Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IT only single class groups, Would you?

Default IT only single class groups, Would you?

If an event was to be held at Texas World Speedway in one of the cooler months of the year (Oct, Nov, Dec) that was a double restricted regional where ITR, ITS, ITA, ITB, ITC each had their own run group would you make the tow and participate?

The rules for ITE from region to region are not consistent enough to allow a fair level of competitiveness in that class but I can fit 6 groups in the schedule to include that class if desired.

I would need at least 150 cars at $450 per entry to make it work.

Comments, ya or nay.
    Jerry

Lone Star Regional Executive
    Lone Star Tech Chief.

A race at Circuit of the Americas would be worth the drive to Texas, but not a roval.
    Derek

If it was at the f1 track and within a week of f1 I sure as hell would make the trip!!

Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by StarStripes00 View Post
    A race at Circuit of the Americas would be worth the drive to Texas, but not a roval.
    Don't think I would classify TWS as a " typical roval " , it's a wonderful high speed track

If my car is IT compliant , I'll be there.

i would not go. but it sounds like a good time.

my rational is rather simple. i am in michigan. if i make a major tow this fall, it will be to the ARRC where we get IT centric races even if not a single run group (e.g., ITB with ITC).

and the $450 seems high to me. that should type of pricing should cover the ARRC and a track practice day or an extra entry in the PRO IT race, etc.
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

Quote Originally Posted by jhooten View Post
    I would need at least 150 cars at $450 per entry to make it work.
    If you can get 149 other IT cars to show up at TWS, I will buy an IT car just for the event to make it 150. The ONLY way there is even a slight chance of that many making the trek to TX would be Circuit of The Americas.
    Mark B. - Dallas, TX
    #76 RX-7 2nd Gen
    SCCA EP
    Former ITS, ITE, NASA PT

Circus of the Americas simply is not going to happen in 2012/3.

The $450 would be for a three day event. Friday a sanctioned practice day, and qualifying in the morning, racing in the afternoon on Saturday and Sunday. Including the usual Lone Star Region Saturday evening participant party, of course.

Mark,
    It it gets to 148 I'll by one just so you have to.
    Last edited by jhooten; 05-28-2012 at 07:39 PM.
    Jerry

Lone Star Tech Chief.

Jerry, If I can run my STU car in ITE, I'll come out to support the club. even if it's for non-points--- I just like to play in traffic.

I also liked the format of the Majors event they did at TMS. Friday practice, Sat qual and race, then Sun 'qualifying race' that finishing positions set grid for Sunday's race. Each session fed off the last, so you had to actually put the car on track for a while and not just throw down two hot laps and go back to your air-conditioned RV for four hours..
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

Well it looks like the out of division support that would be needed to make this work is just not there. SO, the motion it tabled. I'll give it another look when COTA becomes available.

Matt, if it happens you are more than welcome to run ITE. Just so you will know I was planning on putting the STO/AS Camaro in ITE for the event. Wait, what is the max engine size for ITE in SOWDIV?
    Jerry

Lone Star Tech Chief.

Quote Originally Posted by jhooten View Post
    Matt, if it happens you are more than welcome to run ITE. Just so you will know I was planning on putting the STO/AS Camaro in ITE for the event. Wait, what is the max engine size for ITE in SOWDIV?
    I'm not real sure.
    I've seen RX7s, Vipers, Porsche GT3 Cup, and Grand Am BMWs in ITE-- and that was just last weekend and the fall enduro.

bascially, it's "anything goes as long as it's got a cage in it."
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

Quote Originally Posted by Matt93SE View Post
    bascially, it's "anything goes as long as it's got a cage in it."
    I don't think anyone real cares what you run in ITE here. There's some rules but they haven't been updated in 4 years on the website.

http://www.sowdivscca.org/rules.aspx

Improved Touring E (ITE)
    Cars eligible for ITE are production based cars with fenders and doors that are not currently eligible for any other SCCA club racing class. Cars entered in ITE must meet minimum safety standards of the 2008 GCR and Improved Touring Category Specifications, ITCS, including all items in Section 9.1.3, ITCS. Suitability of any car for ITE is subject to the approval of the Chief Steward and Chief Scrutineer.

The maximum engine displacement for normally aspirated cars is 3,500 cc. Turbo-Charging or Super-Charging is allowed with a maximum displacement of 2,500 cc. Rotary engines are limited to two (2) rotors.
    Mark B. - Dallas, TX
    #76 RX-7 2nd Gen
    SCCA EP
    Former ITS, ITE, NASA PT

Jerry: Sidney Davis mentioned to me that the enduro wasn't going to happen this year in November due to the F1 conflict. That's a shame- I was hoping that the event would pick up steam again- I remember some years of 60+ cars with lots of IT entries. What's Lone Star's level of engagement with COTA for a future event?

