARRC GTA Champion

Those results were posted in less than 24 hours. I was very impress actually

Now I know the secret password. I check my results, click on search. Hit SCCa, or roevbling road. get nothing. but kart races, Chumpcar, bikes.
    The search engine feeds on race title and organization. It is like free advertising IMHO if your results come up with a simple search, not a search for some obscure race title, or a non defined org. Like SEdiv.
    Not a big deal at all, but just keeps the secret sports car club thing going.
    We have way bigger things to worry about.
    Thanks for the insider pass words.
    MM PS . @ the very least the race title should have the track name, maybe.
    Last edited by Flyinglizard; 07-12-2012 at 09:54 AM.

* I am a big fan of Butch's work. I hope he is successful at the Majors
    * I read the Majors announcement when it came out and a clarification on one of the the boards and both gave me a headache without any idea what the events were and if my racing program classed in or not.

Here's hoping Butch can get the upper hand.

Rob Bodle
    Rob Bodle Images, LLC
    RBI Competition

2007 ARRC Three hour "not a real" Enduro ITO Co-Champion.
    2009 ARRC ITO Champion.
    2009 ARRC Enduro Pole Winner
    2010 ARRC ITO Champion(car owner for Cliff Brown)
    2011 ARRC ITO Champion