Thread: 1st Gen Guys...What Oil Cooler?

Default 1st Gen Guys...What Oil Cooler?

I'm looking to dump the factory oil cooler and get something that cools a little better, races in the SE can be quite hot.

What cooler setup is popular?

Does anyone run a 2nd gen oil cooler on their race car and if so does it work well in race conditions? Or is there something better?

Quote Originally Posted by Simon T. View Post
    I'm looking to dump the factory oil cooler and get something that cools a little better, races in the SE can be quite hot.

What cooler setup is popular?

Does anyone run a 2nd gen oil cooler on their race car and if so does it work well in race conditions? Or is there something better?
    Last time I talked to Dave Lemon at Mazdatrix, his opinion was that the Mazda factory cooler was the best choice. The SE version or the 2nd gen have an additional row compared to the 12a version on the 1st gen. The issue with the 2nd gen unit is that the connectors come out at different angles compared to the 1st gen cooler. It can be made to work but it isn't a direct replacement. That makes the 1st gen SE cooler the best choice if you can find one. This is what I run here in S. Cal. Temps of 100+ are routine here.
    Never underestimate a man that owns a Sawzall and a welder.

Quote Originally Posted by joeracerx95 View Post
    Last time I talked to Dave Lemon at Mazdatrix, his opinion was that the Mazda factory cooler was the best choice. The SE version or the 2nd gen have an additional row compared to the 12a version on the 1st gen. The issue with the 2nd gen unit is that the connectors come out at different angles compared to the 1st gen cooler. It can be made to work but it isn't a direct replacement. That makes the 1st gen SE cooler the best choice if you can find one. This is what I run here in S. Cal. Temps of 100+ are routine here.
    Cool I'll try to track one down for sale. I'm guessing these are from later models of the 1st generation? I have the "beehive" type cooler on mine which I read it pretty useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon T. View Post
    Cool I'll try to track one down for sale. I'm guessing these are from later models of the 1st generation? I have the "beehive" type cooler on mine which I read it pretty useless.
    Yes, the larger cooler was used on the SE model which had the 13B motor. Sometimes you can find one in the junk yard. I haven't checked but Mazda Motorsport and Mazdatrix probably have these but they're going to cost a lot (~$500).
    Never underestimate a man that owns a Sawzall and a welder.

also check with mike @ I S C racing , i think he still offers one modeled after the 2nd gen oil cooler . ralph

Budget solution:

Do some custom ducting to your current set up. Decide if you need more cooling.

If you do, be VERY careful of used units. Make sure you get it flushed WELL. An old school SpeedSource solution was two 2nd gen units in line. We have found a single nicely sized unit is better but cost is up there.

Good luck!
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967