Pete

We have had meetings to introduce ourselves to the staff. Terry Ozment and some other SCCA staff were in Austin a couple weeks ago to meet with COTA management and gave them our contact information. We have requested available track dates for next year to allow for us to set dates at the divisional scheduling meeting in July and have yet to receive a reply.

Not only was there a conflict with USGP that caused problems with the enduro, it is not easy to get the track in College Station when there is no Aggie home sporting events scheduled. If A&M is having a football game, basketball game, swim meet, or kite flying contest there are no hotel rooms available within 50 miles.
    Last edited by jhooten; 05-31-2012 at 11:15 PM.
    Jerry

Lone Star Tech Chief.

What Jerry said. I missed the last enduro due to my codrivers backing out at the last minute, and was saddened to hear this year's enduro was cancelled before it even took flight.

Jerry, what about picking another date for the enduro, say March or April? it's warm enough but not HOT (like May!)
    I know that's Syd's area, but if Hou region isn't going to do it, what about LSR doing it in their stead?

Then again, the enduro is often a huge money pit.... especially with the low turnout they had last year. the other side of that was they didn't have the enduro for several years previously and I think the SCCA enduro participation has waned because of lack of opportunity for SCCA drivers to race in SCCA, and the proliferation of crapcan races. Maybe if we hold regular enduros again, the drivers will come back??? But who's going to put their money in the pot hoping it happens?
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

The last, dare I use the word, successful enduro ended up being a shoot out between SRF an SM. For now the enduro ball is in the divisions court. SOWDIV has limited sources of income. They said they wanted to host a race themselves so they could reap the rewards and thought the enduro would be the best one for them to do. Syd and I both thought better them than us and said sure, have at it. They have some ideas for some side attractions and add ons to attract more than just the enduro teams. Some of them sound interesting but I'm not sure they are ready for them to be leaked yet. Personally I would like to see the division pull together to make it work and be a great success.
    Jerry

Lone Star Tech Chief.

the 2.9 at tws is a great enduro track. very easy on equipment. everybody who hasn't been there- take a look at some videos. only 2-3 hard braking areas (can you imagine the carnage of an enduro at Hallett- great track but not enduro friendly). The Sm/SRF shootout a couple of years back really boiled down to strategy for the sm guys. How about an enduro at COTA? I am imagining taking out a loan for the entry fee $$$$$.

The division scheduling meeting for 2013 races is July 14th. Should know more about the enduro after the meeting. It would be nice to hear something from COTA about the rental cost and available dates before then.
    Jerry

Lone Star Tech Chief.

Quote Originally Posted by pavis View Post
    the 2.9 at tws is a great enduro track. very easy on equipment. everybody who hasn't been there- take a look at some videos. only 2-3 hard braking areas (can you imagine the carnage of an enduro at Hallett- great track but not enduro friendly). The Sm/SRF shootout a couple of years back really boiled down to strategy for the sm guys. How about an enduro at COTA? I am imagining taking out a loan for the entry fee $$$$$.
    Do you have the Stones to take 12 flat out? How about 9? Or 1 for that matter?
    Braking 3, 10, 13

Hang to the outside in 4 (if you can) to pass in 5.
    You can pass in 3.
    If you cannot pass in 1 you just need to stay home.

Yeah, we like out track. As run down and shabby as it is you can still have some good hard racing. There in plenty of run off room most places. Deep canyons in a couple places. One or two places where you can screw up and hit something hard, but you have to try really intensely to do it. And when it is wet DO NOT go wide leaving out of 6. You will slide down the slope on the wet grass, under the barbed wire fence (a real bitch in an open topped car) and end up about I45 before you come to complete stop.

Did I forget anything?
    Last edited by jhooten; 06-02-2012 at 10:22 AM.
    Jerry

Lone Star Tech Chief.

Here's another one Jerry ... Do you have the stones to take 7 flat ? ... Took me awhile to do that , but the real danger in a tight pack is lifting and getting run over

I had 7 on the list at first but I didn't think anybody would believe me. On fresh tires yes. Once they had a few dozen heat cycles and turned hard just the wee slightest lift was required.

BUT, soon I will have to completely relearn the track. I'm going from a 2750# car with 200 HP on 7" wide tires to a 3000# car with about 375 HP on 9+" tires. Going to be like starting all over with a novice permit.
    Jerry

Lone Star Tech Chief.