Thread: 2000 Civic Si Front Sway Bar

Default 2000 Civic Si Front Sway Bar

A little help here. I've read so many different threads about so many different things, I can't remember what's real or even consensus.

I am sure that I read an opinion that disconnecting the front sway bar on a particular Honda/Acura (think it was an Integra) would lead to damaged axles. Of course, with the variety of Honda/Acura suspension designs, I can't recall if it would apply to the Double A-Arm 2000 Civic Si.

Can someone please clarify this for me. The general consensus on Honda/Acura setup is no front bar, but I would hate to have one of the exceptions that leads to broken parts.

Thanks,
    Rory

I have never run a front bar on the 1995 Acura Integra. No axle probs.

Having a civic si bar on my teg, what's the wisdom of disconnecting it? Are you thinking about compensating with more front spring?

Keeping the front paws on the ground, working to maximize rear roll weight transfer.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Keeping the front paws on the ground, working to maximize rear roll weight transfer.
    ^ true. I also do not use a front bar on my EG with no axle problems plus I don't cook my front tires as quickly... It takes only a little to get used to and once you make the change, there's no going back.
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

The Si sway bar is a REALLY thick front bar, its 26mm. If you are concerned with completely removing your sway bar you could install a 22mm front sway bar (%50 less tiff than the Si bar) from the 96-00 EX\LX Civic. If you like where that takes you than remove the bar altogether. I'll have to warn you though, you will have to do some work to get the EX/LX links to work. The Si and the EX/LX use different link types and the lower control arm sway bar link mounts are different.

Greg/Mossaidis - What would you sat the difference being without a bar? Better rotation? Back end steps out easier? If you did this, would you compensate with stiffer front springs?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Roth View Post
    Greg/Mossaidis - What would you sat the difference being without a bar? Better rotation? Back end steps out easier? If you did this, would you compensate with stiffer front springs?
    Bob, I noticed that with a front bar I had snappier turn-in but it hurt the car on mid-corner balance and corner-out grip. I compensate for that with a tad more front compression on the shocks. This way I get the benefits on corner entry but none of the downsides mid and exit. - GA

Sounds pretty reasonable, I'll give it a shot....I run about a 16th out front, straight in the rear. How about you?

Greg, I am sure this was implied, but you know about assuming. That year Teg is the double A arm, yes?

Thanks for all the info everyone. I thought about a smaller bar but I would like to lose the weight if possible. Also, the car is currently without an LSD so lots of front roll stiffness may not be my friend.

Once I get the shocks/springs on it I will remove the front bar and learn to tune and drive it that way.

Rory

Bob, that sounds pretty close, about a 16th out in front and maybe a scooch out in the rear? I'm running sphericals up front.

Rory, the Teg is double a-arms.