Thread: Any Good videos of WGI Long course ?

Default Any Good videos of WGI Long course ?

Hi All

I am going to the July Sprints and need to learn WGI Long Course. Can anyone point me to in car video that I can look at ?

I took the school there last year but that was on the short course.

BTW, only 4 ITA entries so far ? Where is everyone else ?
    Dan...I am so happy to see that you have a car and are entered.

Abhi

Funny - I was thinking this same thing last night. I'm going the Double in mid-September but I don't even know what layout will be used.

K

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gRiNHym1_k[/ame]

This one doesn't end well, but there's lots in advance...

I'm not gonna post the "infamous" one from inside the NX in 2006... You can find it easily if you want.

On edit: I'll have fresh higher-quality ones after this coming weekend's National.
    Last edited by Greg Amy; 07-03-2012 at 09:31 AM.

Abhi - starts great, I end halfway into the race with flat spots yet running mid 2:18's with Frederick.

https://vimeo.com/30493437
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

Here's two. Thanks again for sharing your NHMS video and help at the track Abhi. I'd be glad to help ya at the Glen if I can.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roG2Y8fdXQc[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWJEaDpzov0[/ame]
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Greg, I remember that day - what a rotten hit. Glad you were OK.
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Abhi View Post
    Hi All

I am going to the July Sprints and need to learn WGI Long Course. Can anyone point me to in car video that I can look at ?

I took the school there last year but that was on the short course.

BTW, only 4 ITA entries so far ? Where is everyone else ?
    Dan...I am so happy to see that you have a car and are entered.

Abhi
    I am going to use Denise's car for the Regional, she will race the Pro IT. I still have not found a donor shell for a rebuild.
    Dan Deyo
    92 Acura Integra
    ITA #94

http://player.vimeo.com/video/13632102

One of my best starts.....
    Marc Cefalo
    2002 SM Miata

www.planet-miata.com

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    Funny - I was thinking this same thing last night. I'm going the Double in mid-September but I don't even know what layout will be used.

K
    Assuming you're attending the Fun One to earn IT National Tour points, they run the full course on Saturday and the short (NASCAR) layout on Sunday.
    Butch Kummer
    Former SCCA Director of Club Racing (July 2012 - Sept 2014)
    2006, 2007, 2010 SARRC GTA Champion

^^^What Butch said....^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gRiNHym1_k

This one doesn't end well, but there's lots in advance...
    Did you make contact with the Miata or was it a L.O.T. (Loss of talent)

Abhi

Quote Originally Posted by Abhi View Post
    Did you make contact with the Miata or was it a L.O.T. (Loss of talent)
    Reasonable adults will disagree...but yes, there was contact.

Would love to discuss it over a beer (and have, many times) but here's how I saw it.

I was in second place in the Integra with two ITS RX-7s right on my ass (Matt Rooke, the blue one you see go zipping by, and Wilson Wright, the yellow one) drafting me and trying to find a way around (every time I looked back all I saw was Matt's windshield). Jeff Harding, the leader in another RX-7, was 5+ seconds ahead and had already gone through (editorial: which should have let them know more were to come). It was a case of bad timing on where we caught them, but the two trailing ITB cars either saw me and/or kept their proper line on the track so we could weave through. As I came up on the Spec Miata he was quite a bit offline to the left (you'll note, comparing to prior laps, that I end up pretty much "on the line" going through the right-hand bendy) so I assumed he saw me and would stay wide. It is my opinion in hindsight that he did not see me, that I was lost in his right-hand blind-spot, and that possibly he saw the two guys trailing me. Regardless, he moved right to (my opinion) either take the line back and/or move out of the way of the coming trailing cars, and he caught me a bit off guard.

Once I realized what was happening I lifted for a brief moment to make some space to go around him, but not so much to lose momentum; obviously I misjudged it. I tapped his rear bumper as I moved left and made a mental note to go find him later to apologize. At that moment I experienced what you saw.

There was no known video from trailing cars, but based on the damage on all the cars the Miata must have gotten sideways toward the right, then tank-slapped back to the left and t-boned my Integra directly into the passenger door. I have no clue how he was able to maintain that speed to do that. Regardless, the collision punted him back pointing right where Wilson Wright was going by and Wilson t-boned him in his passenger door. Both cars were totaled. I backed into the left Aarmco, smashing in the rear of the car, then continued to rotate right and put the right side of the car into the Aarmco, totaling the Integra. Fortunately, I managed to steer it while driving backwards to keep the car against the Aarmco so that we didn't collect any more cars.

What you didn't see in the video is that I sat there for at least two more hot laps as cars streamed by. I don't know what WGI was thinking , but it took some time to checker the race and get cars contained. I did drop down my window net and stick a thumbs-up out the window to keep any workers from trying to go across the track to check my condition.

I got my bell rung pretty good, so I asked to be taken to Medical for eval, all checked out OK (well, at least no worse than I was before).

I found all the players after getting out of Medical. Matt came out unscathed (actually finished the race P2) and Wilson said "it was just one of those things". The Miata driver was still talking to stewards when I met him, and I apologized to him with the proviso that "I'm not sure what happened either, but it's the passing driver's responsibility" and made no excuses. He was still looking kinda loopy at the time, saying he 'had no idea what happened' but we apparently parted on reasonable terms; or so I thought: it still gets back to me once in a while through the grapevine that "that guy really hates you".

Whatever.

Just one of those things...? As I said, reasonable people disagree. - GA
    Last edited by Greg Amy; 07-05-2012 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Typos

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Kummer View Post
    Assuming you're attending the Fun One to earn IT National Tour points, they run the full course on Saturday and the short (NASCAR) layout on Sunday.
    I am indeed. I need to sort out the differences, looks like...

Don't hesitate to share your secrets, Gran/tGA/et al.

K

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    Don't hesitate to share your secrets, Gran/tGA/et al.
    Go fast. Turn right. Er, left. Er, whatever. Having a Miata helps. - GA

(Come drive over, Prof. Will be there tomorrow night through Sunday AM. Can put you on crew list.)