Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Car For ITA?

Cosworth Vega FTW.
    Matt Green

ITAC Member- 2012-??
    Tire Shaver at TreadZone- www.treadzone.com
    #96 Dodge Shelby Charger ITB- Mine, mine, all mine!
    I was around when they actually improved Improved Touring! (and now I'm trying not to mess it up!)

If I was going to build an ITA it would, and I know this is crazy, be one of the 3.8 GM cars -- the Ols, the Pontiac or the Buick.

You could get a five speed on those cars and the suspension is not terrible. I think they had drum brakes though and a carb though. Still, that motor will make power.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

what, no TR6?

I'm just crazy, not pyschotic/certifiable.

I remember when someone asked to class that car. Given what it took for the Prod guys to get theirs to race -- moving suspension points, motor work, etc. -- I just laughed.

No....freaking....way.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    If I was going to build an ITA it would, and I know this is crazy, be one of the 3.8 GM cars -- the Ols, the Pontiac or the Buick.

You could get a five speed on those cars and the suspension is not terrible. I think they had drum brakes though and a carb though. Still, that motor will make power.

My Dad had a ITA 3.8 Skyhawk/monza years ago here in the SE, back in the early 90s he would be on the front row at Roebling almost everytime. The car was fast, fast, fast........ problem was you couldnt stop, well you could once, then the brakes were gone. Tiny vented front rotors rear drums.......... the 5 speeds were the old small boxes, they wouldnt stay together, he probababy went through 3-4 a year. The only one that would last was the ultra heavy 4 speed. Oh, did I mention those v-6s were the old design in which the oil galleys went all the way around the block before they got to the journals. And if thats not enough for you, the car was just too darn heavy. Racing a car thats 2800 lbs, just isnt very fun, especially when you go to pay for tires.

The cars were really popular out on the west coast in ITA, but there were only 2 or 3 around here built. I am sure with the larger tire rule and better brake pads available now, it might help. But what would be the point??
    Derek Ketchie SEDiv

Point would be winning? lol

My car races at 2685 and has more power and smaller NON-vented brakes.

You duct the Monza up and go with the new pad compounds and fluids and I bet the brakes last just fine.

Same with the new tire compounds. 2800 isn't as heavy as you think; the 240s are over 2600 lbs, etc.

I think a "modern" build on this car could be a winner.

Did they ever come with FI?
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Asking which car would be best for ITA is like which girl would be best for... well anyway, they'll all work it's just a matter of what you like. The rules have made all the cars relatively equal for the most part as there are cars that excel in one area but are a lacking in another. You need to know what your rationale is for picking a car. Personal choice, what the internet said, what you read in Grassroots all need to be considered along with the financial end of things. How fast you want to get on the track and what kind of support you can receive throughout the racing season.

If something breaks at the track consider what other cars might be at the track that might loan/rent/sell you a trans or fender etc. Some of the older hard to find cars would make this, in my opinion, harder to do.

Some people like to get unique car that present a challenge to them to make them work. Others just want to get in and drive. While building a Monza, finding a good donor may present a challenge in itself. On the other hand, you could drop a cage and some shocks/springs/sways in a bone stock Miata and have a fairly capable ITA car that can be a building block as you and your skills develop. There's no digs at anyone at what they drive, I'm just presenting the easy button. IF I didn't buy an old spec Miata, I would've bought looked for a BMW E30. Option C would have been a CRX/Integra.

It all a matter of personal choice and economics as to what is the best ITA car to drive. I say Miata, others may have different opinions and all are valid considering the equality among the class.

Good luck
    John W8

CSP10 Miata
    ITA50 Miata

1990 Audi Coupe Quattro 20V!!!

Want to build one? I have two cars (one runs when it wants one does not run). Both are good donor cars. $2,500 cash and they are both yours!

For real though, 172hp (a bit heavy), well balanced, tons of torque, and AWD... I think it would be a fun ITA car, wish I could afford to build it!

Raymond
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

Yeah, let me get that straight, I had NOTHING to do with the building of the Saturn!!

I would come off the track, tell someone (Kessler) far smarter than me what the car was doing and he would make changes....... rinse and repeat for five years........

I've always said, winning isn't just about having the fastest car and isn't about having the most talent. It's about the whole program. (and when I say "winning", I mean winning the ARRC, IT Fest, SARRC, NARRC championships, etc)

It's car prep, tire management, dydno tuning (over and over), testing (over and over), PM, set-up, replacing parts before they break, measuring where a 1/4 inch isn't "close enough", paying attention to EVERY little detail, traffic management, support at the track............ and luck. I found the harder I worked, the luckier I got............

There is no "Easy Button" for winning.

(although the Miata comes pretty damn close!! )

Last edited by JLawton; 05-22-2012 at 09:46 AM.
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Quote Originally Posted by Chip42 View Post
    what, no TR6?
    Back in the early days of IT (1984-1986) there was competitor out here in the San Francisco region who raced a Chevy Monza with a 3.8. That car was very quick then and would still be quick by today's standards. Unfortunately most of those cars have now been crushed.

Darryl

Quote Originally Posted by JLawton View Post

There is no "Easy Button" for winning.

(although the Miata comes pretty damn close!! )

Let me know when you are going to press the easy button on your Miata so I can be ready.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    Let me know when you are going to press the easy button on your Miata so I can be ready.
    I think he was pressin' on it a couple weekends ago at LRP... I'm guessing we might see him pressin' it again at Watkins Glen in July and September, and/or NHMS in August and September, and of course back at LRP in September.

How many times you gonna be pressin' it...?

GA

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    I think he was pressin' on it a couple weekends ago at LRP... I'm guessing we might see him pressin' it again at Watkins Glen in July and September, and/or NHMS in August and September, and of course back at LRP in September.

How many times you gonna be pressin' it...?

GA
    Because it's the 'easy button', when you press it you are supposed to be guaranteed a win and a track record!

I am almost ready to switch hobbies (transfer the money burn) but I will be pressing it at the NARRC Runoffs for sure...but what will happen when 10 people press the same button! LOL
    Andy Bettencourt

...but what will happen when 10 people press the same button! LOL
    We rename it "Improved Spec Miata"...?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    We rename it "Improved Spec Miata"...?
    EXTRA tow trucks!!!!
    Andy Bettencourt

Because it's the 'easy button', when you press it you are supposed to be guaranteed a win and a track record!

I am almost ready to switch hobbies (transfer the money burn) but I will be pressing it at the NARRC Runoffs for sure...but what will happen when 10 people press the same button! LOL
    Thought you had an ITS miata in the works, or are you giving up racing for cross stitching?
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    Thought you had an ITS miata in the works, or are you giving up racing for cross stitching?
    Trying to make a trade for a 99 SM we built...

Youngest might want a cart now.
    Andy Bettencourt