Quote Originally Posted by Spinnetti View Post
... I want to come back to the SCCA, but in a way that isn't going to waste all my free time and cost me a fortune every other season in belts, window nets, personal gear, hans, physicals ad nuseaum only to drive a car I couldn't build how I wanted.

Car prep time is the same for any form of racing and will vary on the car you pick. My car requires almost 0 maintenance (Honda!). If you want to run an enduro series - you may be where you should be. SCCA doesn't have (in my area) many enduro races. And for the "cost me a fortune" - I think you've been miss-informed. Belts are good until Dec. of the expiration year so you get 3 years out of belts. (and they cost around $100 - so $33/yr for belts) Window nets don't expire. Helmets are every 10 years. The other personal gear is "replace as you need based on condition/use". The H&N device purchase is a one time thing too. And the Physical - Really?? You should be getting one of these every few years anyway - just take the form in and have them fill it out during that exam.

... My $3k a race is 4 tires, front and rear pads, engine and tranny fluid change, rotors every few events, race car fuel and tow fuel...

Wow! That is a big number for a race weekend (imho). Is that for Chump or SCCA?

... All good things will come to an end, but right now, the Lemons ride is good.... SCCA leadership needs to figure out how to be more inclusive and lower cost if they want this market... when Lemons burns out (I think Chump will die off much faster as its closer to the SCCA), then something else will arise... its kinda like the birth and decay of nations or big corporations... the younger more agile will get the business unless the "old guard" finds ways to stay fresh...

I guess if the goal is to go out and have fun on the cheap - this logic works. As stated before, as soon as someone willing to spend some 'real' money shows up, all the $500 front running cars are now worth about $250 in scrap. NASA has a 'more inclusive' business model. Bring them cars and they will make room for you! Of course, once your car counts fall off or someone else comes along with a better deal - you're out. Having rules around classes provides an opportunity to 'know what you're up against' and make choices along the way to get out of it what you're looking for.

I'm here to have FUN and enjoy a great weekend of racing with friends/family 5-6 times a year. I put in very little effort to car prep and even less to driver training! I spend way less time AND money than most and have MORE fun. To do that, I race a Honda in ITA. Car is very easy on parts and easy to drive. It gets parked in November and sits on the race rubber in the garage until May when I push the button (starts right up) and take it to the track. That first trip is probably 2 hours of car prep from nut/bolt check to fluid change to spray wax. Then for the rest of the season, I spend about 1 hour of prep time before every weekend to get the car ready to go. I'm not spending anywhere near $3k a race (way closer to $700-1k if you count all costs) to run towards the front of ITA.

Maybe things are different in the areas you guys/girls are in. SCCA around here is strong and hands down the BEST place to be for club racing. I've said it before and will say it again - SCCA is the ONLY club I'll run with for several reasons and I'm happy to discuss those reasons over beers!