Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NHMS, day one

Quote Originally Posted by StephenB View Post
    Well that didn't really happen and instead I got a nice ambulance ride and someone else took my car back for me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JonOgVC--7Y

At least I still have a fan club that doesn't seem to care that I didn't finish!
    Stephen

That really, REALLY sucks!!!! I was VERY sorry to hear about it. I know how much time, money and effort you've put into it..............
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Wow that sucks big time.

What a rough weekend for you Stephen. I know how heart breaking it can be but especially when you pulled off to the side. Just glad you are okay physically!!! Stopped by medical and Ray just said you were really, really pissed.

The third race became interesting when a EP ? decided to brake late into turn three, capture the rear end of Mark Gregory's Miata, and I found myself facing head to head with the car. Lucky I didn't hit him. Of course video memory card became full a couple of laps before then. Happy NHMS is behind me.
    Last edited by gran racing; 05-29-2012 at 08:30 AM.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

How'd the VW end up out there? Target fixation?

Yup. His first race. I remember thinking release the brakes, release the brakes, is this really happening! I can honestly say he was very sorry and felt terrible. Naturally I was upset but after talking to him I can't say anything negative about his character. A really nice guy that was renting a car and wanted to have fun with us.

Stephen

Stephen:

Wow, that's terrible. You were WAY off. With all the effort put into the car and now this.

Hope the repairs go smoothly.
    Rob Foley
    Race: ITB '87 CRX Si
    Autocross: GP '86 Civic Si

A valuable lesson for others too... go way, way, way off behind a wall or somewhere totally protected. Get out of the car, watch the race with the corner workers. Although when I've done this I'm pretty grumpy.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Stephen, I'm glad both of you were okay, and I feel really bad for both of you too. What a sucky thing to have happen.
    For the other driver, (whose name escapes me) I do hope he doesn't give up after this. Shit happens. And I know he felt horrible having that happen his very first race. It's got to shake your confidence, plus now having what looked like a major crash damage bill added to his race weekend, well....damn. It certainly wasn't intentional.
    Hoping that you can maybe simply pull the frame, and get back sooner than later. If there's anything any of us can do to help, just ask. Oh, and if you haven't done so already, I wouldn't hesitate to talk to John Weisberg too. He may have some parts, and if nothing else, he sure has practical experience with the '8's and straightening stuff back out.
    Stephanie Funk
    <Couple of NARRC and NERRC bragging things here>
    HP Honda CRX in progress, ITB Honda Civic, ITA Honda CRX, ITC Honda CRX
    "Green Booger Racing"

here are videos from Saturday's ITS and STL races:

https://vimeo.com/lawtonglenn/videos

best
    Glenn

Glenn Lawton
    GSMmotorsports
    #14 ITS RX7
    NARRC ITS Champion 2012
    NERRC ITS Champion 2013 12 11 10 09 08
    NERRC STU Champion 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    Great weekend with great folks! Good to see everyone after a year off the track and over 2 years away from NHMS. Hate to see good cars driven by good folks get wrecked.

See you at the NARRC Runoffs!
    NARRC Offs!!! WTF!!!! Didja blow-up another motor?
    Ed Funk
    NER ITA CRX, ITB Civic, ITC CRX (wanna buy a Honda?)
    Smart as a horse, hung like Einstein!

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Funk View Post
    NARRC Offs!!! WTF!!!! Didja blow-up another motor?
    Nope. Don't have the time or the money to throw around at this like I used to. Little League baseball is all-consuming these days...in a good way. Trying to do a trade with a customer, mine for his straight up and then do a slow ITS Miata build.
    Last edited by Andy Bettencourt; 05-29-2012 at 04:58 PM.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Finally joining the big leagues.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    Finally joining the big leagues.
    I was in the big leagues and then was 'sent down', LOL. I was one of the first in the ITA car and we don't have any ITS Miata up here yet. I like being a little different but not like you crackers...unless this C4 pans out....then I'll have you guys make the power sauce.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Kip proved what you can do with the ITS Miata. THey can make good power.

