Thread: 99 Suburban Vibration/Driveshaft

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 99 Suburban Vibration/Driveshaft

My 99 K1500 Burb has suddenly got a driveline vibration. It is worst right around 45 mph. A quick inspection revealed that the front U-joint has a little play in it, but I wonder if that is the culprit because the vibration came on very suddenly. One time I used it and didn't notice anything, the next time it was really bad.

I wonder if it lost a weight. I am going to post a picture of a bare spot on the driveshaft. It looks too big to be a weight, more like a label. Any opinions?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sure looks like where the label came off to me, the weight is to the left it appears. Good luck on isolating the issue. Have you looked at the tires for a cord separation? Could cause the same symptoms and come on suddenly as well.
    Paul Ballance
    Tennessee Valley Region (yeah it's in Alabama)
    ITS '72
    1972 240Z
    "Experience is what you get when you're expecting something else." unknown

Just to close this out. U joints were a little tired so I replaces them but still had the vibration. Looking closely I thought one of the rear tires looked a little odd. Trip to the tire shop revealed I was right. One of them had delaminated.

I am actually glad. The alternative looked like some potentially expensive transfer case work.

Ironically, a historical search will yield a thread a few years ago where I had a vibration on my SSC Civic that turned out to be a delaminated tire.

At least I found the failing u joints before they were a real problem. Balanced all the tires and now it's smooth like butter (with spare until I get the other replaced)