Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
Where in the FSM - our "bible" for technical reference - is the location of the engine specified? And if it's there, can that be easily measured at the track with basic tools, or do we have to bring it to a frame machine?

Show me, because an unenforceable limit is not a limit (see "tech shed legal").
it's not. but neither are alot of things that are still enforcable. enforcement DOESN'T HAVE TO BE done at the track. it's not preferred but if you make the rule you have specified that the intent is to position the motor as it was from the factory, should it have been fitted in that car. not shifted this way and that for optimum driveline alignment at lower than stock ride height, weight balance, etc...

if you don't put some rules in place, you could eventually wind up with somethign like a road-race super modfied. who here wouldn't like something like a miata with the engine 2" to the right? or 4" to the right and rotated 60° with a trick sump on it. and before you answer, think of the seating position you could achieve with that setup. your rules are headed that way. once someone does it you either say "yup, that's cool" and start an arms race that ends in the obsolesence of the category, or you reign it back in and piss of that builder. fix it now and you don't have either of those unwanted outcomes AND you confine the class to a set of predetermined ideals. don't let the momentum take this class to "it has to look like a car and have an engine in it" status. you think it's hard to enforce stuff now, but eventually there will be no need for an FSM, much less a rule book.

I still can't understand how one category could allow VW motors mounted in porsches and at whatever orientation and position they want but mandate that it run the engine's original (or the chassis! WTF??) intake manifold and be worried about what is and isnt' stock. might as well be custom engines from the block up with cam and CR limits and weight by displacement. at least that's transparent, the rest of the setup is just a recipe for craziness, and no I don't think it's the good kind of crazy. I really think that unless you guys get a hold of the category you are going to drown it in unintedned consequences.