Whole ITS dynamic is changing although people don't realize it. RX7 is still a great car but development is stagnant. On the other hand, people are improving the power to weight on the Nissan L motor, the GSR, my car, the Earpstang, the E30 and working on handling, etc.

We are slowly getting to the point where ITS is catching up to where the unrestricted E36 "was" back in 2004.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    A valuable lesson for others too... go way, way, way off behind a wall or somewhere totally protected. Get out of the car, watch the race with the corner workers. Although when I've done this I'm pretty grumpy.
    I totally agree! Although I thought I was in a safe area well of the track and most likely covered by a yellow in reality anything can happen. I have raced at NHMS hundreds of times and rarely witnessed a car off track here especially when covered by a yellow BUT you never know. After 13 years I was reminded of something I was told a long time ago... go behind a corner station to be safe! I will NEVER make this mistake again.

Quote Originally Posted by StephF View Post
    Stephen, I'm glad both of you were okay, and I feel really bad for both of you too. What a sucky thing to have happen.
    For the other driver, (whose name escapes me) I do hope he doesn't give up after this. Shit happens. And I know he felt horrible having that happen his very first race. It's got to shake your confidence, plus now having what looked like a major crash damage bill added to his race weekend, well....damn. It certainly wasn't intentional. .
    He was really really upset about it and I personally told him not to give up and to come back. I told him I wouldn't hesitate running with him again. He is the type of Racer we at SCCA are looking for. Enthusiastic, friendly and LEARNING. We are not profesionals and unfourtunatly we have almost all had a bad learning experience along the way. I just happen to be in the wrong spot at the wrong time. I will be honest that I was completly pissed at first until I met him, and instantly could tell he was someone we all would like to race with and have at the track.
    On a side note I thought the cheif steward did exactly what he should have. noted the incident, spoke to the driver sternly, spoke about our regions "red book", and made sure that the two of us had time to talk about things. I really don't think it could have gone any better from the point of view of the officials and me.

Quote Originally Posted by StephF View Post
    Hoping that you can maybe simply pull the frame, and get back sooner than later. If there's anything any of us can do to help, just ask. Oh, and if you haven't done so already, I wouldn't hesitate to talk to John Weisberg too. He may have some parts, and if nothing else, he sure has practical experience with the '8's and straightening stuff back out.
    I purchased every last piece from John when he wrecked his. When I say everything I mean everything... even partially worn brake pads. He is totally a porsche guy now!

I have had a ton of kind e-mails and offers to help find someone to pull it. I am going to go to Mike Lavigne who races in AS and is a good friend of my fathers. He is local and does amazing work. I feel confident the car will be fixed and you will not be able to even tell anything ever happened. I do need to save up for parts so I am skipping June and July races to stay within my racing budget with the wife. I promissed NEVER to charge or go into debt on anything for racing. See you all in August if all goes well!

On another note I hope Mr Deyo is doing well. His hit was terrible and worse than mine. I really hope he gets things figured out so he can get back out on track. Does anyone know if he can clip the front rather than swapping cages?

Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    I was in the big leagues and then was 'sent down', LOL. I was one of the first in the ITA car and we don't have any ITS Miata up here yet. I like being a little different but not like you crackers...unless this C4 pans out....then I'll have you guys make the power sauce.
    Andy, what did you get for lap times this weekend? You may already be competitive with your car for ITS and close in ITR...

We did have a few ITS cars in our group but I don't think they are built to ITS rules, not really sure though. I know a few of them where quick in a straight line!

Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by StephenB View Post
    I totally agree! Although I thought I was in a safe area well of the track and most likely covered by a yellow in reality anything can happen. I have raced at NHMS hundreds of times and rarely witnessed a car off track here especially when covered by a yellow BUT you never know. After 13 years I was reminded of something I was told a long time ago... go behind a corner station to be safe! I will NEVER make this mistake again.

He was really really upset about it and I personally told him not to give up and to come back. I told him I wouldn't hesitate running with him again. He is the type of Racer we at SCCA are looking for. Enthusiastic, friendly and LEARNING. We are not profesionals and unfourtunatly we have almost all had a bad learning experience along the way. I just happen to be in the wrong spot at the wrong time. I will be honest that I was completly pissed at first until I met him, and instantly could tell he was someone we all would like to race with and have at the track.
    On a side note I thought the cheif steward did exactly what he should have. noted the incident, spoke to the driver sternly, spoke about our regions "red book", and made sure that the two of us had time to talk about things. I really don't think it could have gone any better from the point of view of the officials and me.

I purchased every last piece from John when he wrecked his. When I say everything I mean everything... even partially worn brake pads. He is totally a porsche guy now!

I have had a ton of kind e-mails and offers to help find someone to pull it. I am going to go to Mike Lavigne who races in AS and is a good friend of my fathers. He is local and does amazing work. I feel confident the car will be fixed and you will not be able to even tell anything ever happened. I do need to save up for parts so I am skipping June and July races to stay within my racing budget with the wife. I promissed NEVER to charge or go into debt on anything for racing. See you all in August if all goes well!

On another note I hope Mr Deyo is doing well. His hit was terrible and worse than mine. I really hope he gets things figured out so he can get back out on track. Does anyone know if he can clip the front rather than swapping cages?

Stephen
    Stephen,
    Thanks for that concern, it really shows what our area has when it comes to racers.
    We all care about each other and try our best to help. Even after they are having major issues of their own, really, good luck with your car.
    My car is toast, everything forward of the engine is smashed. Right side is pushed back so much the roof is 3 inches higher than the cage. The body is bent at and behind the firewall so there is too much damage to repair. The steering column and steering wheel were pushed back far enough so that I bent the steering wheel on the left side into the dash. I think it will be easier( cheaper ), to swap to another shell. There is a bright side, engine runs strong, front struts are still good, cage is good so the most expensive parts are OK.
    I also plan on trynig to make it back on track in August.
    Again thanks for the concern and good luck to you!!
    Dan
    Dan Deyo
    92 Acura Integra
    ITA #94

Quote Originally Posted by wepsbee View Post
    I think it will be easier( cheaper ), to swap to another shell.
    Sorry to hear about that, Dan.

If in your searches you come across an Integra GS-R of the same vintage (DA) and at a good price (but they're very rare) I'll buy the engine from you.

Greg

Here's my video from race #3 on Sunday afternoon. I started 11th and made it up to 6th by turn 3 on the first lap. I admit I was full on the gas by time the green flew. I got REAL lucky with the timing. Please pardon the language at the end...... I didn't put the whole race on here. Only to the point where I fall to DFL.........

https://vimeo.com/43114465

I apparently I am an idiot when it comes to video. Not sure why this comes out so crappy. The output from my camera to my computer or TV is great. When it's in Movie Maker it's still decent but when I save it to Windows Video File it gets crappy..... REALLY crappy.......
    Last edited by JLawton; 05-30-2012 at 12:30 PM.
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Quote Originally Posted by JLawton View Post
    Here's my video from race #3 on Sunday afternoon. I started 11th and made it up to 6th by turn 3 on the first lap. I admit I was full on the gas by time the green flew. I got REAL lucky with the timing. Please pardon the language at the end...... I didn't put the whole race on here. Only to the point where I fall to DFL.........

https://vimeo.com/43114465

I apparently I am an idiot when it comes to video. Not sure why this comes out so crappy. The output from my camera to my computer or TV is great. When it's in Movie Maker it's still decent but when I save it to Windows Video File it gets crappy..... REALLY crappy.......
    Must be nice to never have to shift during the lap! Do you need a lower gear to avoid over slowing in the bowl as you run out of revs?
    Jeremy Billiel